• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes humans so special?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We are the long shot, high risk, high reward, species that can potentially preserve life in our galaxy after a catastrophic event. (Or we can be the catastrophic event.)
Our brains are not designed for long-term planning and, so far, we haven't been preserving anything, even on our own planet.
Life in our galaxy doesn't need us. So far, on our own planet, we've proven ourselves only destructive of life.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes permanently. It would have to be at least the size of a Stanford Torus and well monitored, but it can be done (with existing technology).
How would we deal with the problem of cosmic radiation, low gravity and no functioning ecosystem?
Current astronauts come back with medical problems after only a few months.

Suave

Simulated character
How would we deal with the problem of cosmic radiation, low gravity and no functioning ecosystem?
Current astronauts come back with medical problems after only a few months.

Research shows resveratrol may counteract muscle atrophy in space travel

Martian Gravity | Harvard Medical School

Shielding from cosmic radiation for interplanetary missions: Active and passive methods

Shielding from cosmic radiation for interplanetary missions: Active and passive methods - ScienceDirect

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes permanently. It would have to be at least the size of a Stanford Torus and well monitored, but it can be done (with existing technology).
We can't even feed the people we have here. You overestimate our coöperativeness and determination. We're tribal apes not evolved for such massive, communal enterprises. We focus on our friends and family, local region, and personal wealth and status.

Suave

Simulated character
We can't even feed the people we have here. You overestimate our coöperativeness and determination. We're tribal apes not evolved for such massive, communal enterprises. We focus on our friends and family, local region, and personal wealth and status.

SecondarySimplisticHyracotherium-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Titan or bust!
Then it is bust. :)
No. No other species has generated an environmental collapse and mass extinction -- and in just a million years or so. We're a planetary infection.
Million! We have been around here for just 200,000 years. Quicker at destruction than you think.
I'm sure the earth will still be here. Just very different.
Some sky rocks are very big. Hope we do not encounter them.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
When God created humans, he created the most destructive and killing species that has ever existed.

We kill, destroy, pollute, drive species to extinction, destroy habitats, etc more than any other species that ever existed.

For example.... We have killed many more millions of humans than the covid virus but think nothing of it.

Why would an all knowing God create something he knew would be so deadly and destructive?

Humans are no more special than the 8+ million other species on the planet. Many just believe they are.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Taking Gods out of the equation, there is nothing that makes us special or seperates us from the animals imo. In fact we could probably learn more by studying their cultures more then ours. ;)

Why would one have to take gods out of the equation to make this true?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Humans are no more special than the 8+ billion other species on the planet.
Google Search Somewhere around 8.7 million. Closer to Hindu and Sikh belief at 8.4 million (Lakh Charasi). Indians will show it as 84,00,000. Eighty four Hundred thousand. A hundred thousand is a 'Lakh' in Indian counting.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Google Search Somewhere around 8.7 million. Closer to Hindu and Sikh belief at 8.4 million (Lakh Charasi). Indians will show it as 84,00,000. Eighty four Hundred thousand. A hundred thousand is a 'Lakh' in Indian counting.

You are correct. I actually googled how many species there were on the earth before I posted, but either misread the result or mistyped it when I posted above.

I corrected my error. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. :praying:

Suave

Simulated character

Based on a 450 foot long-75 foot wide-45 foot high wooden ship, namely Noah's Ark, scientists at the University of Leicester have calculated the Ark's maximum load capacity of all animals on board saved from extinction by God to be approximately 70,000 pairs of various animals. :D

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
When God created humans,

Do tell.

We have killed many more millions of humans than the covid virus but think nothing of it.

It's my understanding that throughout history religion has killed close to a billion people. No one cares, many deny it when mentioned.

Why would an all knowing God create something he knew would be so deadly and destructive?

Why indeed?
Maybe there is a more logical explanation for the evolution of humanity

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Based on a 450 foot long-75 foot wide-45 foot high wooden ship, namely Noah's Ark, scientists at the University of Leicester have calculated the Ark's maximum load capacity of all animals on board saved from extinction by God to be approximately 70,000 pairs of various animals. :D

Excluding a pair of blue whales. That much rainwater would have diluted sea water beyond tolerable levels for ocean creatures.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
When God created humans, he created the most destructive and killing species that has ever existed.

We kill, destroy, pollute, drive species to extinction, destroy habitats, etc more than any other species that ever existed.

For example.... We have killed many more millions of humans than the covid virus but think nothing of it.

Just realised that this isn’t a reply to what you’re asking, but one to the title of your OP, rather.

Humans are “special” in that they use an elaborate language of communication, by which they transfer detailed information over both space and time (geographically and across history). Other species also so this, but mainly only though their DNA.

From a more spiritual perspective however, one could just as well say that humans are “special” in that they have the most “lessons” left to learn of all beings and therefore are equipped with freedom of choice; so that they have an opportunity to learn spiritually from the choices they do make.

From a Christian view, it could be said that Man is “created in God’s image” - that is; 1. within the image of God and 2. (from a mystical perspective on Omni-sence) with God’s “need” to understand what is encountered - in that Man cannot experience without also interpreting what is before him.
Like God, Man is a chooser of variables and a decoder of results, who thereby is active in the creation of his version of “reality”.

Humbly
Hermit

firedragon

Veteran Member

Hmm.

P1. Okay so God is all knowing, and he knows they will be deadly and destructive. Let's take that as a premise.
P2. So no one knows why God did that. Right? Take that as the second premise.

Q. What's the conclusion?