• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What will happen

PureX

Veteran Member
By selfishness do you mean ego?
Most religions see self-centered desire as being detrimental to the human spirit, both individually and collectively (and therefor to "God"). Ego, I think, is very often included in that, but I also think that ego as a human phenomena is not the problem, it's that our egos tend to become over or under-inflated, causing us to become way too focused on our sense of self, and way too unmindful of others, and of the world around us, and of "God".

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's not really about doing wrong deeds, it's about the selfishness within us that inspires us to do them. If that selfishness remains, even though we refrain from acting on it, we have not changed, nor have we been healed, spiritually.

As long as we have egos, selfishness, our journey is incomplete.

I am 100% against death penalty

If someone tries to commit mass murder and I can stop that criminal only by killing him, I see it as positive. I do think that the death penalty is too often used when it should not be, but that's a different question.

I believe everyone does what they feel is right for them to do at the moment they are doing it.Other people may see it as wrong.

Very often that's true.

Shantanu

Most religions see self-centered desire as being detrimental to the human spirit, both individually and collectively (and therefor to "God"). Ego, I think, is very often included in that, but I also think that ego as a human phenomena is not the problem, it's that our egos tend to become over or under-inflated, causing us to become way too focused on our sense of self, and way too unmindful of others, and of the world around us, and of "God".
In the religion of Existential Buddhism one has no desires, one just responds to situations that arise in ones life as a matter of course because one is not alone and does need to address issues that crop up in ones life so as to basically just survive and hopefully live up to a grand old age with or without God's help. Let God be the judge of whether we as individuals deserve such an outcome to our dispositions.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I think you know when something is immoral by its perceived effect on the psyche, the body, the well being and the spiritual outlook of another person.

General morality evidences itself though it may be hard to put into words. Someone will always take the attempt out of its intended context and come up with situations or scenarios where it is a rightful defense to do harm.

I think its so right to define morality as can be generally accepted by all.

Of course there is going to be personal moral codes that not everybody will want to follow, and some will want to follow.

But there are general objective morals that everybody should agree on that only promotes and fosters civilization. Too much of general basic morality is thrown under the bus as if it doesnt exist.

I mean dont murder an innocent being already. Dont thieve and cheat people. Give as deserves! Keep the virtues! Live and let live the innocent people! No assault! No rape! Serve the greater common good!

There's always a large group of people out there that do not want a general basic morality, so they can have license to do what they want no matter what it is.

Niblo

Premium Member
Walk into a wall - get bruised. Step off a tall building - somewhat worse. There are signs - "Don't walk into this wall!" and "Don't step off here." We tend to not read the signs.

Especially ones that read: 'Wet paint...do not touch.' :rolleyes:

Neuropteron

In all spiritual practice learning to not do wrong deed, it is part of the teaching, But ofcourse as practitioners we do wrong from time to time. But what happens when we do wrong deed? We will suffer in one way or the other, right?

In my understanding, as long we understand our fault and do not do them again we are on the path of right action. But if we do wrong and think "well i did wrong but who care" then we are on the wrong path of action,
Same is for speech and thought too.

Do you have any thought on this?

It certainly is worth the effort to "walk in the way of good people" (Prov 2:20).

Because good will ultimately triumph over evil.

The Bible states: "Evildoers themselves will be cut off... Just a little while longer, and the wicked one will be no more. But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth, and will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace" (Ps 37:9).

A glorious future awaits those who work diligently to practice good!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Right and wrong were not etched by any God. They are social rules, even animal societies have their rules (as if we are not animals). When we do wrong, others in society also may suffer.