• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Makes Us Human?

Rough_ER

If life is only defined by its ability to reproduce, then this is a very sad world we live in.

Sorry, but what makes a species a species is that it can only reproduce with others of its kind. Because it makes you sad it doesn't change the facts.

DarkSun

:eltiT
Maybe what makes us human is the ability to find our own individual meaning in life, while other species are limited to killing or being killed.

Rough_ER

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was merely commenting on the facts. :p

Well you have to understand... I'm only speaking in the very technical sense. I'm a zoology student and spend my time fondling reptiles and inspecting the inner ear of whales and such. I know that life is more beautiful than any simple definition could ever express. I just wish people didn't feel so ashamed to be just another animal.

DarkSun

:eltiT
Well you have to understand... I'm only speaking in the very technical sense. I'm a zoology student and spend my time fondling reptiles and inspecting the inner ear of whales and such. I know that life is more beautiful than any simple definition could ever express. I just wish people didn't feel so ashamed to be just another animal.

I'm a Health Science student. =P

I'm studying Pharmacy at Uni. and I'm hoping to get into research. :D

So don't worry. After doing six months of Biology, I can see where you're coming from.

Rough_ER

Maybe what makes us human is the ability to find our own individual meaning in life, while other species are limited to killing or being killed.

That might be it! Although we can't be sure. Bonobos are pretty reflective little dudes, in fact sometimes they can be seen just looking up at the sky as if pondering some deep philosophical idea. In truth, they're probably thinking about sexual positions, but still. We can't be sure! =)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
The evolutionary difference between us and the animals is the ability to compare and contrast. Our ability is far greater than the animals. They rely on physical feedback to compare and contrast we have the ability to mentally compare and contrast. Mentally we can imagine something and feedback into our conscience as a new idea animals can not do this.
Sorry.... but this is untrue.

Rats can compare and contrast what they do know, what they think they know, and what they know they don't know... this is called metacognition.

Tool using birds are able to compare and contrast what tools are proper for what jobs and if needed what order multiple tools should be used.

Dolphins have demonstrated the ability to innovate on many levels. Including recently learning to adopt tool use for the first time.

wa:do

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I wouldn't put it past elephants... have you ever seen how they treat their dead and dying?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
They are particularly interested in skulls... but some have been known to carry body parts of close friends/relatives for days or more, and repeatedly mouthing them.
Mouthing is part of the Elephant greeting ritual... where elephants that know one another but have been separated for a while... trunks and tusks are placed in each others mouths.

Also elephants are known to try to prevent sick and elderly members from lying down, going so far as to surround them and prop them up or to prop them up against trees. When they do finally fall they try to pick them back up.
When they finally die, the herd protects the body until hunger and thirst drive them to move on.

News in Science - Elephants mourn their dead - 04/11/2005
Roar Africa Tails: Goodbye, old friend (Elephant mourning his friend)
Animal Planet :: News :: Elephants Mourn Their Dead
Elephant Grieving

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
They rely on physical feedback to compare and contrast we have the ability to mentally compare and contrast. Mentally we can imagine something and feedback into our conscience as a new idea animals can not do this.
In addition to Painted Wolf's more scholarly observations, how do you explain that my dog will suddenly leap down from the futon, trot downstairs, find the toy he wanted, and return with it, if he didn't have some sort of non-physical mental construct of it?

rojse

RF Addict
I love how this thread is going, although I didn't anticipate it. Most people's conceptions of human's uniqueness are matched by instances that occur in the animal kingdom.

So far, the only things that we have come up with that animals have not is breast implants.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In Gombe, Jane Goodall observed the chimpanzee Flint die, apparently of grief, soon after the death of his mother Flo.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In truth, they're probably thinking about sexual positions, but still. We can't be sure! =)

Whereas with humans, we're pretty sure that when they stare off into space for hours at a time, they are thinking about sexual positions.

Apion

Good chance human civilization has been motivated by the same instinct as ant colonies, or the technology of beaver dams. The dividing line between human beings and other animals is the manipulation of language, symbols, and abstract concepts. The reality of free will and self-consciousness is also debatable.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
can i just ask, is there anyone who does not support the claims that humans are animals?

or is it just me.