• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is Your Favourite Argument For God.

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
It is a distinction which makes a great deal of difference IF and WHEN we consider the origination/maintenance of reality. It makes no difference in practical matters as it has no discernible impact on the content of the laws of physics or the probabilities of what happens.

Yes, it is absurd to posit the existence of "God," just as I told you before. It is also equally absurd to posit the lack of existence of "God," for the very same reasons. No logical discourse on "God" is possible, period. Pure fiction? It is entirely certain that "God" and pure fiction are utterly indistinguishable. You cannot distinguish between reality existing and reality not existing because there wouldn't be any actors to do the test if reality did not exist. So, it is literally not possible to do any test to see if "God" is necessary. Since you cannot do a test either, then that means taking the position that it is necessarily false must by definition be absurd.

As I pointed out before: It is metaphysically impossible to distinguish between the agency of an omnipotent being and reality as it is. The only possible definition of "God" that might leave "evidence" is if there existed a maximal being (said being possessed the maximum possible or was in someway distinguished metaphysically in all traits allowed to exist. Such a being I might consider labeling "God," simply for ease of discussion, but how would you go about looking for this being?

Looking for such a being is so far outside the scope of human endeavor as to be ludicrous. Exactly what consequences could possibly be attributable to an intellect that is "maximal?" How would you even recognize patterns that were conceivably so complex as to define the whole universe? Perhaps the patterns utilized by such a being are complex enough to define everything everywhere (its intellect would allow it to potentially anything it chose simply through cause and effect made correctly); How do you know that we aren't being manipulated in some remote way through the causal agency of something any entire "Multiverse" away from us? Moreover, Systems do not necessarily have the same properties that elements of that system possess; so we can't even generalize our own or observed properties in order to try and identify properties at the "Universal" level (or "Multiversal). Sufficiently advanced technology becomes indistinguishable from magic; sufficiently advanced agency becomes indistinguishable from the agency of the universe is an effective corollary to this. If you are not possessed of sufficient sensory and detection faculties, then you cannot differentiate between agency and either random information or the universe simply acting as it is supposed to do.

Intelligent Design is not completely unfalsifiable like "First Cause" is. You could conceivably invent time travel or time viewing and set about trying to evidence the position one way or the other. However, at this point attempting to investigate Intelligent Design is squarely outside the scope of human endeavor. We do not have any other examples of life that we can compare to our own, and the pattern matching faculties we are using are our own, so any patterns native to an extra-terrestrial intelligence/agency would by necessity be non-distinctive to us, since that is the way things have always been as near as we can tell.

Case in point: Some of the investigations into Mars and the origination of life posit the formation of life happening first on Mars (since it was further away it cooled down sufficiently to be able to support life before Earth did), and that life managed to be conveyed to Earth from Mars. Now the presumed vehicle in this case is an intra-stellar object of some kind (comet or meteor), but we don't actually possess any method of testing for alien spacecraft either (its just assumed to be far less likely as a matter of probability since in our experience extra-terrestrials are not intervening in our solar system to the best of our available evidence). Moreover, there isn't any way to distinguish between an alien purposefully directing a cometary collision to result in material being ejected towards earth from the result of random chance.

Since systems do not necessarily possess all the properties that elements of that system possess we cannot be certain that Reality must abide by the same laws we do or observe. Why are you so certain that tautology, contradiction, law of the excluded middle, etc apply to Reality? You aren't allowed to generalize the properties you see around you (even ones that are imperative), so what reason do you have to be certain of this? Reality might spontaneously generate itself; reality might be created; reality might be eternal and omnipresent; reality might be eternal and a completely self-contained system with hard and fast boundaries. I do not know how or why you think you can safely differentiate amongst those possibilities.

I've never been in a separate Reality from my current one to the best of my knowledge. I can't point to a separate Reality for basis of comparison. So how exactly is someone supposed to know what properties are directly attributable to Reality? Just because it makes senses to our intellect doesn't mean it is applicable or necessary. I might be 80% confidant that there isn't a "First Cause," but that is far and away from the level of confidence needed to discount a possibility.

MTF

Enai de a lukal

It is a distinction which makes a great deal of difference IF and WHEN we consider the origination/maintenance of reality.
Origination and maintenance are two different things; that latter would involve the sort of intervention which deism typically says that god does NOT do- the point being that god winds the clock up, as it were, and then leaves it be. Maintenance would constitute worldly agency which would entail worldly evidence.

