• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What value do we place on a child’s time?

coberst

Labor has been commodified in the American culture.

I would guess that the average working person makes about $30 an hour. That would be $1200 per week and about $60,000 per year.

The average big corporate CEO makes about 500 times the average worker thus they make about $15,000 per hour.

How do we determine how much we value the time of a child? I guess we might say that a K-12 teacher makes average wages and has about 30 children in their classroom thus we value a child’s time at about $1 per hour.

Do we evaluate a child’s time too highly or too lowly? I think that we place too little value on a child’s time.

The lower we place the value of a child’s time the more likely will a parent or teacher spend less time with that child. The lower value we place on a child’s time the more willing we are to allow that child to “waste time”.

Adolescence appears to be something that has developed late in our culture. A hundred years ago a child became an adult at 16 and today that age often extends to the early to mid 20s.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Not agreeing with all your numbers but interested in why you want to figure the amount.

Things to consider most schools use a teachers aid with more than 20 students.
Art teachers, Gym teachers are seperate in the elementry years. In the High school years there is one teacher per class they have.

How much of the parents salary goes towards their children.

Is the value of a childs time only the money we spend on them or also the time we give them.

Having two boys they require my time and I give it to them most of the day sacrificing my own time. This would be different for all parents.

I know for me I would like a reason for why it is necessary to figure the value of a childs time and how do you want to quantify it. Just money spent on them in public or public and private or public and private and time given.

coberst

Our society commodifies labor thus the dollar value of time is a normal mode for determining value.

The more valuable a society considers a child's time to be the better care they make of the child's time. And the more valuable a child's time the less inclined a parent is to trade the time with the child for a minimum wage job.

If we placed a higher value on a child's time we could better recognize the importance of a good education.

Let us say that we felt that a child's time was worth $100 per hour. Would parents treat that child the same as if they set a value at $1? Would we value education at a much greater value? Would we value a teacher at a much greater value? Would a mother go to work at a minimum wage salary except in the most urgent need? Would we allow teens to waste so much time on non sense?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
What we need then is to define Value. Value is very different to many people. My children to me are infinitely valuable.

I however do not hold in high esteem the public or private schools systems. They have a value but not very high.

I also value the usless stuff my children do. There is a lot of value in doing nothing or playing video games.

In fact there is value in anything you do as you always learn something as long as your alive. Life will throw everything at you as you grow.

As to excepting a minimum wage job and having children. I could see you making that choice if you wanted to be with your kids and not just spend on them. Also as a second worker of the family to survive in these hard times and still have time for the kids.

For me my children are infinitely valuable. The biggest fights my wife and I have are how we need to treat the children. For me I want my children to understand the real world. This means the boring, slow, hard and hurtful world. I also want them to be happy. This means allowing them to find out what they like to do. Spending useless time doing nothing. It also means finding a way to spend time with them. If I could be paid less and have more time at home and still survive I would do it.

I guess your question is not aimed at parents but at non-parents who don't understand the value of a child. A monetary value can not be set. Without children life stops.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I'm 19, and I'm never going to be an adult. :D

I don't get what you mean though. Are you saying teachers should get paid more so parents will take the education of their children more seriously? and are you saying that teenagers should work harder instead of having fun? Because a big part of being alive is having fun. Who would want to live if all they ever did was work?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend coberst,

Since this is in the philosophy section would state that philosophically speaking there is nothing as *TIME* and so *value*to it becomes meaningless.
One is born empty handed and will die empty handed.
Wealth does not make one immune to either birth or death.
Love & rgds

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The lower we place the value of a child’s time the more likely will a parent or teacher spend less time with that child. The lower value we place on a child’s time the more willing we are to allow that child to “waste time”.
Sadly, I do that to my cat.

coberst

BobHikes

I am primarily speaking about the value society places upon the time of children in general. Of course we all value our children and our self highly but society places a dollar value on us. In a capitalist society value is determined by the market evalation.

coberst

I'm 19, and I'm never going to be an adult. :D

I don't get what you mean though. Are you saying teachers should get paid more so parents will take the education of their children more seriously? and are you saying that teenagers should work harder instead of having fun? Because a big part of being alive is having fun. Who would want to live if all they ever did was work?

I would say that if society placed a high value on the time of children we, the United States, would not have such a lousy educational system and would not deprive some children of adequate health care and dental care.

coberst

Friend coberst,

Since this is in the philosophy section would state that philosophically speaking there is nothing as *TIME* and so *value*to it becomes meaningless.
One is born empty handed and will die empty handed.
Wealth does not make one immune to either birth or death.
Love & rgds

Whoo! I never realized that philosophy teaches us that time or even TIME does not exist.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend coberst,

Whoo! I never realized that philosophy teaches us that time or even TIME does not exist.

Since it point is understood can you elaborate as to what is time a function of?
Love & rgds

coberst

Friend coberst,

Since it point is understood can you elaborate as to what is time a function of?
Love & rgds

Time, motion, and change are such basic philosophical concepts that we see them being considered by all philosophers throughout Western philosophical thinking. These are fundamental concepts about which philosophers theorize and they are fundamental concepts about which every DickandJane deal with constantly in their ever-day actions and thoughts.

