• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What kind of Christian am I?

Stalwart

A person with a Bible in their native language. Read it for yourself.

Wrong, the Church is the Kingdom of Heaven. It is comprised of saints who have gone before into heaven and saints who are here on earth. We're just in two different places at the same time.

And think myself to have a greater understanding than two millennia of Biblical scholars and theologians? I can't imagine myself doing that, to be honest. Especially when my Bible is just that - a translation. Not the original text(s).

Edit: What's more is that I have read much of the Bible for myself. All I find therein only affirms the truth of thr Catholic faith.

Correct, really, but what i mean is that the visible, worldly element of the Church is part of the same hierarchy; an absolute kingdom, with delegation. The use of a 'universal priesthood' argument against the Church is absurd.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
And think myself to have a greater understanding than two millennia of Biblical scholars and theologians?
Studying the Scripture is not the same as knowing the power of the Scripture. The Holy Spirit brings the Scripture to life in such a way that studying background information about the Bible cannot do.
Correct, really, but what i mean is that the visible, worldly element of the Church is part of the same hierarchy; an absolute kingdom, with delegation.
Where in the Scripture does it say that delegation comes from fallible human beings?

Stalwart

Studying the Scripture is not the same as knowing the power of the Scripture. The Holy Spirit brings the Scripture to life in such a way that studying background information about the Bible cannot do.

Where in the Scripture does it say that delegation comes from fallible human beings?

Scripture is certainly profitable to the cultivation of one's faith, but founding your religion on it - a Church document, the authority of which is derived from the authority of that same Catholic Church? We were gifted with both intellect and reason for a purpose.

I never said that it did. I can tell you that it makes clear that this is exactly what Christ did, though.

RedDragon94

I never said that it did. I can tell you that it makes clear that this is exactly what Christ did, though.
Hold up, you're saying that Jesus handed over his power of delegation to fallible human beings who then tore his church apart with doctrines like penance & infant baptism which, God love ya, are no where in Scripture.
Scripture is certainly profitable to the cultivation of one's faith, but founding your religion on it - a Church document, the authority of which is derived from the authority of that same Catholic Church? We were gifted with both intellect and reason for a purpose.
It's not merely a church document, it's a living document that is applicable to all people. Not just the church. It's God's document, not the Church's.

Stalwart

Hold up, you're saying that Jesus handed over his power of delegation to fallible human beings who then tore his church apart with doctrines like penance & infant baptism which, God love ya, are no where in Scripture.

It's not merely a church document, it's a living document that is applicable to all people. Not just the church. It's God's document, not the Church's.

His power of delegation? I'm saying He delegated His ruling and teaching authority to form His worldly Church.

I am at work and don't have access to a computer. Later today, I will demonstrate why both of these things are Biblically confirmed.

It is a Church document by virtue of being a document of God, composed by men under guidance of the Holy Spirit - God Himself. The men affected in this way and for this purpose were the Church's earliest leaders and saints. You are still treating scripture as the basis of the faith. It isn't - it is testament to the faith itself, which is Tradition, and which existed centuries before Scripture was composed into the Bible.

RedDragon94

His power of delegation? I'm saying He delegated His ruling and teaching authority to form His worldly Church.
Oh, I forgot what delegation means. :)

Still, you believe Jesus handed his authority over to Peter in Matthew 16?

I'll let you get back to work.

Stalwart

Oh, I forgot what delegation means. :)

Still, you believe Jesus handed his authority over to Peter in Matthew 16?

I'll let you get back to work.

He certainly gave Peter a share in His authority, as the visible shepherd. This brief lecture explains it in detail:

Stalwart

On penance for sins:
We are told that faith is dead without works. If one does not work in expressing the degree to which he detests his sin, but rather shrugs his shoulders, then can it really be said that he has love for Christ, and appreciation for Christ's willingness to absolve him of his sins? Penance is not necessary for the actual remission of sin; Christ can do this at will. Nor does penance make us deserving; remission of sin comes about purely from God's mercy and compassion. Instead, it is a sign of our willingness to cooperate with God's grace in affecting ourselves a change; to combat sin, and to express our contempt for sins previously committed.

On infant/child baptism:
In the Old Testament, if a man wanted to become a Jew, he had to believe in the God of Israel and be circumcised. In the New Testament, if one wants to become a Christian, one must believe in God and Jesus and be baptised. In the Old Testament, those born into Jewish households could be circumcised in anticipation of the Jewish faith in which they would be raised. Thus in the New Testament, those born in Christian households can be baptised in anticipation of the Christian faith in which they will be raised. The pattern is the same: If one is an adult, one must have faith before receiving the rite of membership; if one is a child too young to have faith, one may be given the rite of membership in the knowledge that one will be raised in the faith. This is the basis of Paul’s reference to baptism as "the circumcision of Christ"—that is, the Christian equivalent of circumcision.

Many Protestants state that it is necessary to repent in order to be baptised (a misinterpretation of Acts 2:38), and to make a conscious decision of faith before becoming baptised (which is the case where adults are concerned, but as I will demonstrate, is not the case for children and infants). If it is that children and infants cannot sincerely repent and/or believe in Christ, and can therefore not validly receive baptism, then children and infants cannot be saved until they reach adulthood, because baptism is necessary for salvation (John 3:5; 1 Peter 3:21), due to the fact that baptism makes us members of the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:13) -- that is to say that it makes us members of the Church. We also know of whole families (that is, 'houses' and 'households', for one certainly cannot baptise a building) being baptised in 1 Corinthians 1:16 and Acts 16:33, indicating that children are also to be brought into the Body of Christ through baptism. Child baptism is certainly Biblical.

