• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What ONE critical piece of information made you decide to believe or disbelieve Jesus rose?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Because its irrational to conclude that they made it up .

No its not, thats just your view. Writers make up fictional stories all the time,. Many of them make a living wage doing just that. Why do you think its irrational?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
No I'm well aware of this nonsense . Just reading Paul's letters is painfully obvious no one can have any reason to reject Paul. You may as well reject the Whole NT ,because you have no good reason to accept them either if you reject Paul. Especially as Peter affirms Paul as does the book of Acts.
I am not rejecting Paul, I am only rejecting that verse and some others that make Jesus into someone He was not.

John1.12

Free gift
The scriptures are theological not reliable historical documents IMHO. They require careful interpretation. It sounds as if you are a Christian fundamentalist which is fine, but your beliefs rely on assumptions which are not shared outside your faith.
I Just consider myself a Christian, with some fair ability of reading comprehension . // The scriptures are theological not reliable historical documents IMHO//
Not sure exactly what you mean here ? But I believe the bible is a reliable account of things that happened. Thats how it reads . If you don't believe, fine. But the writers are intentionally writing things that happened as they saw and heard ect . So I see it as a reliable account of such things as how God created the universe, how he created man and why ect ..

John1.12

Free gift
No its not, thats just your view. Writers make up fictional stories all the time,. Many of them make a living wage doing just that. Why do you think its irrational?
If your comparing Star trek to the biblical narrative then this also is irrational.

MatthewA

Sorry to veer off the question in the OP, but what I do not understand is why it matters if Jesus rose or not.
I just cannot figure out why it would matter one way or another. :confused:
What would it prove even if we could prove that he rose from the dead, how would that help anyone at all?

Sorry if I offend some people, but I think the whole idea of the resurrection is completely superfluous and whether Jesus rose or not does not matter one iota. All that really matter are the teachings of Jesus and the cross sacrifice.

To me it personally matters about the Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ after having had died on the cross 3 days prior to having been laid to rest in the tomb which had a big stone to block it so no one would steal his body. Then 3 days later, they came back and the stone had been moved over, and there others at that burial site that told those who came upon it that the one who was laid here had risen and they would be met by Him; I believe in Jerusalem.

Jesus Christ coming, to earth. Paying for the sins of the Earth so that mankind could be reconciled back to God ~ by and through Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; because He came to restore what was lost by the first created humans, Adam and Eve.

So Jesus Christ paying for the sins of the world ; and having victory over; Satan, Sin, Death, The Grave, Hell/She'ol. (According to what the bible says). Jesus Christ raising again is justification of the fact that ~ Jesus Christ was not a liar when He told His disciples that He was going to die, and be risen again three days later, and that the Holy spirit would come after the Lord Jesus Christ had been resurrected, and had been taken up the heavenly realm to be with His Father.

This is a scripture which talks about in Romans 10: About how believing in that God raised Jesus Christ again from the dead is important.

Romans 10:8But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,”d that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: 9that if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For with your heart you believe and are justified, and with your mouth you confess and are saved. ~ In conclusion with Colossians 1:13-15 being pulled out of the Darkness, into the kingdom of Gods son through faith ~

If you do not believe that it is okay, this is from a general understanding of the bible. Thank you for reading but do not believe me if you believe I am wrong, because do not believe me but believe God, and Jesus Christ if you are a believer over me. If you are not a believer that is okay. ~ You take care.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
For me it's always been pretty simple.....none of it makes any sense. Why does a "god" have to commit suicide, then rise again, to save his own creation from his own rules?

Seems more like a variation of the primitive concept of blood sacrifice to me.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I Just consider myself a Christian, with some fair ability of reading comprehension . // The scriptures are theological not reliable historical documents IMHO//
Not sure exactly what you mean here ? But I believe the bible is a reliable account of things that happened. Thats how it reads . If you don't believe, fine. But the writers are intentionally writing things that happened as they saw and heard ect . So I see it as a reliable account of such things as how God created the universe, how he created man and why ect ..

