• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What or how did everything start?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Can anyone explain to me what or how this universe come to existence, and i do not accept answers like.

It was the big bang...
It just happend.
It has always been there.
It is a string of universes (tell about the first one then)

What triggered the existence of the universe?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Can anyone explain to me what or how this universe come to existence, and i do not accept answers like.

It was the big bang...
It just happend.

Easy. It always existed.

Ciao

- viole

Heyo

Veteran Member

It was the big bang...
It just happend.

This is a loaded question. You assume that the universe exists. But that can't be because every way someone supposes how it can have come to be, there is a way to show that that explanation leads to a paradox.
So, really, the universe doesn't exist.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This is a loaded question. You assume that the universe exists. But that can't be because every way someone supposes how it can have come to be, there is a way to show that that explanation leads to a paradox.
So, really, the universe doesn't exist.
That sound like what atheists trying to convince believers in creation that nothing exist

Altfish

Veteran Member

It was the big bang...
It just happend.

We don't know is the only correct answer.

Heyo

Veteran Member
That sound like what atheists trying to convince believers in creation that nothing exist
That is the result of my thoughts about the beginning and/or creation. Whenever you think you have found a solution, you just stopped your thoughts at a convenient point. There is always an unanswerable question that makes the solution unsatisfactory.
At least one of our assumptions of what can't be, must be false, probably the universe is eternal or things happen randomly at random points in time.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

It was the big bang...
It just happend.

I'm one of those "The universe is math" people. I just think physical existence makes no sense but that order and chaos do, so maybe order and chaos do not need any substrate or creative substrate. Then perhaps the physical is actually not but is nothing. To me this makes sense, given that time could be an illusion. Perhaps every atom, star, speck of dust including our planet and each person is all part of an orderly mathematical structure. Imagine them not as changing but as higher dimensional structures. Pretend you can see all of history in one instant, as if everything (rather than being in motion) is a streak or a smear. Imagine your entire time is a streak of colors from a higher dimension, that every event, thought, action are part of one larger object, perhaps static and unchanging or perhaps momentary in a still higher dimensional framework. Then we can imagine how the universe exists. "Ah. So it doesn't exist!" Yes, that's how I see it. Our complexity is the only basis for claiming to be real.

Is there any evidence? Not really. Physical reality could be too complicated to be part of any orderly or chaotic representation. It could truly exist counter to my intuition, and my notion of order without substance may be ridiculous. How that is I cannot imagine. Since I cannot imagine a cause of existence, a cause for things to exist rather than not I prefer to be a universe is math person.

RestlessSoul

So when science speak of the beginning, they have a belief about it? Or guessing

They have a robust though incomplete theory, or rather network of theories supported by observation and mathematical modelling.

That the observable universe is expanding was confirmed in 1929, when American astronomer Edwin Hubble observed a phenomenon known as redshifting - an increase in the wavelengths of light from distant galaxies, making them appear red. This confirmed that galaxies are drifting apart.

Using measurements of the current rate of expansion, and mathematical models extrapolated from general relativity and quantum mechanics, astronomers worked backwards in time, to a universe beginning from a singularity (a point of infinite density and zero mass) approximately 13.8 billion years ago.

The detection in 1965 of Cosmic Background Radiation, effectively the sound of the Big Bang echoing through the cosmos, provides further observational evidence in support of the theory.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So when science speak of the beginning, they have a belief about it? Or guessing

They go by the physical evidence, i.e. the expansion of the universe which leads back to a single point and the cmb. They know what happened after 10e-43 of a second after the bb, anything before that can only be extrapolated or worked out mathematically. And that includes "I don't want to know anything other than god did it"

Brian2

Veteran Member

It was the big bang...
It just happend.

To say the universe was not created is a belief.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Easy. It always existed.

Ciao

- viole

That seems to presume an eternity of time into the past. But that is impossible, just as it is impossible to have an infinite number of universes in the past, just as it is impossible for time in theory B time to have been going around forever into the past.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Does science speak of "the beginning", though? I'm not convinced it does.

The Big Bang is a model of an early expansion from an initial state of high density and temperature. That says nothing about a "beginning".

Extrapolation back in time on the basis of current theory implies a "singularity" at a finite time in the past. That is not commonly spoken of as a "beginning", so far as I am aware, in part because science is cautious about whether or not current theory would still hold under those conditions.

So my understanding is that science makes no claim to have a theory of "the beginning", at least not in the strict sense, i.e. what happened at time = 0.

Neither guesswork, nor belief unsupported by evidence, are part of science. Though that does not prevent individual scientists from indulging in them.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Almost perfect. Just ...
(a point of infinite density and mass)
The mass of the universe is and always was finite. And to be mathematically correct, the density also isn't infinite but rather undefined. Density is mass/volume and when volume becomes 0, you'd have to divide by 0.
/nitpicking

Heyo

Veteran Member
That seems to presume an eternity of time into the past. But that is impossible, just as it is impossible to have an infinite number of universes in the past, just as it is impossible for time in theory B time to have been going around forever into the past.
So, by that logic there has to be a "first moment", right?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No it's not. It's quite possible.