• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Mistakes do Non-Muslims make when debating/discussing Islam with Muslims?

fatima_bintu_islam

Use it and tell me if it is what you were looking for, so that I can be sure its the appropriate website to give next time I give it to someone okey?

You're Welcome :)

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hi everyone, I am learning about Islam and I want to convert but I find it difficult getting answers to some of my questions. One person who I know personally who is a muslim dosent seem to like me asking questions. I read lots and some good and some bad. I dont need to question the good stuff because thats all 'good' and what I would want to hear. BUT.... when I see bad stuff and ask questions to my friend I will get an answer showing how it is wrong but then if I question it in another way then I get told I am not open minded and I am refusing to listen. This is simply not the case, its natural to want to make sure on all accounts that something that you have read which is really bad is actually not the true Islam.
For example I had read loads of things about the prophet Mohammed (pbuh) saying that he liked little children and he married a 9 year old. So I asked my Muslim friend about this and I was told that in those times it was natural for people to marry a lot younger because 1. they didnt live as long and 2. they matured younger. But then I read that he was in his 50's when he married and when I asked about this I was told that I am stupid for believing what I read and that I a am just trying to prove everything wrong.
I dont really know how I am meant to clear these questions up if I get that response. If I was not serious about this then I would have shut the door on it a while ago.

We will try to help you here as much as we can. No sincere question is ever stupid. :)

Sahar

One of the things that is very commen and that ruin any possible understanding is the weird imperlialistic mentality that many Westerners specifically have. I was discussing this with some of my sisters here. They are talking as if the entire world already follow their rules and if they don't, they must otherwise it's shocking that they don't think like them. "Oh you have a different view, I am shocked!"

Ok, this is similar to the post I made before in the thread :D...but it's really irritating thing that can never promote any positive discussion.

kai

ragamuffin
One of the things that is very commen and that ruin any possible understanding is the weird imperlialistic mentality that many Westerners specifically have. I was discussing this with some of my sisters here. They are talking as if the entire world already follow their rules and if they don't, they must otherwise it's shocking that they don't think like them. "Oh you have a different view, I am shocked!"

Ok, this is similar to the post I made before in the thread :D...but it's really irritating thing that can never promote any positive discussion.

Hi Sahar

I think thats a little unfair so--

One of the things that is very common and that ruins any possible understanding is the I know the truth mentality that many Muslims have.

They talk as if the entire world should follow their rules and if they don't then they should, otherwise its shocking. Oh you have a different view that's wrong!

Come on Sahar you speak from a position of knowing absolute truth as given you by God how could anyone by more imperialistic than that.

we cant debate here so i am just throwing you comment back at you because i see a similar front from Muslims who when using the word Imperialist often forget they are in fact remnants of one of the Largest Empires the world has ever known.

Peace Kai

Last edited:

Sahar

Hi Sahar

I think thats a little unfair so--

One of the things that is very common and that ruins any possible understanding is the I know the truth mentality that many Muslims have.

They talk as if the entire world should follow their rules and if they don't then they should, otherwise its shocking. Oh you have a different view that's wrong!

Come on Sahar you speak from a position of knowing absolute truth as given you by God how could anyone by more imperialistic than that.
With all due respect, everyone speaks from the position that his is right and based on this we debate and defend our positions. But to say Muslims, who are attacked day and night whether in media and the internet or actually attacked by bombs and rockets...have an "imperialistic mentality"...doesn't fit. Moreover, even in our arguments here, Muslims don't start threads saying oh why alcohol consumers are not punished in the US or in Britain, etc, as if the world already follow their rules....however, we find dozens of thread that ask with shock why Muslim countries don't follow the values of the OP who is 99.9% of the cases is a Westerner, that ask why this person is not punished in my country because he doesn't follow your laws? that ask why this people don't rebel against their government because you don't like their government? We should wipe Islam off the face of earth because it doesn't belong to the civilized world? You can't just change Westerner with Muslim.