Yes, it is absurd to posit the existence of "God," just as I told you before. It is also equally absurd to posit the lack of existence of "God," for the very same reasons.
This doesn't compute. The reasons why it is absurd to posit the existence of God don't seem to apply to the converse. The lack of evidence for the sorts of causal agency attributed to God (as in the Bible), the contradictions in the concept of God (transcendence and agency, atemporality or timeless and agency, perfection, etc.), and/or the lack of any intelligible truth-conditions are all reasons why the existence of God is "absurd" and yet, do not appear to apply to the contention that there is no such thing as God (this claim is consistent with known data, it has discernible truth-conditions, and it is not self-contradictory). Perhaps you have some other reasons in mind?

Pure fiction? It is entirely certain that "God" and pure fiction are utterly indistinguishable.
So is it absurd to "posit the non-existence" of, say, Hamlet?

As I pointed out before: It is metaphysically impossible to distinguish between the agency of an omnipotent being and reality as it is.
Why? There doesn't seem to be any reason to think this is so; in fact, the exact opposite is the case. An omnipotent being could, by definition, enact any state of affairs that is logically possible (not contradictory), which would include circumventing known physical laws. Clearly, we could distinguish instances in which physical laws have been broken from "reality as it is"- witnessing or having evidence of the sorts of miracles described by most religious traditions, not just Christianity.

Since systems do not necessarily possess all the properties that elements of that system possess we cannot be certain that Reality must abide by the same laws we do or observe. Why are you so certain that tautology, contradiction, law of the excluded middle, etc apply to Reality?
The "laws of logic" aren't like physical laws, as in, observed regularities; they are, more or less, the rules which underlie language use. The law of contradiction is not like the law of gravity, where we could go out and test to see if things happen to obey this rule- the point is that we could never describe a counter-instance to the law of contradiction, because in doing so we would be contradicting ourselves and annihilating this claim. It could never be correct to describe something as being both X and not-X; because asserting X consists in excluding not X. Any coherent description or account of the world needs to be consistent, meaning it is not self-contradictory.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Mines would have to be the classic fallacy in circular logic.

My own mother disavows the credibility of actual history because the Bible says it is true (which it actually does not).

This reasoning is usually confirmed by a supernatural claim which often will fall flat into itself by circular logic except it will have no basis and become a looped chin of circular logic.

Nothing is more astonishingly wreaking of fallacy and irrationality as this.

GreatOldOne

Vast and Vaguely Octopoid
My favorite line of thinking involving 'God' is a very frustrating one IMO.

1) 'God' is 'whatever' metaphysical principles sustain existence.
2) If 'God' is nothing then existence is not sustained.
3) I exist over time.
4) If I exist over time, then existence is sustained.
C) 'God' exists.

Last edited:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة

3) I exist over time.
C) 'God' exists.

How can this be frustrating? Animism and polytheistic pantheism came before spiritual monotheism.

I am a Panendeist by the way. The issue though is that you think that theists have reduced god to materialism when it is the other way around, god was natural existence then it got equated to religious foolery now it is back to materialism.

GreatOldOne

GOO said:

3) I exist over time.
C) 'God' exists.
How can this be frustrating? Animism and polytheistic pantheism came before spiritual monotheism.

I am a Panendeist by the way. The issue though is that you think that theists have reduced god to materialism when it is the other way around, god was natural existence then it got equated to religious foolery now it is back to materialism.

The frustrating aspect is that those words might be endorsed by both theists and atheists alike, leaving God as 'whatever' and people proceeding to make things up as they see fit and then feeling as though they rest on solid logical ground.

...when nobody does.

God as 'the great whatever' provides nothing more than a target for delusional religions and a disheartening affirmation that the evidential problem of evil is a real problem that we can only hope to forget before we are consumed by it.

Make your peace with the cosmic meatgrinder or worship it and call it fantastic. Or, completely ignore it.

This line of thought both destroys the reasonableness of religious practice and provides teeth to existential angst in the face of empathy. If you would be 'pan-anything' you take up the cause to make the world better with a huge dose of 'self-loathing' for an inadequate existence for which you are personally responsible to some degree according to your ability to pay attention or have any semblance of will.

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member

3) I exist over time.
C) 'God' exists.

The frustrating aspect is that those words might be endorsed by both theists and atheists alike, leaving God as 'whatever' and people proceeding to make things up as they see fit and then feeling as though they rest on solid logical ground.

...when nobody does.

God as 'the great whatever' provides nothing more than a target for delusional religions and a disheartening affirmation that the evidential problem of evil is a real problem that we can only hope to forget before we are consumed by it.

Make your peace with the cosmic meatgrinder or worship it and call it fantastic. Or, completely ignore it.

