• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would falsify the theory of evolution?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
You keep saying this but you never actually demonstrate it.

And not only that, but it's based on long-ago debunked creationist claims going back about 50 years or so. Science has obviously come a long way since then. But seriously, these talking points were old back then. I mean seriously, look at you here talking about how it's impossible for the eye to have evolved. What are you going to do next, quote-mine Darwin? Come on.

Apparently you aren't aware either that scientists have pieced together how eyes have evolved (from, but not limited to), examples in species that exist today all over the world that exhibit eyes in various stages of the sequence of eye evolution that they've pieced together.

The Origin of the Vertebrate Eye - Evolution: Education and Outreach
Visualizing the Evolution of Vision and the Eye
Evolution and development of complex eyes: a celebration of diversity
Eye evolution and its functional basis
Light and the evolution of vision | Eye

By the way, irreducible complexity, as a concept, has been dead in the water for years.

I am aware of the typical arguments. These I've not heard addressed:

Since I have an arched foot with 26 bones in it--and an arch structure is irreducibly complex (the arch falls without each component within) and there are no transitory fossils between my arched foot and the flat foot of other apes--what is the statistical likelihood that the arched foot evolved via random processes, most of these processes reducing, rather than adding, information?

Or since the eye is thought to have evolved up to 30 times across different species, what " "?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I hold SIZABLE evidence for God, it is clear you've not studied prophecy or gematria--or know the love of Christ.
Prophecy is one of the huge failings of the Bible, all the Bible code nonsense that I have seen failed. And how does the "love of Christ" help you? I do not think that you understand the concept of evidence in this context.

As to prophecy this article gives reasonable standards for a "true prophecy" and they give the reasons for those standards. I doubt if your prophecies can meet those standards:

Biblical prophecies

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Sample questions:

Since I have an arched foot with 26 bones in it--and an arch structure is irreducibly complex (the arch falls without each component within) and there are no transitory fossils between my arched foot and the flat foot of other apes--what is the statistical likelihood that the arched foot evolved via random processes, most of these processes reducing, rather than adding, information?

Or since the eye is thought to have evolved up to 30 times across different species, what " "?
An arch is not irreducibly complex, and it is a poor analogy. Arches do not reproduce. That right away makes it a bad thing to compare to. And the evolution of an arch is dead simple. It occurred slowly. Bones are never straight. There is always going to be some variation from being perfectly straight. When the variation is genetic it is affected by natural selection. It only takes a slight edge for an improvement to be introduced into the system. Feet were never "flat". There always was some variation. And if selection keeps the more arched ones in a thousand generations or less an arched foot will be the norm. This is a very easy change.

You should know by now that there are not any examples of "irreducible complexity" that have survived peer review. In fact most of them are so weak that they do not even survive the initial publication process. Behe has lost all of his credibility in the scientific community. There is nothing career ending with being wrong. All scientists are wrong at times or they ae simply not trying hard enough. What is not appreciated is being wrong and then endlessly denying it.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Sample questions:

I know there is no point in asking, since you have twice failed to address my questions, but I'll ask a few more anyway.

How is it that you have determined the irreducible complexity of the arch in human feet? For that matter, how have you substantiated irreducible complexity in general? Do you mean that there are no known fossil intermediates or that they simply don't exist and never have? How have you determined that?

I don't know how it would have evolved through random processes. I would say that the probability is pretty small to non-existent, especially given that evolution as we understand it is not a purely random process. What is the theoretical basis that you use to consider evolution as a purely random process?

What significance is it that you see in making claims about purely random processes adding or reducing information in living populations? How does that apply to the observed phenomena of evolution?

You lost me even more here. Not only is this not an effective response to my previous questions, it sort of just hangs there for no discernable reason and appears to be a pointless jab at evolution to no logical end.

Are you not aware that the known animals with eyes have different eyes arising from different embryonic origins and some with radically different structures? Do you think that insect eyes and humans eyes are pretty much replicas of each other?

