1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what pagan religions are not strictly hard polytheistic

Discussion in 'Neopagan or Revival Religions' started by MochaRadha, Oct 1, 2012.

1. MochaRadha

MochaRadha Member

Ratings:
    +4
    besides wicca? I know many say it is but others say it can be duotheistic and so on,So I was wondering about other pagan, or other similar type religions

2. Gjallarhorn

Gjallarhorn N'yog-Sothep

Ratings:
    +970
    Hinduism, for one.

3. Storm

Storm ThrUU the Looking Glass

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    UU/ panentheist/ neopagan/ process theology
    Hinduism's pagan classification is arguable.

To the op, I'm not aware of any path that can't be interpreted with soft polytheism, so.....

4. MochaRadha

MochaRadha Member

Ratings:
    +4
    i dont know if hinduism truly is pagan but I can see how it would be in some ways

5. Storm

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    One definition of pagan is 'non-Abrahamic.' So, by that loosest of meanings, Hinduism qualifies.

6. Me Myself

Me Myself Back to my username

Ratings:
    +963
    "pagan" is so incredibly loose. I feel like a pagan by worshipping Shiva. I feel like a pagan merely by worshipping more than one god. Still, I dont feel it is a primary defining quality for me at all so that is why I dont treat this as my dir :eek:

(so, smite me if I set you off :eek: )

7. Storm

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    Eh, I don't think you're breaking the rule, myself.

I will point out, though, that that's almost certainly the reason they named this the NEOpagan/ Rivival Religions DIR, instead of simply Pagan.

Oh, and, before anyone wonders why *I* post here, as a former neopagan whose theological roots go deep, I got permission.

8. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,726
    Religion:
    Druidry
    I concur with Storm that any polytheistic path can be approached through a soft lens. However, in some cases, doing this would be a... historically inaccurate way of approaching certain types of paths. Soft polytheism is, by and large, a Neopagan thing. Some authors suggest that the tendency towards softness in Neopaganism is because many people have baggage from their monotheistic backgrounds and that as the movement matures, it will return more and more to the classical understanding of the gods (that is, hard polytheism). I can't say whether or not this trend is actually happening, but it has been observed by people more knowledgable and in tune with trends in Neopaganism than myself.

May I inquire as to why you ask this question, Mocha?

9. Storm

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    Granted, but that raises the specter of Reconstructionist historical legitimacy...

10. horizon

horizon Member

Ratings:
    +3
    As a Kemetic, I am not a hard polytheist.

11. MochaRadha

MochaRadha Member

Ratings:
    +4

i ask because some of the things in pagan or what ever religions you want to call it make sense to me more than abrahamic faiths so it was just a question out of curiosity. I dont mind praying to other gods and believe they may all exist but i believe they are all a part of one supreme creating for.

12. MochaRadha

MochaRadha Member

Ratings:
    +4

didnt most egyptians believe in monolartry

13. horizon

horizon Member

Ratings:
    +3
    The one and the many, yes. Modern Kemetics span more of a spectrum.

14. MochaRadha

MochaRadha Member

Ratings:
    +4

I did find that to be interesting also the fact they have a sky goddess and earth god

15. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,726
    Religion:
    Druidry
    Yeah, there are plenty of Neopagans who will agree with you on this kind of viewpoint. Personally, I think even playing the numbers game is missing the point. It's a map of the territory; they're all correct and incorrect from a certain point of view. Functionally, I operate as a hard polytheist. I experience reality as a series of discrete objects and I see little reason to not treat the gods (which are immanent within that reality) as equally discrete. The cottonwood tree is not a squirrel, the squirrel is not a city street, and the city street is not a beam of photons. Yes, they have relationships to each other, but they are not the same entity. Just my perspective. :D