• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is Your IQ?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Whatever its usage or 'meaning', IQ is certainly not the only measure of a man....er, person.
(That's how I console meself....compensating qualities must be there somewhere.)
:D
For many years I took various types of commercial-detective and security-op introduction courses from Monday-Wednesday, most weeks. On the Thursdays and Fridays I often interviewed job-applicants for the next week's course.

A significant number of recruits were undergrads and MA/MSc students who needed to work their way through Uni.
After completing an intensive personal background questionnaire for the vetting dept to be getting on with, the applicants would be given a basic aptitude test including simple maths, spelling, colour-vision etc etc sections. Often, one or two apps would throw their hands in the air on sight of these tests, exclaiming that they did not do 'simple', and walk out. Thus we got rid of arrogance. Then we would show a very short film of an incident appropriate to that type of job, such as a cash-in-transit team in an incident, or a shopper pushing shop-goods into her bag... etc etc, and ask them for their reactions to what they saw. In this way we could learn much more about a recruit's deeper mindset.

We did get some amazing reactions from people in general, but the University folks' ideas were beyond any doubt most likely to produce the craziest responses. The very best potential came from young, sometimes previously naughty, streetwise guys and gals, who, if placed in front of an IQ test would probably not do well, but whose speed of thought and decision was cutting-edge.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yes, for multiple reasons.....test taking training effect, material familiarity, exercising the reasoning muscle.

............ yes. My point being, that the tests which they took were not 'new situations' to them.
I have always believed that intelligence is all about meeting with a new situation, never encountered before, and being able to take it in and make good decisions about reactions, responses etc.

Folks who are familiar with IQ tests will do better in them..... a false reading.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
True comment, though I don't know that book.
The book is about that. :) Smart people who do dumb things because they have blind spots of knowledge, experience, insight, etc in some area. A person can be very skilled in astrophysics, but have no clue how to program a computer. Or a person can be a brain surgeon with 10 years of education (highest degrees), but can't understand that when he cheats on his wife, she will divorce him and his future, stable marriage that he hoped for is gone.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The book is about that. :) Smart people who do dumb things because they have blind spots of knowledge, experience, insight, etc in some area. A person can be very skilled in astrophysics, but have no clue how to program a computer. Or a person can be a brain surgeon with 10 years of education (highest degrees), but can't understand that when he cheats on his wife, she will divorce him and his future, stable marriage that he hoped for is gone.
Terrific point. Such a person, for example, might go through life never hearing a word like 'Forsooth'. Then when a normal person like myself said 'Forsooth' to them they might not understand, prompting that normal person to say "What?! You mean you've never heard of the word forsooth? Let me enlighten and show you the way to a right vocabulary." Imagine going through life and never having heard that word. Imagine having a doctorate in perplexicology and yet never having heard forsooth. One could write an entire book on the word.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Terrific point. Such a person, for example, might go through life never hearing a word like 'Forsooth'. Then when a normal person like myself said 'Forsooth' to them they might not understand, prompting that normal person to say "What?! You mean you've never heard of the word forsooth? Let me enlighten and show you the way to a right vocabulary." Imagine going through life and never having heard that word. Imagine having a doctorate in perplexicology and yet never having heard forsooth. One could write an entire book on the word.
Indeed, thou sayeth sooth!

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Interesting word. I have no clue what it is. I could guess a bunch, but I probably would be wrong. Now, I have to Giggle it... I mean, Google it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That is anyone. It's not unusual for highly intelligent/very smart people to be targeted because of their intelligence, and because of that you get things like the belief that you can be so intelligent it makes you crazy.
But the reality is everyone has strengths, everyone has weaknesses, and it's folly to look up to those with a high intelligence and expect that they should somehow be exempt from a basic human feature.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
That is anyone. It's not unusual for highly intelligent/very smart people to be targeted because of their intelligence, and because of that you get things like the belief that you can be so intelligent it makes you crazy.
But the reality is everyone has strengths, everyone has weaknesses, and it's folly to look up to those with a high intelligence and expect that they should somehow be exempt from a basic human feature.
Agree. There's this false impression that people with high IQ somehow always are right, even in their own eyes.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
How do I test it lol.
Lets test it!
areyousmarterthanaverage_4f915af0aceb6.jpg

As this photo demonstrates, genius is directly related to the size of your ears. What is your ear diameter?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't do IQ tests, because I don't want people trying to measure me up by it.
I figure it's a no win situation for me.....
- It takes money & time.
- I might be disappointed....so I'm worse off.
- I might be OK with it....so I'm no better off.
- I might be some kind of certified genius.....in which case I'd become even more insufferable.

Acala

145-149, tested three times. My best score was when I was 20, when it was mandatory in the UK to take a test, unbeknown to me (1995), second was a Mensa and the third was a UK Territorial Army IQ test. IQ tests prove little, other than some people are good at IQ tests!