What is the basis for your hanging and ever so empty declaration about convergent evolution of eyes?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
An arch is not irreducibly complex, and it is a poor analogy. Arches do not reproduce. That right away makes it a bad thing to compare to. And the evolution of an arch is dead simple. It occurred slowly. Bones are never straight. There is always going to be some variation from being perfectly straight. When the variation is genetic it is affected by natural selection. It only takes a slight edge for an improvement to be introduced into the system. Feet were never "flat". There always was some variation. And if selection keeps the more arched ones in a thousand generations or less an arched foot will be the norm. This is a very easy change.

You should know by now that there are not any examples of "irreducible complexity" that have survived peer review. In fact most of them are so weak that they do not even survive the initial publication process. Behe has lost all of his credibility in the scientific community. There is nothing career ending with being wrong. All scientists are wrong at times or they ae simply not trying hard enough. What is not appreciated is being wrong and then endlessly denying it.

There are no transitory fossils between my arched foot and the flat foot of other apes, because . . . ?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I know there is no point in asking, since you have twice failed to address my questions, but I'll ask a few more anyway.

How is it that you have determined the irreducible complexity of the arch in human feet? For that matter, how have you substantiated irreducible complexity in general? Do you mean that there are no known fossil intermediates or that they simply don't exist and never have? How have you determined that?

I don't know how it would have evolved through random processes. I would say that the probability is pretty small to non-existent, especially given that evolution as we understand it is not a purely random process. What is the theoretical basis that you use to consider evolution as a purely random process?

What significance is it that you see in making claims about purely random processes adding or reducing information in living populations? How does that apply to the observed phenomena of evolution?

You lost me even more here. Not only is this not an effective response to my previous questions, it sort of just hangs there for no discernable reason and appears to be a pointless jab at evolution to no logical end.

Are you not aware that the known animals with eyes have different eyes arising from different embryonic origins and some with radically different structures? Do you think that insect eyes and humans eyes are pretty much replicas of each other?

What is the basis for your hanging and ever so empty declaration about convergent evolution of eyes?

*How is it that you have determined the irreducible complexity of the arch in human feet?*

An arch falls without all of its components in place, and another key indicator--there are no transitory fossils between my arched foot and the flat foot of other apes.

It is thought that the simple eye--based on phylogenetic tree lines--evolved up to 30 separate times in different creatures. You find this statistically likely?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I am aware of the typical arguments. These I've not heard addressed:

I literally just addressed the eye "argument" in the post you were responding to.

You ignored what I said and just posted it again ... ?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
*How is it that you have determined the irreducible complexity of the arch in human feet?*

An arch falls without all of its components in place, and another key indicator--there are no transitory fossils between my arched foot and the flat foot of other apes.

It is thought that the simple eye--based on phylogenetic tree lines--evolved up to 30 separate times in different creatures. You find this statistically likely?

How so? And repeating your false claim does not help you. Why is an arch irreducibly complex? You need something more than an argument from ignorance to support your claim.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
It took me less than 5 minutes to find that and a few other really good resources that summarize the data regarding hominid fossil feet, including descriptions of specimens that exhibit intermediate traits.

Yet @BilliardsBall just repeats his question as if you'd not posted a thing. It's truly bizarre to watch, isn't it?

Heyo

Veteran Member
It took me less than 5 minutes to find that and a few other really good resources that summarize the data regarding hominid fossil feet, including descriptions of specimens that exhibit intermediate traits.

Yet @BilliardsBall just repeats his question as if you'd not posted a thing. It's truly bizarre to watch, isn't it?
I'll stop replying to @BilliardsBall. I even contemplated to set him on ignore.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I'm content when they have embarrassed themselves enough to not be taken serious by others. They can't do any harm any more.
That makes me wonder.....are there any creationists here at RF who haven't reached that point?