• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your definition of a Savior?

idea

Question Everything
I came across this the other day, and really really like it:

"I release my partner from the obligation to complete me.
I release my parents from the feeling they failed with me.
I release my children from the need to bring me pride, so they can write their own paths to the rhythm of their heart, as it whispers in their ear.
I do not lack anything, I learn with all beings all the time.

I thank my grandparents and forefathers who have gathered so that I can breathe life today.
I release them from past failures and unfulfilled desires, aware that they have done their best to resolve their situations within the consciousness they had at that moment.

I honor you, I love you and I recognize you as innocent.

I am transparent before your eyes, so they know that I do not hide or owe anything other than being true to myself and to my very existence, that walking with the wisdom of the heart, I am aware that I fulfill my life project, free from invisible and visible family loyalties that might disturb my Peace and Happiness, which are my only responsibilities.

I renounce the role of savior as a being one who unites or fulfills the expectations of others.

Learning through, and only through, love, I bless my essence, my way of expressing, even though somebody may not understand me.

I understand myself, because I alone have lived and experienced my history; because I know myself, I know who I am, what I feel, what I do and why I do it.

I respect and approve myself.
I honor the Divinity in me and in you.
We are free.”

So, in tandem with the other thread about who God is, who is a savior? Is a savior someone who serves others? or... is savior is someone who helps others see their own inner light and strength, helps people learn to save themselves. ... would you call your savior your God, or do you see it as two different roles to fulfill?

ok - I want to see inspiring stuff in this thread. Who has been your savior in life? what were you saved from? what is your personal savior story?

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Someone who saves you. Or a group of folks.

That's it, really, imo.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I release my children from the need to bring me pride, so they can write their own paths to the rhythm of their heart, as it whispers in their ear.

I thank my grandparents and forefathers who have gathered so that I can breathe life today.
I release them from past failures and unfulfilled desires, aware that they have done their best to resolve their situations within the consciousness they had at that moment.

I am transparent before your eyes, so they know that I do not hide or owe anything other than being true to myself and to my very existence, that walking with the wisdom of the heart, I am aware that I fulfill my life project, free from invisible and visible family loyalties that might disturb my Peace and Happiness, which are my only responsibilities.

I renounce the role of savior as a being one who unites or fulfills the expectations of others.

Learning through, and only through, love, I bless my essence, my way of expressing, even though somebody may not understand me.

I understand myself, because I alone have lived and experienced my history; because I know myself, I know who I am, what I feel, what I do and why I do it.

We are free.”

So, in tandem with the other thread about who God is, who is a savior? Is a savior someone who serves others? or... is savior is someone who helps others see their own inner light and strength, helps people learn to save themselves. ... would you call your savior your God, or do you see it as two different roles to fulfill?

ok - I want to see inspiring stuff in this thread. Who has been your savior in life? what were you saved from? what is your personal savior story?

This is a beautiful prayer. Keep sake.

Instead of savior, I'd say healer. Someone who can heal and teaches you how to heal yourself. Not someone who saves you from what you go through and your faults, not even someone who interprets those faults "for you." I like the healing holistic approach to life that's not prevalent in our culture as a whole since each person(s) are different. So, usually within one's family or "clan" instead of culture. Some I think are fortunate to have that point of view.

I always felt uncomfortable with the savior concept.

I release my partner from the obligation to complete me.

In many respects, parents are perceived as saviors too. If we release our partners, parents, and the pride we have from our children, why do we need a savior? Wouldn't that be another limitation that keeps one from "saving" oneself?

idea

Question Everything
Someone who saves you. Or a group of folks.

That's it, really, imo.

Teach someone to fish, or give them a fish.

What does it mean to "save" someone? Do you think telling someone to catch their own damn fish is an act of salvation?

Last edited:

idea

Question Everything
This is a beautiful prayer. Keep sake.

Instead of savior, I'd say healer. Someone who can heal and teaches you how to heal yourself. Not someone who saves you from what you go through and your faults, not even someone who interprets those faults "for you." I like the healing holistic approach to life that's not prevalent in our culture as a whole since each person(s) are different. So, usually within one's family or "clan" instead of culture. Some I think are fortunate to have that point of view.