All of these concepts are abstract ideas that are constructed of multiple metaphors resulting from literal ever-day experiences. Our society thinks of metaphors as being the venue of poets; however, metaphors are not arbitrary or culturally and historically specific. “Rather, they tend to be normal, conventional, relatively fixed and stable, non arbitrary, and widespread throughout the cultures, and languages of the world”

Most importantly we must recognize these metaphors as being abstract but also that they are grounded in specific experiences.

Philosophers have theorized as to whether time really is; is it bounded, is it continuous or divided, does it flow like a river, is time the same to everyone, and is it long or short. These are common questions for DickandJane but philosophy seems to discount most of these human quizzes as being irrelevant. Often philosophers point out paradoxes embodied within these questions.

We have a rich and diverse notion of what time is. Time is not a thing-in-itself that we conceptualize as being independent. “All of our understandings of time are relative to other concepts such as motion, space, and events …We define time by metonymy: successive iterations of a type of event stand for intervals of “time”.” Consequentially, the basic literal properties of our concept of time are consequences of properties of events: Time is directional, irreversible, segmentable, continuous, and measurable.

We do have an experience of time but that experience is always in conjunction with our real experiences of events. “It also means that our experience of time is dependent on our embodied conceptualization of time in terms of events…Experience does not always come prior to conceptualization, because conceptualization is itself embodied. Further, it means that our experience of time is grounded in other experiences, the experiences of events.”

It is virtually impossible for us to conceptualize time as a stand alone concept without metaphor. Physics defines motion, i.e. velocity, in terms of distance and time, thereby indicating motion is secondary to time and distance. However, metaphorically we appear to place time as dependent upon the primitive sense of motion. “There is an area of our visual system of our brain that is dedicated to the processing of motion.”

MOVING TIME METAPHOR

“There is a lone, stationary observer facing in a fixed direction. There is an indefinite long sequence of objects moving past the observer from front to back. The moving objects are conceptualized as having fronts in their direction of motion.”

The time has long past for that answer. The time has come. Time flies by. Summer is almost past. I can see the face of trouble. I cannot face the future. The following days will tell the story.

In this metaphor I conceptualize time as an object moving toward me. The times that are in front of me are conceptualized as the future and the times that have passed me are the past. The present time is that time that is now beside me. This is why we speak of the here and now. My position is a reference point, thus tomorrow is before me and yesterday is past me. I can see the future and the past is gone forever.

MOVING OBSERVER or TIME’S LANDSCAPE

The second major metaphor for time represents a moving observer wherein the present is the position on the path in which the observer is positioned.

In this metaphor the observer is moving through time. Time is a path that I move through. Time, i.e. the path can be long or short, time can be bounded.

There is trouble ahead. Let’s spread this project over several days. We reached summer already.

In this metaphor we construct temporal correlates with distance measurements: long, short, pass, through, over, down the road, etc.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend coberst,

You are well read, intelligent and can neither add or subtract from all that you have written.
Only factor that would like to bring to your notice is that philosophy is MIND matter whereas RELIGION starts only when that very mind STILLS.
The two can never meet.
Religion is about LIFE which is HERE-NOW and in that here-now time is always in the present, never past or future and in the present time stills as does the mind.
Sorry, if had waylaid your thread, my sincere apologies for any harm caused knowingly or unknowingly but without any such intentions.
Love & rgds

coberst

Friend coberst,

You are well read, intelligent and can neither add or subtract from all that you have written.
Only factor that would like to bring to your notice is that philosophy is MIND matter whereas RELIGION starts only when that very mind STILLS.
The two can never meet.
Religion is about LIFE which is HERE-NOW and in that here-now time is always in the present, never past or future and in the present time stills as does the mind.
Sorry, if had waylaid your thread, my sincere apologies for any harm caused knowingly or unknowingly but without any such intentions.
Love & rgds

I have been told and I agree that philosophy is about radically critical self-consciousness. Religion is, I think, the result of the fact that humans cannot tolerate the fact of their mortality and thus try to repress the anxiety of that thought through the creation of religion which promises life eternal.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
BobHikes

I am primarily speaking about the value society places upon the time of children in general. Of course we all value our children and our self highly but society places a dollar value on us. In a capitalist society value is determined by the market evalation.

Yes they do but with children. The government sets a value on children. There are schooling standards, income standards (extra money given to those with children) and tax standards.

In private life the government sets another value if there is a divorse and social security is paid if there is a death.

Society sets a value for children, Laws are set to protect children, all towns have activities that cost money but are free for children to attend especially in the summer.

Commercial companies put a high value on children trying to attact the dollars govt and parents will pay.

Parents set the high value monetarily but it is very speculative.

When setting a monetary value for a child all the above must be included. Children are valued very high by us. Could it be higher yes but it is fine now. Could it be as an adult you are paying society back for the value you recieved. This is based on your opinion of the value you got but you set it as you agree to your salary.