The are five books in the NT that mention the resurrection, the four Gospel accounts and Paul’s first epistle to a church in Corinthians. We can not be certain of who authored any of the Gospels. They were most likely second or third generation Christians, not eye witnesses to the events they wrote. Paul converted to Christianity sometime after Christ’s alleged resurrection appearances.

By theological I mean an account that has religious significance and meaning. So Jesus being the Son of God is not like you and I would have a son. God had no consort. It is not to be taken literally. However the ‘Son of God’ narrative speaks of the close association between Jesus and God and much more besides.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Going to tell you a story, there is little direct evidence so don't ask for any, but it's the only one that makes sense to me.

Jesus was born the illigitimate son of a Roman soldier, Tiberius Julius Abdes Pantera, as mentioned in the Talmudn and other contemporary Jewish literature.

He grew to be resentful of Roman occupation and became a terrorist, perhaps a member of the fourth philosophy and possibly even the sicarii. Decrying Roman occupation and religion and so insulting the Emperor who was a god.

He was eventually captured, tried and executed as traitor to Rome and received a traitors death. Rome had several methods of execution (check out the one for patricide if you want to read something really weird),. Crucifixion was reserved for traitors, this info is available in just about any half decent history of Rome.

Jump in a time machine for 350 years and selective stories were compiled into the bible. It is my belief that an amalgamation of Jesus being a notorious anti Roman who united the Hebrews to resist Rome and John the Baptist who actually was a devout religious guy were used to compile the stories of what was to be Jesus

Of that original bible no copies exist so no one knows what it actually contained. The oldest complete bible is the vulgate written about 80 years after that. More were written, all subtly different until King James said "whoa, enough, i will create the definitive bible". He gathered around 40 of the best bible scholars of the time, have them the 6 most popular bibles of the time and told them to set to work.

The king james was born,it became the defacto standard outside of Catholicism until someone wrote another one, and another. There are once again many bibles (over 200 english language ones, who knows how many in other languages?) Each one subtly different.

Was he risen from the dead? Here is the only way that meets any medical reasoning. His followers managed to release him before he died, whether by bribery or violence is anyone's guess. His wounds tended, he recovered from his ordeal and managed to get out for a bit of fresh air. The problem was that the nails used to fasten him to the cross were not exactly sterile, he succumbed to blood poisoning and died, never to be seen again.

Just my view

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If you do not believe that it is okay, this is from a general understanding of the bible. Thank you for reading but do not believe me if you believe I am wrong, because do not believe me but believe God, and Jesus Christ if you are a believer over me. If you are not a believer that is okay. ~ You take care.
I am a believer in Jesus, but I do not believe that the body of Jesus rose from the dead. Mind you, not all Christians believe in the bodily resurrection but they are still Christians because they believe in Jesus.

What many liberal theologians believe about Jesus' death

Regarding my beliefs in Christianity, the following quote represents the official Baha'i position.

“As to the position of Christianity, let it be stated without any hesitation or equivocation that its divine origin is unconditionally acknowledged, that the Sonship and Divinity of Jesus Christ are fearlessly asserted, that the divine inspiration of the Gospel is fully recognized, that the reality of the mystery of the Immaculacy of the Virgin Mary is confessed, and the primacy of Peter, the Prince of the Apostles, is upheld and defended. The Founder of the Christian Faith is designated by Bahá’u’lláh as the “Spirit of God,” is proclaimed as the One Who “appeared out of the breath of the Holy Ghost,” and is even extolled as the “Essence of the Spirit.” His mother is described as “that veiled and immortal, that most beauteous, countenance,” and the station of her Son eulogized as a “station which hath been exalted above the imaginings of all that dwell on earth,” whilst Peter is recognized as one whom God has caused “the mysteries of wisdom and of utterance to flow out of his mouth.”
The Promised Day is Come, pp. 109-110

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am certain that God can do whatever God wants to do so a man like that would be very easy for God to bring back alive. Amen!