I always felt uncomfortable with the savior concept.

In many respects, parents are perceived as saviors too. If we release our partners, parents, and the pride we have from our children, why do we need a savior? Wouldn't that be another limitation that keeps one from "saving" oneself?

I love the idea of a "healer". Other words from יָשַׁע are deliver (childbirth), rescue, safety, welfare, victory,
From σῴζω also translated as "deliver"
(does not have to be Hebrew or Greek concept, but these are good words to look to)

I do like the word "deliver" too in context with childbirth. Going from a state of literally being trapped inside someone else, unable to talk, breathe, eat - dependent on them for everything, to becoming your own individual person. A painful process deliverance. That first breath comes with tears, a new reality outside of the womb.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think in broadest terms a savior preserves society from sliding backwards into barbarism. They preserve all the progress that has been made away from bad times, bad leadership, bad habits, bad traditions. In so doing they act analogously to a preservative in food.

There are of course other meanings, such as a personal savior who saves a person's life or their marriage, career, honor etc. There's the savior who keeps you from making a terrible decision, the savior who brings you back from death as through CPR, the savior who bails you out of debt or defends you in court, who takes you in when you are alone, who gives you a place to recover, who nurses you to health etc.

idea

Question Everything
I think in broadest terms a savior preserves society from sliding backwards into barbarism. They preserve all the progress that has been made away from bad times, bad leadership, bad habits, bad traditions. In so doing they act analogously to a preservative in food.

There are of course other meanings, such as a personal savior who saves a person's life or their marriage, career, honor etc. There's the savior who keeps you from making a terrible decision, the savior who brings you back from death as through CPR, the savior who bails you out of debt or defends you in court, who takes you in when you are alone, who gives you a place to recover, who nurses you to health etc.

Progress preservative, love it!!

"I release you from past failures ....
I honor you, I love you and I recognize you as innocent."

To preserve, the opposite of condemn.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

We are free.”

In the Tanakh (called the Old Testament by Christians) the word Savior is used to denote God, and is used to refer to very earthly things -- saving us from Egypt, saving David from those who wanted to kill him, etc.

idea

Question Everything
In the Tanakh (called the Old Testament by Christians) the word Savior is used to denote God, and is used to refer to very earthly things -- saving us from Egypt, saving David from those who wanted to kill him, etc.

Interesting. Does the Tanaka talk about salvation from non-tangible things too? Such as anger, ignorance, pride, laziness, or other character flaws?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Interesting. Does the Tanaka talk about salvation from non-tangible things too? Such as anger, ignorance, pride, laziness, or other character flaws?
I can't recall it ever being used in this sense. But I am not as well versed as others. Perhaps another Jew might be able to come up with an example.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
So, in tandem with the other thread about who God is, who is a savior? Is a savior someone who serves others?
Definitely. My mother was that way. Doing what was needed without complaining.
A saviour doesn't need to be flamboyant or to expect to constantly receive something back for every Good deed.
He or she does good out of the goodness of her heart.
Some people are encouragers, and that's how they save people . Some are doers, just doing the menial tasks for others. Some are prayers.

idea

Question Everything
Definitely. My mother was that way. Doing what was needed without complaining.
A saviour doesn't need to be flamboyant or to expect to constantly receive something back for every Good deed.
He or she does good out of the goodness of her heart.
Some people are encouragers, and that's how they save people . Some are doers, just doing the menial tasks for others. Some are prayers.

I agree with doers, and encouragers.

Prayers never helped me and always seemed like a cop-out... "I'll pray for you" is what people say when they are unwilling to be a doer.

Also, mourn with those who mourn - listen, and understand are good as well.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I agree with doers, and encouragers.

Prayers never helped me and always seemed like a cop-out... "I'll pray for you" is what people say when they are unwilling to be a doer.

