• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What kind of Christian am I?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
My beliefs

I believe that there is a God. He may not have created the world in six literal 24 hour-day periods, but he did create the process by which the world came into being. I do believe he (God) is holy.

I believe Jesus was God's sole incarnation. That he was a perfect human being that submitted to God the Father, and that he was God the Son. I believe he died the death we deserve on the cross, but he rose from the dead three days later.

I believe the Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity that lives inside of all who decide to believe in Jesus for salvation. I believe the Holy Spirit is able to teach Christians truth even without a Bible.

I believe the Bible was inspired by God and written by man. I don't think it's inerrant but I do believe it's infallible. Some things matter more than others.

I ultimately believe that Jesus is God, but people don't necessarily need an experience with Christianity in order to experience Christ.

I believe all who God wants to save will come to him through faith in Jesus. I believe that salvation is through faith in Jesus and repentance from sin. I do not believe that repentance is a list of things to avoid.

I believe every day Christians are to hold on to Jesus as their standard, seeking to emulate him. I believe that culture can sometimes be right about how to interpret Jesus' message.

I believe that ultimately salvation is completed at the point of death for the believer. I do not believe that death is defeat, instead it is victory.

I believe that the Church is the Bride of Christ, and like her Lord remains invisible for the time being. But I believe that the saints will be revealed at the last day. I do not believe a specific Church is the Bride of Christ, instead I believe that there are some in every denomination.

Ultimately, God's plan has always been for people to respond in faith to him and to obey him. I believe the Old Testament must be interpreted by the New.

I believe Jesus is coming back to recreate the world. I believe he will judge the hearts of men and bring those who are his into his kingdom. I believe the kingdom of heaven will never end.

I believe the kingom of heaven cannot be defeated.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
God I hope not. :) Jesus had a few things to say to Bible thumpers, like quit reading the Bible and experience me.

Nah, Jesus never said quirky stuff like "experience me". He said more like read the word and do it, not just read the words. Unless that's what you mean by experience. But Jesus never said "experience me"...it sounds weird.

QuestioningMind

My beliefs

I believe that there is a God. He may not have created the world in six literal 24 hour-day periods, but he did create the process by which the world came into being. I do believe he (God) is holy.

I believe Jesus was God's sole incarnation. That he was a perfect human being that submitted to God the Father, and that he was God the Son. I believe he died the death we deserve on the cross, but he rose from the dead three days later.

I believe the Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity that lives inside of all who decide to believe in Jesus for salvation. I believe the Holy Spirit is able to teach Christians truth even without a Bible.

I believe the Bible was inspired by God and written by man. I don't think it's inerrant but I do believe it's infallible. Some things matter more than others.

I ultimately believe that Jesus is God, but people don't necessarily need an experience with Christianity in order to experience Christ.

I believe all who God wants to save will come to him through faith in Jesus. I believe that salvation is through faith in Jesus and repentance from sin. I do not believe that repentance is a list of things to avoid.

I believe every day Christians are to hold on to Jesus as their standard, seeking to emulate him. I believe that culture can sometimes be right about how to interpret Jesus' message.

I believe that ultimately salvation is completed at the point of death for the believer. I do not believe that death is defeat, instead it is victory.

I believe that the Church is the Bride of Christ, and like her Lord remains invisible for the time being. But I believe that the saints will be revealed at the last day. I do not believe a specific Church is the Bride of Christ, instead I believe that there are some in every denomination.

Ultimately, God's plan has always been for people to respond in faith to him and to obey him. I believe the Old Testament must be interpreted by the New.

I believe Jesus is coming back to recreate the world. I believe he will judge the hearts of men and bring those who are his into his kingdom. I believe the kingdom of heaven will never end.

I believe the kingom of heaven cannot be defeated.

Just curious... why do you believe in the God of the Christian bible and not in Vishnu or Odin?
Why do you believe that the Christian bible was inspired by God and that the Koran and the Hindi Vedas were not?

I'm just wondering if your beliefs are based on anything other than what you were told to believe when growing up.

Misunderstood

In answer to your question,
I was thinking more along the lines of conservative to liberal.
I would agree for the most part with 'Saint Frankentstein', however, I would say mostly moderate with leanings to liberal, as I feel some of your beliefs would not be accepted by a conservative church.

Stalwart

There is only one Church, which is Christ's Body - not many.

