• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What more important to you

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you mean?
Humans don't have individual selves, it's just an illusion created by our thought processes. If anything we have many selves, but no uniform coherent self that brings all these things together.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
Humans don't have individual selves, it's just an illusion created by our thought processes. If anything we have many selves, but no uniform coherent self that brings all these things together.
I get what you're saying but I'm a bit sceptical about it........

I feel as though I have a consistent and enduring self so surely this is a case of "I think therefore I am"?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist

i agree. We are not our minds. We are not the thoughts in our heads, We are conciousness . The conciousness behind the mind

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ

Uh oh... Now the conversation is going meta

I would agree that the sense of self is misleading and is an easy trap for people to fall in - especially when it comes to over inflation and over reliance on the ego. This is one reason the idea of paradise style afterlives don't sit well with me. When it boils down to it, the idea of the "soul" in this case is just a want for the ego to persist beyond death, seems to me

vulcanlogician

What more important to you...
How you see yourself or how the world sees you?

Its not a debate. Its a discussion.

That's an interesting question. I don't really know.

They're both important to me. I guess, objectively, it easy to see that how one views oneself is most important. But subjectively speaking, at an instinctual level, I might be more inclined to concern myself with how the world sees me.

We Never Know

No Slack
That's an interesting question. I don't really know.

They're both important to me. I guess, objectively, it easy to see that how one views oneself is most important. But subjectively speaking, at an instinctual level, I might be more inclined to concern myself with how the world sees me.
Who I am means more to me than what other think I am.

We Never Know

No Slack
How the world sees me, most definitely

Because no matter how much of a dim view of myself I may take I know that I will always accept myself

I have no other option

The same cannot be said about others
However what others think of you doesn't define who you are.

We Never Know

No Slack

Reminds me of this...

IMG_20231127_170630.jpg

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I get what you're saying but I'm a bit sceptical about it........

I feel as though I have a consistent and enduring self so surely this is a case of "I think therefore I am"?
It's why I sometimes say there is an "Old Me" that is dead and gone and no more. That is someone who would not like me, at all, as I am now. Even who I was in Indiana became a new person when I moved to California.

Last edited:

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member
It's why I sometimes say there is an "Old Me" that is dead and gone and no more. That is someone who would not like me, at all, as I am now. Even who I was in Indiana became a new person when I moved to California.
I recall my son as a teenager. He was all liberal and also a Springsteen fan......when Springsteen was only doing onstage gigs. When Springsteen cut his first album or record, my son felt he was a trader to the cause, meaning Springsteen was trying to make money.
That was the old son....Now he's in business and has an office in NYC......What people think of you can mean you make a good living or not....

Shadow Wolf

What people think of you can mean you make a good living or not....
Yeah, that is unfortunate. Skills and abilities just arent the end-all, be-all in how far you'll go that they're hyped up to be.

Last edited:

vulcanlogician

Who I am means more to me than what other think I am.

Well sure. I think, at an intellectual level, we are all inclined to judge the inner worth of our being to a higher standard. But that's not the whole story. Once you acknowledge THAT you have to ask yourself how close you reach that mark. That can be a difficult question. Ideally, we all value inner qualities over outer perceptions. But the way we act socially can tell a different story.

Shadow Wolf

But the way we act socially can tell a different story.
I think that one scares people a bit, especially Westerners, especially Americans, because it's a blow to their hypothesis of free will. Some people call them masks, but fitting in with others is something we've evolved to do. We just do it, especially if we aren't aware we're doing it.
But ultimately "who we are," especially to others, massively depends on where we are amd who we're around. Often the changes and differences are mininal and cosmetic, but certain people and situations can draw out someone you've never actually seen before despite the familiar face.