Also, mourn with those who mourn - listen, and understand are good as well.
When you have people who faithfully pray for you everyday and then pass away, you can actually see the difference it makes in your life. To have a truly devout person praying for you is a privilege and a blessing.

idea

Question Everything
When you have people who faithfully pray for you everyday and then pass away, you can actually see the difference it makes in your life. To have a truly devout person praying for you is a privilege and a blessing.

Death should make no difference to a believer, if you feel their spirit in life you would also feel it in death.

Our minds are powerful in healing ourselves and making ourselves feel better. Whatever it takes to convince our mind to health, no matter the faith, works. In reality, I think it is your own mind and your own good thoughts you are feeling.- The most powerful savior is the one within.

"Jesus Christ knew he was God. So wake up and find out eventually who you really are. In our culture, of course, they’ll say you’re crazy and you’re blasphemous, and they’ll either put you in jail or in a nut house (which is pretty much the same thing). However if you wake up in India and tell your friends and relations, ‘My goodness, I’ve just discovered that I’m God,’ they’ll laugh and say, ‘Oh, congratulations, at last you found out.” - Alan Watts

idea

Question Everything
That only makes sense if you're a Catholic. I don't believe in dead people praying for me.

The placebo effect is real, and is evidence that our mind is powerful when it comes to healing itself. Our cuts and bruises heal themselves, we expect them to. If something makes us feel better, our feelings are powerful - but it is the power from within, not without, that does the healing.

Strange that someone would have more faith in another person's prayers than in their own ability to heal themselves. Do Christians teach they should have more faith in another person to help them, than faith in their own ability to help themselves?

What I am hearing:
It is socially acceptable for a Christian to say that other person prayed for me so I got better - ie - faith in some other person.

It is not socially acceptable for a Christian to believe they were able to heal themselves...

Seems a bad thing, to teach that only other people, only other spirits, can heal and save, rather than self-reliance. I suppose dependent people make good congregations, easy to control someone when they do not believe they can save themselves, when they believe they can only be helped by others.

Last edited:

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
The placebo effect is real, and is evidence that our mind is powerful when it comes to healing itself. Our cuts and bruises heal themselves, we expect them to. If something makes us feel better, our feelings are powerful - but it is the power from within, not without, that does the healing.

Strange that someone would have more faith in another person's prayers than in their own ability to heal themselves. Do Christians teach they should have more faith in another person to help them, than faith in their own ability to help themselves?

What I am hearing:
It is socially acceptable for a Christian to say that other person prayed for me so I got better - ie - faith in some other person.

It is not socially acceptable for a Christian to believe they were able to heal themselves...

Seems a bad thing, to teach that only other people, only other spirits, can heal and save, rather than self-reliance. I suppose dependent people make good congregations, easy to control someone when they do not believe they can save themselves, when they believe they can only be helped by others.
I certainly can not heal myself. When I get an infection I can not make it go away by thinking about it.
And we don't believe in other people's thoughts, we believe in God's response to thier requests.
Believing in yourself is a good way to be a disappointed. It's a nice motivational poster, but there's millions who believe in themselves right into failure and heart break and depression and suicide.
Believing in God is to accept that I can do nothing to save myself.

idea

Question Everything
I certainly can not heal myself. When I get an infection I can not make it go away by thinking about it.

What do you do when you get a papercut? I'm not sure you could last very long if your body does not heal itself?

And we don't believe in other people's thoughts, we believe in God's response to thier requests.

Why is their prayer any better than your own? If it is not them - if you believe it is God - then you should feel God's answer regardless of any person saying a prayer?

Believing in yourself is a good way to be a disappointed. It's a nice motivational poster, but there's millions who believe in themselves right into failure and heart break and depression and suicide.
Believing in God is to accept that I can do nothing to save myself.

Love others as you love yourself → I thought that was a commandment, that you were supposed to love yourself too. Do you love others more than you love yourself? This is very sad to me.

Some Christians believe there is no borrowed light, the parable of the girls with their lamps, that some went and got oil for themselves, while others were lazy...

Some Christians believe they have no inner light, and think very poorly of themselves, and this to me is sad.