In addition, we have the following statements from Fathers of the Early Church (among many others):

Saint Hippolytus, 215: "Baptize first the children, and if they can speak for themselves let them do so. Otherwise, let their parents or other relatives speak for them."

Saint Cyprian, 253: "As to what pertains to the case of infants: You [Fidus] said that they ought not to be baptized within the second or third day after their birth, that the old law of circumcision must be taken into consideration, and that you did not think that one should be baptized and sanctified within the eighth day after his birth. In our council it seemed to us far otherwise. No one agreed to the course which you thought should be taken. Rather, we all judge that the mercy and grace of God ought to be denied to no man born."

Saint John Crysostom, 388: "You see how many are the benefits of baptism, and some think its heavenly grace consists only in the remission of sins, but we have enumerated ten honors [it bestows]! For this reason we baptize even infants, though they are not defiled by [personal] sins, so that there may be given to them holiness, righteousness, adoption, inheritance, brotherhood with Christ, and that they may be his members."

InChrist

Free4ever
My beliefs

I believe that there is a God. He may not have created the world in six literal 24 hour-day periods, but he did create the process by which the world came into being. I do believe he (God) is holy.

I believe Jesus was God's sole incarnation. That he was a perfect human being that submitted to God the Father, and that he was God the Son. I believe he died the death we deserve on the cross, but he rose from the dead three days later.

I believe the Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity that lives inside of all who decide to believe in Jesus for salvation. I believe the Holy Spirit is able to teach Christians truth even without a Bible.

I believe the Bible was inspired by God and written by man. I don't think it's inerrant but I do believe it's infallible. Some things matter more than others.

I ultimately believe that Jesus is God, but people don't necessarily need an experience with Christianity in order to experience Christ.

I believe all who God wants to save will come to him through faith in Jesus. I believe that salvation is through faith in Jesus and repentance from sin. I do not believe that repentance is a list of things to avoid.

I believe every day Christians are to hold on to Jesus as their standard, seeking to emulate him. I believe that culture can sometimes be right about how to interpret Jesus' message.

I believe that ultimately salvation is completed at the point of death for the believer. I do not believe that death is defeat, instead it is victory.

I believe that the Church is the Bride of Christ, and like her Lord remains invisible for the time being. But I believe that the saints will be revealed at the last day. I do not believe a specific Church is the Bride of Christ, instead I believe that there are some in every denomination.

Ultimately, God's plan has always been for people to respond in faith to him and to obey him. I believe the Old Testament must be interpreted by the New.

I believe Jesus is coming back to recreate the world. I believe he will judge the hearts of men and bring those who are his into his kingdom. I believe the kingdom of heaven will never end.

I believe the kingom of heaven cannot be defeated.

Have you placed your faith and trust in Jesus Christ alone for forgiveness of your sins and received the gift of eternal life?

Milton Platt

My beliefs

I believe that there is a God. He may not have created the world in six literal 24 hour-day periods, but he did create the process by which the world came into being. I do believe he (God) is holy.

I believe Jesus was God's sole incarnation. That he was a perfect human being that submitted to God the Father, and that he was God the Son. I believe he died the death we deserve on the cross, but he rose from the dead three days later.

I believe the Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity that lives inside of all who decide to believe in Jesus for salvation. I believe the Holy Spirit is able to teach Christians truth even without a Bible.

I believe the Bible was inspired by God and written by man. I don't think it's inerrant but I do believe it's infallible. Some things matter more than others.

I ultimately believe that Jesus is God, but people don't necessarily need an experience with Christianity in order to experience Christ.

I believe all who God wants to save will come to him through faith in Jesus. I believe that salvation is through faith in Jesus and repentance from sin. I do not believe that repentance is a list of things to avoid.

I believe every day Christians are to hold on to Jesus as their standard, seeking to emulate him. I believe that culture can sometimes be right about how to interpret Jesus' message.

I believe that ultimately salvation is completed at the point of death for the believer. I do not believe that death is defeat, instead it is victory.

I believe that the Church is the Bride of Christ, and like her Lord remains invisible for the time being. But I believe that the saints will be revealed at the last day. I do not believe a specific Church is the Bride of Christ, instead I believe that there are some in every denomination.

Ultimately, God's plan has always been for people to respond in faith to him and to obey him. I believe the Old Testament must be interpreted by the New.

I believe Jesus is coming back to recreate the world. I believe he will judge the hearts of men and bring those who are his into his kingdom. I believe the kingdom of heaven will never end.

I believe the kingom of heaven cannot be defeated.

Now that we know what you believe, tell us what you know....

outlawState

Deism is dead
What kind of Christian am I?
I'd say you were on the right track, but still relatively immature, in knowledge of the bible and knowledge of its background, also not really understanding the meaning of the words that you use. Thus what you state as "My beliefs" is really "My positions" or "my doctrine." They may change over time. Faith is an altogether deeper concept in the person and work of Christ himself.

As to the church being the kingdom of heaven itself, it is an imprecise definition. The church is the believers exalted by the spirit to the heavenly realms.Ephesians 2:6; but as you say, it does not properly connote the realm of earthly priestcraft or the magisterium, which is the seat of the beast.

Roman Catholicism has few uniform doctrines on anything apart from the hyper-Trinity and itself as the sucessor of Peter, and thus the successor of Christ himself, even though its popes have been atheists on occasions. Work that one out.

Your trinitarian dogma shows that you have not yet let go of Roman Catholic dogma, for the term "God the Son" does not appear in scripture, albeit it is a primary tenet of Roman Catholicism.