we cant debate here so i am just throwing you comment back at you because i see a similar front from Muslims who when using the word Imperialist often forget they are in fact remnants of one of the Largest Empires the world has ever known.
Well then you have that thread.http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...at-mistakes-muslims-do-when-informing-53.html What I am saying was an actual observation, I face hard time to explain that the situation in many Muslim societies is different, how people think here is different than you...how my values are different than yours...
You have that thread, you can whine as much as you want what like others did. But you couldn't even let me express my observation with peace. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

kai

ragamuffin
With all due respect, everyone speaks from the position that his is right and based on this we debate and defend our positions. But to say Muslims, who are attacked day and night whether in media and the internet or actually attacked by bombs and rockets...have an "imperialistic mentality"...doesn't fit. Moreover, even in our arguments here, Muslims don't start threads saying oh why alcohol consumers are not punished in the US or in Britain, etc, as if the world already follow their rules....however, we find dozens of thread that ask with shock why Muslim countries don't follow the values of the OP who is 99.9% of the cases is a Westerner, that ask why this person is not punished in my country because he doesn't follow your laws? that ask why this people don't rebel against their government because you don't like their government? We should wipe Islam off the face of earth because it doesn't belong to the civilized world? You can't just change Westerner with Muslim.

Well then you have that thread.http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...at-mistakes-muslims-do-when-informing-53.html What I am saying was an actual observation, I face hard time to explain that the situation in many Muslim societies is different, how people think here is different than you...how my values are different than yours...
You have that thread, you can whine as much as you want what like others did. But you couldn't even let me express my observation with peace. ;)

Ok i will slink over to the other thread and whine a while:)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Its amazing how most times people do not acknowledge that what they do not like in the behaviour or words of other people is exactly what they are doing and saying themselves.

Reactions: kai

EiNsTeiN

Boo-h!
It's a common attitude for Muslims and non-Muslims, anyway.

It's very normal that a one who holds a certain belief would find it the "ultimate truth" that should not be argued. Very classical. This however doesn't bother me.
What bothers me is to consider other beliefs as "stupid", "weird", or "irrational".

Everyone is smart, and there gotta be a ground for their beliefs!

Sahar

In all honesty, kai, you are the last person to speak about imperialism, anyone can revise your hundreds of posts that support the war and terrorizing policy against Muslim countries, their men, women and children. So give me a break.

Sahar

It's a common attitude for Muslims and non-Muslims, anyway.
What common attitude exactly? If many Muslims are basically ashamed of their religion? If the overwhelming majority of debates about Islam are attacks by non Muslims and defense by Muslims?

It's very normal that a one who holds a certain belief would find it the "ultimate truth" that should not be argued. Very classical. This however doesn't bother me.
What absolute truth that shouldn't be argued, if Islam is being argued 24 hr in the day, attacked, insulted and Muslims do participate in these arguments?

Last edited:

kai

ragamuffin
In all honesty, kai, you are the last person to speak about imperialism, anyone can revise your hundreds of posts that support the war and terrorizing policy against Muslim countries, their men, women and children. So give me a break.

Thats unfair !Which war the war against Islam ? i dont even recognise its existance Iagree i am am openly Hostile to Groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah, Alqueda and the Taliban not Muslims and anyway i cant really respond in the Islam DIR can i. Why dont we have a one on one discussion/debate/row about your perceptions of my perceptions??? actually i would discuss it with any Muslims who want to.

If you want to know what i actual think i will be 100% truthful in regards my feelings on Islam and Muslims here:

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/general-debates/38152-anti-islamic-ad-hominem.html

Last edited:

Sahar

Thats unfair !Which war the war against Islam ? i dont even recognise its existance Iagree i am am openly Hostile to Groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah, Alqueda and the Taliban not Muslims and anyway i cant really respond in the Islam DIR can i. Why dont we have a one on one discussion/debate/row about your perceptions of my perceptions??? actually i would discuss it with any Muslims who want to.
I said "against Muslim countries, their men, women and children". Anyway, I am going to stop at here, as it's the DIR.

EiNsTeiN

Boo-h!
What common attitude exactly? If many Muslims are basically ashamed of their religion? If the overwhelming majority of debates about Islam are attacks by non Muslims and defense by Muslims?

What absolute truth that shouldn't be argued, if Islam is being argued 24 hr in the day, attacked, insulted and Muslims do participate in these arguments?

I was just stating a mere fact, in my opinion.

I won't also deny that Islam is being argued 24/7.