• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes an activity "religious?"

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
A critical facet of the world's religions are practices or activities. When religiosity is assessed by research groups, certain activities are seen to be indicative of a person's level of religiousness. It is often unclear why a particular activity is chosen as indicative of religiousness. Prayer is frequently used as a metric to assess religiousness, but what makes that activity specifically religious? Church attendance is another common metric, but what makes that a religious activity as opposed to just a social activity? Aren't other social activities we perceive as "secular" functionally identical to attending church services? What is it that makes our practices and activities "religious" instead of "non-religious" or secular?

I've been scratching my head over this one lately. A religious news blog I follow recently did a follow-up story on PEW's demographic research into religion, and made the following comment about how they categorize religion in their metrics:

T.P. Ward said:
By separating “spiritual” from “religious” activities, Pew researchers may have created a distinction that only represents a difference in certain faith communities, albeit the majority ones in the United States today.
*source*

I notice this problem routinely as a religious minority, but the problem gets bigger than that when we ask why there is a separation of "spiritual" from "religious" and then "secular" activities. Many have used PEW's research data to allege a decline in religion in this country, but without addressing the problem of what it means to be religious, what it means for an activity to be religious, and so on. It seems that it is only our internal associations that have us label one thing as "religious" and another as "not religious." But is there more to it than that? Can we identify something that is quintessentially religious, across all of the world's religions? Is it necessary to?

We've got a bunch of bright thinkers on the forums, so I'd like to hear what you think about this issue!

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female
Connection of that activity with God. For example I may not be fond of eating pork.But if do it for religious reasons,that's a religous activity.

Perhaps that the category of 'religion' is derived from Christian history.

So what is classified as religious is biased towards what reflects Christian worship.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you.
Ahmadiyya-Muslim point of view:
If an individual or collection of individual get together to pray Allah (Salaat), or to hear address/speech which explains or instructs how to fulfill rights of Allah and rights of humanity....it is religious activity.

If believer practice something according to their teaching with intention to please Allah, it is religious act.....if same act is done with secular way, it is not religious.

Polls should ask, whether a person is a practicing-believer or not.

Then comes the question of correct or wrong practices according to religion.....e.g. killing innocents and calling it Jihad will not make it a Jihad etc.....as one can drive a car wrong way, one still drives but wrongly.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
A critical facet of the world's religions are practices or activities. When religiosity is assessed by research groups, certain activities are seen to be indicative of a person's level of religiousness. It is often unclear why a particular activity is chosen as indicative of religiousness. Prayer is frequently used as a metric to assess religiousness, but what makes that activity specifically religious? Church attendance is another common metric, but what makes that a religious activity as opposed to just a social activity? Aren't other social activities we perceive as "secular" functionally identical to attending church services? What is it that makes our practices and activities "religious" instead of "non-religious" or secular?

I've been scratching my head over this one lately. A religious news blog I follow recently did a follow-up story on PEW's demographic research into religion, and made the following comment about how they categorize religion in their metrics:

*source*

I notice this problem routinely as a religious minority, but the problem gets bigger than that when we ask why there is a separation of "spiritual" from "religious" and then "secular" activities. Many have used PEW's research data to allege a decline in religion in this country, but without addressing the problem of what it means to be religious, what it means for an activity to be religious, and so on. It seems that it is only our internal associations that have us label one thing as "religious" and another as "not religious." But is there more to it than that? Can we identify something that is quintessentially religious, across all of the world's religions? Is it necessary to?

We've got a bunch of bright thinkers on the forums, so I'd like to hear what you think about this issue!
I would say that any activity done because of or in the name of religious beliefs would be "religious" in nature. That doesn't mean that other interests like social cohesion can't be involved as well, though. Certainly not one or the other, imho.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Connection of that activity with God. For example I may not be fond of eating pork.But if do it for religious reasons,that's a religous activity.

What about religions that don't worship or recognize God? Is an activity still religious if it honors other god-concepts? What if a religion honors no divine beings at all, and is non-theistic? Do they lack "religious" activities because they are non-theistic religions?

