• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what would happen if other life was found?

scanz0r

Bit of a weird question :p But I was wondering, personally if it popped up on the news that we were contacted by aliens i'd be like "woah cool stuff!" but how would religious people react to this sort of news? would they think the same or riot over it? would this debunk something and make them angry?

I think it's only fair now to say, what if it was somehow proven that god does exist for all the non-religious people? proven in a way that you simply can't reject it.. i'm not religious but I guess my reaction would be "oh.. alrite"

roger1440

I do stuff
Bit of a weird question :p But I was wondering, personally if it popped up on the news that we were contacted by aliens i'd be like "woah cool stuff!" but how would religious people react to this sort of news? would they think the same or riot over it? would this debunk something and make them angry?

I think it's only fair now to say, what if it was somehow proven that god does exist for all the non-religious people? proven in a way that you simply can't reject it.. i'm not religious but I guess my reaction would be "oh.. alrite"
Aliens live next door to me. I think they are from Mexico.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'd love to wake up to announcements that alien life has been discovered.

Unless it looks like the beginning of Mars Attacks....

If we're to be conquered, I'd rather that not be while someone played a theremin.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.

Welcome them because:
[Holy Quran @ alislam.org, ch 42:v30] And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and of whatever living creatures He has spread forth in both. And He has the power to gather them together when He pleases.

Last edited:

scanz0r

Welcome them because:
[Holy Quran @ alislam.org, ch 42:v30] And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and of whatever living creatures He has spread forth in both. And He has the power to gather them together when He pleases.

nice, it doesn't claim we are alone.. do christians? I don't want to read the bible to find out.. so if a christians reads this :)

Theweirdtophat

An extraterristial is someone not from this plaent and the deities supposedly created this planet or at least visited it which by default would make the deities aliens, so I wouldn't have a problem with it. :)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
What we can, in fact, know in advance is that It almost certainly doesn't eat pork. A kosher alien! What more validation could I ask for?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I guess if you're looking for a formal answer, I'd say to the first they'd probably have to re-write the Bible. Believer assume that the Bible is wrapped around only human beings on earth and because it doesn't mention about other living beings on other planets, we (like years and years ago) believe we are in the center of the universe. The thought pattern hasn't changed much; we're just not throwing people in the pits and conquering nations for their lack of belief anymore (well, in America, at least..can't speak for other countries).

Believers would have to question whether God's promise is true for humans or does he have promises for all his creation--aliens included. It probably make them wonder about Adam and Eve, the supposed start of the humankind. Also, it may make them wonder what category to put an alien in--is he an animal (then that would fit, God created animals. A plant?) If none of the above, where would aliens fit on this "human focused" faith.

For the second part, I honestly believe most atheist would be surprised. A lot of them will actually fall to their knees--not because they believe in an all powerful and all loving God--but because of fear. It is actually contradicts who God is when it comes to love when you have to bow down to him in fear or else. That, and not knowing what will happen--just like these days, is a reason to fear.

Some atheist might just laugh. I think these are the more solid of the bunch. They'd hold up their hands and just say "okay, take me away then."

I think, for me, I'd be fearful and abrephensive at first--given that's our first reaction to surprises. Then I would laugh too because it's just too funny that what can be ridiculous to one person is completely true to another--ironic.

I think in both cases, we feel the universe is wrapped us. If there was life elsewhere and we were not the center of the universe, we'd still have our morals regardless.

morphesium

This should be a big blow to all religions. The claims of the religion that exists here will be disproved to the believers themselves.None of the Gods that exist here will be found elsewhere.

in that case ...............................eh....................................................it won't be any of our earthly religions.........................may be .....................eh,................... well, people everywhere has different religions all of them are fighting against each other, it should be the case else where. The only thing common to all would be atheists (or people who don't believe or care about their religion). ; so there no possibility for a universal religion.

Last edited:

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
This should be a big blow to all religions. The claims of the religion that exists here will be disproved to the believers themselves.None of the Gods that exist here will be found elsewhere.

in that case ...............................eh....................................................it won't be any of our earthly religions.........................may be .....................eh,................... well, people everywhere has different religions all of them are fighting against each other; so there no possibility for a universal religion.

I would concede entirely, as a theist, that if we found life abundant in the universe, specifically intelligent life, it would cast doubt on some of my beliefs, that perhaps we were not special, the primary intended beneficiaries of creation.

So naturally I am also willing to accept the opposite implication, of observed reality, the 'great silence' , how about you?

morphesium

I would concede entirely, as a theist, that if we found life abundant in the universe, specifically intelligent life, it would cast doubt on some of my beliefs, that perhaps we were not special, the primary intended beneficiaries of creation.
I believe that we are not special and there is no primary intended beneficiary. Sun is just a star among the countless billions of stars. So if life is possible here, life should be possible else where. we are alien's alien.
So naturally I am also willing to accept the opposite implication, of observed reality, the 'great silence' , how about you?

You believe in god because you have your own reasons. So is the case with me. I believe all the gods that we know are man made. The true god speak to us through or morale - this is what I believe and that he doesn't need the help of a holy book to talk to us. If I have reasons to believe in (a particular ) god, then definitely i will.

Theweirdtophat

I believe that we are not special and there is no primary intended beneficiary. Sun is just a star among the countless billions of stars. So if life is possible here, life should be possible else where. we are alien's alien.

You believe in god because you have your own reasons. So is the case with me. I believe all the gods that we know are man made. The true god speak to us through or morale - this is what I believe and that he doesn't need the help of a holy book to talk to us. If I have reasons to believe in (a particular ) god, then definitely i will.

It also depends on what you consider to be a deity. I don't think the idea of deities as aliens as impossible. I never really thought they were man made as I don't believe people would have wasted time building entire temples and statues to deities that don't exist. I believe they existed on this planet. Ever notice how in the bible it actually shows God interacting with humans and directly performing miracles but we don't see God or the other deities personally anymore. It makes me believe that they were here, made us what we are and then left. and might possibly return.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

I think the universe would have to be much bigger to make another Earth probable, but as another hypothetical, if we could somehow determine that we were in fact alone, the only means by which the universe was able to ponder it's own existence, be appreciated from within..
would this give you pause? or would you feel comfortable writing this off as one more staggering coincidence?

allfoak

Alchemist
There is a coming paradigm shift from the male linear way of thinking to the female intuitive.
This shift can only occur when the current state of organized religion either changes its ways or goes away entirely.
Since i don't think it is going to go away then it will be forced to change it's ways in order to keep it's relevance.

There are already many, many reputable people on record claiming that aliens exist.
What needs to happen is that we the human race need see them over our cities and homes.
We are very stubborn.
It is then that we will wake up to the reality that the universe is much more vast than we are able to comprehend.
At this point organized religion will have little relevance philosophically.
It will no longer make sense.
However the details play out we can be certain that we as a human race will never be the same again.
This is a topic that has been brought up in a public speech by more than one US president.

Independence-Day-2-and-3-Plot-Details.jpg

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often

Personally, after we establish some form of communication with them (I assume they don't speak English :)) it would be interesting to find out their opinion on how the universe came to be.

Theweirdtophat

Knowing how advanced they are, they most likely have translators. :) Of course not every alien we'd encounter would be advanced and some would be as advanced as us or have less technological advancements.