• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is Your IQ?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Most science about intelligence suggest that intelligence tests are very limited in scope. IQ is passé.

Orange is the new IQ.

(Btw, I topped the IQ test in school. I have a 4.0 GPA. Member of 3 honor societies. And such and so on, etc, and all.

Another IQ story. Once I was playing blitz chess with a national player in Sweden. I won about 1/3rd of the time. I'm not a chess player, but he loved playing with me because I didn't play according to the traditional moves, so he had to think... for once. LOL!)
Yes iq is certainly questioned, and challenged, and the topic of both controversy and debate.

Yet, there is something there. Some see what others do not. Whether we are playing with Gardner or Stanford and Binet, we recognize that some are different.

While I do not agree with touting numbers as somehow defining of an individual, I certainly understand why LeBron might be less than happy playing in rec leagues. Are professional athletes elitist as well?

But I certainly would not say that cognitive assessment is out of style. Sure, you can cite thousands of papers that discuss limitations, but can you find any that do not accept that differences in cognitive abilities do in fact exist?

And is not this the underlying quality we are talking about when saying "IQ" or are we to restrict that concrete term in such a way as to ignore the abstract understanding that we have of what having a "high IQ" means?

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
Only 1 in 123,811 people score a 169 or higher, so you are incredibly rare.

Ah, no the tests were not official.
My IQ should be somewhere in the 135 area, I'll be testing soon to find out.
I've researched it a bit and it is under my judgement that I'll be in the 135 area.
So that isn't official either.

Wirey

Fartist
My oldest daughter wasn't measurable throughout school. She graduated from Grade 12 at age 14.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Easy!
48 is next.
(There's a glitch between 1 & 3.)

48 was a wrong answer, for that question in that 11+ examination.
When I've trawled to the end of these posts I'll fill in the blank, and then, when you've all stopped screaming at I'll explain how the answer was arrived at.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well thank God it wasn't a forum rule! :D
Come on you all........... anybody got the answer? Kids of 11 had to answer stuff like this to get into UK Grammar Schools. I can tell you that when I was shown this question at 17yrs of age I got it wrong. My answer was 24 (again), what is yours?

1/2
--

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Half crown or 30?
Congratulations!
Curious George, you have earned yourself a place in any Grammar School you choose, because you got the answer right!

The children were expected to recognise British Coinage values in pennies, and so....
1/2d (or a halfpenny pronounced haypenny)
1d
3d
6d
12d (or a shilling)
24d (or a florin)
30d (or a half crown)

rosends

Congratulations!
Curious George, you have earned yourself a place in any Grammar School you choose, because you got the answer right!

The children were expected to recognise British Coinage values in pennies, and so....
1d
3d
6d
12d (or a shilling)
24d (or a florin)
30d (or a half crown)
jeez...this ugly American feels no shame for not knowing that one.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
jeez...this ugly American feels no shame for not knowing that one.
Sure! Like I said in the beginning, only folks over 50years old and UK born were likely to get that. Even then I think that the question was very unfair.
Curious George must be 80 and born in London !!!! :D :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
48 was a wrong answer, for that question in that 11+ examination.
When I've trawled to the end of these posts I'll fill in the blank, and then, when you've all stopped screaming at I'll explain how the answer was arrived at.
No, I deduced the correct answer.....or rather, one of them.

(I'd considered looking into coinage because I know you have the half pence.
But that would'a required work. Plus, my answer was more interesting.)

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Congratulations!

1d
3d
6d
12d (or a shilling)
24d (or a florin)
30d (or a half crown)
That's when an IQ test is stupid. :)

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
But I certainly would not say that cognitive assessment is out of style. Sure, you can cite thousands of papers that discuss limitations, but can you find any that do not accept that differences in cognitive abilities do in fact exist?
Sure. To some degree.

And is not this the underlying quality we are talking about when saying "IQ" or are we to restrict that concrete term in such a way as to ignore the abstract understanding that we have of what having a "high IQ" means?
They probably have improved the questions in modern time, but the tests I took years ago weren't really that great. When the questions assumes knowledge, then the test is more directed to efficiency of information retrieval rather than synthesis or processing.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
With an IQ of 120 or greater, a person is pretty much smart enough to figure out anything they want.

I assume anything extra just goes to waste. :p

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've known people with "low" IQs do better than people with "high" IQs. An IQ test will never take the place of hard work. :)
Its better to start out with a high IQ, because then you can watch TV. Watching TV costs IQ points, and its really bad if your IQ points run out. Having lots of IQ points means you can watch more television than people with low IQ's, so a high IQ is a lot better.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Its better to start out with a high IQ, because then you can watch TV. Watching TV costs IQ points, and its really bad if your IQ points run out. Having lots of IQ points means you can watch more television than people with low IQ's, so a high IQ is a lot better.
The fact remains that some people with high IQ points don't even use them. And yes, there are times when the lower IQs have to work harder at certain things (as was already pointed out, the IQ only points out a certain kind of intelligence. Working harder is good at building character and people tend to appreciate more what they had to work harder to achieve. If a genius gets an A on a test, people say "no big deal, you always get As" if a lower IQ gets an A, people will be more impressed: That's not actually fair but that's the way it is.