What makes an activity for "religious reasons?" Is it a matter of personal perspective alone, or something else?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

*source*

I have has had trouble with that phrase "spiritual and not religious" for more than a couple of years. Religious in person means more organized religion and spiritual is, I guess, spontaneous lifestyle associated with ones belief.

However, one common theme with "religious" activity whether it be training for a game, going to college to taking up vocational duties etc is practice/discipline. What we do on a continuous basis to perfect ourselves, our craft, study, or career (etc). Its a mindset rather than specific things we do that makes one fall into the religious category. Taking care of family is one while working to live a peaceful retirement maybe another.

Most of the time religious is viewed as people being part of organized religion. They take the social, discipline,practice,ans motivational mindsets (this is secular too) out and it leaves people with being "spiritual".

Is it necessary to find a central theme/s to between secular and religious activity? Yes. I always thouht we religious people are not aliens. We are not separate in what we do. One persons prayer is another person affirmation. One persons meditation is another persons "silent time." One persons confesson is another persons therapy.

I just wish we See these connections. We see that we are interelated. I dont have to ask You personally, Quin. What is your religion anymore. What you do from kickball to prayer is all religious.

I cant remember who said it here on RF and cant quote. She said something like this/paraphrased. "Religion controls EVERY aspect of my life. Every. There is nothing in what I do that is not set by my religion."

So I dont believe in "spiritual and not religious". I mean, even people who are paralyzed and hospital bound are not irreligious. Its a mindset as well that all people have.

The best I can answer, really. I havent thought about it much anymore.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps that the category of 'religion' is derived from Christian history.

So what is classified as religious is biased towards what reflects Christian worship.

At least in the United States, this is certainly true. I've remarked on that occasionally elsewhere... how efforts to enforce "separation of church and state" actually end up favoring me because my expressions of religiosity don't look like that to most people. I've also heard it remarked that the very construct of "religion" is relatively modern, particularly the divorcing it from the overall cultural morass.

If we do not decide for ourselves what it means to be religious and spiritual, someone else will decide for us.

Could you expand upon what you mean by that? How does someone else decided what it means to be religious/spiritual? What does that look like? Could you give us an example?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I would say that any activity done because of or in the name of religious beliefs would be "religious" in nature. That doesn't mean that other interests like social cohesion can't be involved as well, though. Certainly not one or the other, imho.

If this is the case, that has some important implications for metrics that aim to assess religiosity. It suggests that to measure it appropriately, a generic survey with generically worded questions (which are inevitably biased towards certain religions ideas of what "religious" is) are not going to give us an accurate picture of what's going on. Perhaps such surveys could include a long list of activities and they could check of "this is a religious activity." But then, what if it's contextual? What if the activity is only religious to that person sometimes but not all of the time?

Another stream here that comes to mind... it sounds like you view religious behavior as an extension of religious beliefs. Is this necessarily the case? What about religions where experiences or activities inform beliefs, and not the other way around?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
@Carlita (and to anyone else who is interested in the topic),

There was a good book I read a while back about the whole "spiritual but not religious" phenomena. It points out that this division in meaning is very modern - within the last century. To anyone who is interested in learning more about the odd "spiritual but not religious" movement, I'd recommend giving it a read, though elements of the work may be becoming dated:

"Spiritual but Not Religious: Understanding Unchurched America" by R.C. Fuller.

allfoak

Alchemist
Could you expand upon what you mean by that? How does someone else decided what it means to be religious/spiritual? What does that look like? Could you give us an example?

Who decides this for themselves?
People "pick" a religion and then learn from someone else what it means to be religious in the context of the religion they chose.
Most people don't even think they can decide for themselves.
If you want an example just look at what most people are doing.

allfoak

Alchemist
How so? How do you define the term "religious"?

The average persons life is full of ritual.
So what does it mean that life is full of ritual.
What is the result of ritual?
How is common everyday ritual connected to the ritual within organized religion?