• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Would Happen If The US Attacks Iran?

Cynic

What is likely to happen if the US attacks Iran?
Well, because our military is worn thin, and because of public and international opinion, it would be a complete diplomatic and military disaster. I think on an international level, the U.S. would be seen as increasingly belligerent, and a threat to the rest of the world.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Well, because our military is worn thin, and because of public and international opinion, it would be a complete diplomatic and military disaster.
A military worn thin is a military no less capable of carrying out a surgical strike.

Cynic

A military worn thin is a military no less capable of carrying out a surgical strike.
It would obviously end up being like another Iraq, and we wouldn't have enough troops to stabilize both Iran and Iraq simultaneously.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Well, because our military is worn thin, and because of public and international opinion, it would be a complete diplomatic and military disaster. I think on an international level, the U.S. would be seen as increasingly belligerent, and a threat to the rest of the world.

The army is worn thin. The Air Force and Navy are not over-extended at this time. A notion that's being kicked around Washington is for a massive air strike at about 12,000 targets over the course of three or so days with no ground invasion. The thinking is that such a strike would decimate the Iranian nation -- it's infrastructure, military, economy, and political structure -- and might even lead to regime change without the necessity of attacking on the ground (except for some attacks by special forces). What do you make of that?

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
What is likely to happen if the US attacks Iran?

Same thing that happened when America attacked Afghanistan and Iraq......a whole lot of afghanis and iraqis will die and no one will give a flying ****. America will say it is fighting terrorism, and that'll be that. After that they will attack another country that happens to be predominately muslim.....wash rinse repeat.

UnityNow101

Agreed Muslimah. America will continue it's war on what it perceives as terror, while forgetting and pushing aside the terror which it inflicts upon the people of the war-torn countries. I pray that an attack on Iran does not occur, mostly because I don't want to see us lose another 3,000+ Americans to secure our economic and political endeavors in the Middle East. It has nothing to do with freedom or terror, and everything to do with the $$$ attributed to the oil profits. Do we really need to do any more harm to the people of the Middle East? How much help should we give to these "terrorist" groups and their recruitment efforts?

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Ugh, if the U.S. was to attack Iraq, I don't think many people would hold the U.S. in such high regard any longer.

"Terrorism" is a poor excuse for war
"Liberation" is a poor excuse for war

I feel there is no good excuse for war

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
^^^ Woops, IRAN!!! NOT Iraq. lol

UnityNow101 said:
I pray that an attack on Iran does not occur, mostly because I don't want to see us lose another 3,000+ Americans

Let alone the lives of others....

Cynic

The army is worn thin. The Air Force and Navy are not over-extended at this time. A notion that's being kicked around Washington is for a massive air strike at about 12,000 targets over the course of three or so days with no ground invasion. The thinking is that such a strike would decimate the Iranian nation -- it's infrastructure, military, economy, and political structure -- and might even lead to regime change without the necessity of attacking on the ground (except for some attacks by special forces). What do you make of that?
I'm no military analyst, but I think its bull ****. Sounds like another "Shock and Awe," only without ground forces. Did Shock and Awe work in Iraq? Yes, and no. We're still fighting insurgents.
Who knows what would happen. Other Islamic nations may think the U.S. has gone to far, and interpret the aggression as war against the Muslim world. My assumption is, is that it would substantially increase the amount of insurgency in Iraq, and may provoke other nations into declaring war against the U.S. and possibly Israel.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Cynic said:
may provoke other nations into declaring war against the U.S.

And if not declaring war, they will probably feel more hostile towards the U.S.

Sometimes I feel (and this may be incorrect) that the U.S. feels itself to be the "guardian" of the planet, and that it tries to have a hand in everything and doing things it believes to be "the right thing" (when in fact, it may not)

Cynic

Well apparently, the mass bombing would be a joint operation with Israel... I think this would increase the chance of other Islamic nations declaring war. If Israel is involved, I don't think any Islamic nation would be able to make any serious confrontations (esp in ground combat). Apparently, the Israeli army is superior even in comparison to the U.S. army, and secondary to that of China in numbers (what some Intelligence officer told me over a year ago). I think that Islamic nations would probably avoid any serious confrontations, and compensate with terrorism and insurgency. Lets hope that nukes don't get involved.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
Apparently the pres of Iran does not think US will attack them:

Iran's Ahmadinejad: No attack on Israel - Yahoo! News

In the same articale we can see that for some reason Israel wants them destroyed. Wonder why Israel feels threatened by them?

Also we can see that the propoganda has already started against Iran. In this article they aer being accused of smuggling missiles to Iraq....the dirty Iranians.........:

US says Iran smuggling missiles to Iraq - Yahoo! News

This whole thing sickens me. What sickens me even more is that some people are hopelessly blind to what is really happening. Has anyone thought about why US and Israel is in such cahoots with each other? Iran has done nothing to US or Israel but are being targeted nonetheless. Iraq people were on the bad end of the sanction stick for more than a decade, but nobody talks about that. The sanctions did little to harm Sadam but much to harm the citizens themselves, then after all that they have to get bombed and killed, and when they fight back with what little they have they are terrorists for it. Why do people believe that these muslim countries are amassing weapons when arms embargos, and sanctions on food and medical supplies keep them graveling for the basics of life. They have little time to focus on making weapons and amassing an army to do much of anything. The truth of that statement is verified by the utter lack of military strength and weapons when they are attacked. Decades of these sanctions make these countries ripe for the picking which is what is happening. They can be attacked and conquered at will because they are weak. They are surrounded by what could have been their allies had any of them had the strength or wherewithall to thwart an attack, or onslaught is a more fitting word.

Booko

Deviled Hen
The thinking is that such a strike would decimate the Iranian nation -- it's infrastructure, military, economy, and political structure -- and might even lead to regime change without the necessity of attacking on the ground (except for some attacks by special forces). What do you make of that?

Knowing the Persians that I do and the great pride they have as a people with a great history, I would not be surprised if a strike by us did the opposite of regime change. The Persians tend to unify when attacked, even more than other cultures might. They would line up behind the mullas just as they did during the Iran-Iraq War, more likely than not.

If you want to really understand a Persian reaction to an attack of this nature, understand first their incredible cultural willingness to martyr themselves:

Day of Ashura - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If we had to take out facilities to prevent Iran from getting nukes, that's one thing.

But if we think it would cause the regime to topple, we are deluding ourselves. We would do better to keep our hands off and let them handle their own affairs.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Sometimes I feel (and this may be incorrect) that the U.S. feels itself to be the "guardian" of the planet, and that it tries to have a hand in everything and doing things it believes to be "the right thing" (when in fact, it may not)

If you mean our gov't, then in my opinion you are correct, and it does not appear to make any difference which party is in power.

This may be a good point to mention the adage: Pride goeth before a fall.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
If you mean our gov't, then in my opinion you are correct, and it does not appear to make any difference which party is in power.

This may be a good point to mention the adage: Pride goeth before a fall.

The sad thing is that your government reflects on your people. The government of any country that is voted in does that, because the people of your country pick the leaders and the government seats. So your government's views reflect the votes of the people. Unfortunately we may not have the best selection to choose between...