As Ven. Fulton John Sheen aptly put it: "Christ cannot have many bodies... That would be a physical monstrosity!"

RedDragon94

Just curious... why do you believe in the God of the Christian bible and not in Vishnu or Odin?
Because Jesus is the only God who died specifically for human beings to save them. The fact that he resurrected tells me he is the only God who defeated death.
Nah, Jesus never said quirky stuff like "experience me". He said more like read the word and do it, not just read the words. Unless that's what you mean by experience. But Jesus never said "experience me"...it sounds weird.
He said a person can read the Bible all day long and still miss the point.
Why do you believe that the Christian bible was inspired by God and that the Koran and the Hindi Vedas were not?
Although the Quran states that it's God's word, God is not the one who revealed himself to the prophet Muhammad. An angel did.
I can't make sense of the Vedas. :)
I'm just wondering if your beliefs are based on anything other than what you were told to believe when growing up.
They are, although I was brought up much more conservatively.
There is only one Church, which is Christ's Body - not many.

As Ven. Fulton John Sheen aptly put it: "Christ cannot have many bodies... That would be a physical monstrosity!"
Right. There are many denominations, yet one Church. The kind of church one goes to has nothing to do with whether or not one is a true believer.

Stalwart

Right. There are many denominations, yet one Church. The kind of church one goes to has nothing to do with whether or not one is a true believer.

Garbage. If a 'church' is not in communion with Rome, then it does not hold the apostolic faith - the one faith of Jesus Christ. If it is not in communion with Rome, then it is schismatic at best, and almost certainly heretical; the doctrine it teaches is false - its understanding of the Gospel (which is not there to be interpreted or understood, but instead to be preached and authoritatively communicated) twisted, and perverted.

RedDragon94

Garbage. If a 'church' is not in communion with Rome, then it does not hold the apostolic faith - the one faith of Jesus Christ. If it is not in communion with Rome, then it is schismatic at best, and almost certainly heretical; the doctrine it teaches is false - its understanding of the Gospel (which is not there to be interpreted or understood, but instead to be preached and authoritatively communicated) twisted, and perverted.
Have you ever been to a protestant church?

Stalwart

What do you determine was heretical about their teachings?

It's not up to me; the determination is from the Church - from the Magisterium which derives (inherits) its authority to rule on matters of faith and morals from the apostles themselves. Where a congregation divorces from the Church in doctrine, then so does it divorce itself from Peter and the apostles, and thereby from the global community of Christians, and thus from the Body of Christ.

RedDragon94

It's not up to me; the determination is from the Church
So just turn your brain off and regurgitate whatever the Church tells you?
then so does it divorce itself from Peter and the apostles,
*Disclaimer: This is going to sound arrogant.* I'm just as much of a saint as Saint Peter or Saint Paul. Saint Peter actually wrote in his first epistle that the church itself is a priesthood and in Hebrews it says Jesus is high priest.

Stalwart

So just turn your brain off and regurgitate whatever the Church tells you?

*Disclaimer: This is going to sound arrogant.* I'm just as much of a saint as Saint Peter or Saint Paul. Saint Peter actually wrote in his first epistle that the church itself is a priesthood and in Hebrews it says Jesus is high priest.

Who am I to say that the successors of the apostles are wrong in their determination of doctrine, rooted on thousands of years of tradition?

Yes, that is arrogant. And incorrect. There is unequal glorification of the saints in heaven. Yes, the whole Church is a priesthood, in that we are all called to profess the faith of Jesus Christ. This does not exclude, or make redundant, the existence of a sacramental priesthood in the Church of Christ, however. The Church is an extension of the kingdom of heaven - it is not anarchic.

RedDragon94

Who am I to say that the successors of the apostles are wrong in their determination of doctrine, rooted on thousands of years of tradition?
A person with a Bible in their native language. Read it for yourself.
Yes, that is arrogant. And incorrect. There is unequal glorification of the saints in heaven. Yes, the whole Church is a priesthood, in that we are all called to profess the faith of Jesus Christ. This does not exclude, or make redundant, the existence of a sacramental priesthood in the Church of Christ, however. The Church is an extension of the kingdom of heaven - it is not anarchic.
Wrong, the Church is the Kingdom of Heaven. It is comprised of saints who have gone before into heaven and saints who are here on earth. We're just in two different places at the same time.