This line of thought both destroys the reasonableness of religious practice and provides teeth to existential angst in the face of empathy. If you would be 'pan-anything' you take up the cause to make the world better with a huge dose of 'self-loathing' for an inadequate existence for which you are personally responsible to some degree according to your ability to pay attention or have any semblance of will.
Welcome to RF, GOO!
Being kewl with vagueness and uncertainty does have an advantage--anything crystallized {a view of deity, for instance} can be much more easily leveraged than a gooey mass of uncertainty.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة

...when nobody does.

This is called ignosticism meaning that there is no set foundation for what a god is. There never has been.

I have been born into a Christian family converted to Islam and had a brushing with Hinduism and now I am a Deist. No 3 theologies have the same definition of god and some radically differ than the other.

This is as incorrect as it gets because secularism has created institutions in the past which have causes misery. Communism, wars, dictatorships and death have also been done int he name of secular ideas.
Any idea can create delusion, chaos, and evil.

As far as I am concerned there is no difference between a theists or a non-theist.
So acknowledging or ignoring a god makes no difference.

This line of thought both destroys the reasonableness of religious practice and provides teeth to existential angst in the face of empathy.
It does not. You just added int he option of ignoring it. You contradicted yourself here.
If you would be 'pan-anything' you take up the cause to make the world better with a huge dose of 'self-loathing' for an inadequate existence for which you are personally responsible to some degree according to your ability to pay attention or have any semblance of will.

This is as pitiful as it gets. You are exceedingly egotistical as you believe that this world is meant for us. You call yourself an skeptic(non-theist) yet make the assumption that anybody should be dissatisfied with a god because it is not perfect for our existence.

You are assuming that human beings are the center of the universe and yet you call yourself an a skeptic. We as human beings are just cosmic specks of dust in the universe and if we all died along with the obliteration of earth it would not affect the universe at all.

Any true pan"anything" would have the common intellect to know that our existence is not important in the universe to the extent that it must conform to our needs and petty whims.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
This is as incorrect as it gets because secularism has created institutions in the past which have causes misery. Communism, wars, dictatorships and death have also been done int he name of secular ideas.
Any idea can create delusion, chaos, and evil.

As far as I am concerned there is no difference between a theists or a non-theist.
So acknowledging or ignoring a god makes no difference.

It does not. You just added int he option of ignoring it. You contradicted yourself here.

This is as pitiful as it gets. You are exceedingly egotistical as you believe that this world is meant for us. You call yourself an skeptic(non-theist) yet make the assumption that anybody should be dissatisfied with a god because it is not perfect for our existence.

You are assuming that human beings are the center of the universe and yet you call yourself an a skeptic. We as human beings are just cosmic specks of dust in the universe and if we all died along with the obliteration of earth it would not affect the universe at all.

Any true pan"anything" would have the common intellect to know that our existence is not important in the universe to the extent that it must conform to our needs and petty whims.
Oh, the "stretch armstrong" view! :D

socto2.jpg

socto.jpg

GreatOldOne

This is called...
I have been born...
This is as incorrect as it gets because...
Sterling said:
As far as I am concerned there is...
Sterling said:
It does not. You just...
Sterling said:
This is as pitiful as it gets. You are exceedingly egotistical...

:run:

Sterling said:
...as you believe that this world is meant for us. You call yourself an skeptic(non-theist) yet make the assumption that anybody should be dissatisfied with a god because it is not perfect[/b] for our existence.

You are assuming that human beings are the center of the universe and yet you call yourself an a skeptic.

I just met you and you already know me worse than most people.

Sterling said:
We as human beings are just cosmic specks of dust in the universe and if we all died along with the obliteration of earth it would not affect the universe at all.

If?

Sterling said:

Who gets to claim what is important? Rocks?

GreatOldOne

Welcome to RF, GOO!
Being kewl with vagueness and uncertainty does have an advantage--anything crystallized {a view of deity, for instance} can be much more easily leveraged than a gooey mass of uncertainty.

Thanks, nice to meet you! I agree, it is hard to leverage a gooey mass like you said. That just will tend to just spread out and seep into all the places it can no matter what you do.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
One I've heard before:
There must be an absolutely true morality.
Without God there is no absolutely true morality.
Therefore there must be a God.

John Martin

Everyone seeks happiness. So happiness must be there. God is that on which my happiness depends. Every one has his or her God, the object that makes him or her happy. There are two types of happiness, transitory and permanent. The happiness that we get from outside objects is transitory and makes one dependent. The happiness that we find within is permanent and that is God.