• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your biggest reason for not becoming a Christian??

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar
My biggest reason for not becoming a Christian is because it's impossible to convince me that there is a personal god-of-love out there, especially Yahweh. The reason being is that I grew up single. I was single as a teenager and, with a single, very short-lived exception, I never had a very pretty, very lovely, and very mature girlfriend. This devastated me very deeply. I was single in my 20s, too. Being single in my teen years and 20s devastated me so thoroughly that it murdered my belief that any god out there loved me and cared for me.

I never believed that God owed me a girlfriend or that he scammed me or screwed me over by not giving me one. Everything given by God was a gift of grace, done out of perfect love for us. Since I never got this gift from God, while other Christian teenagers and 20-somethings did, I came to conclude that I was unloved, pure and simple. Other Christian teenagers had girlfriends and I couldnt figure out what they had done to deserve it more than I did, so I concluded that since gifts are given out of love, no gift means no love. Since I never got that gift, I concluded that I was unloved.

Personally, I can't imagine wanting to be a Christian. The conservative Protestants that I grew up reading and learning from, all believed that in heaven, we will be like angels-neither married nor given in marriage. If I went to heaven, I would not be married, I would not have a girlfriend, a wife, and I wouldn't be allowed to engage in romantic affection and there would be no sexual pleasure. In other words, it would be like being like a teenager all over again; I would be nothing more than a single, geeky, prom-reject.

No thanks. Just send me to hell!

Me Myself

Back to my username
No right or wrong answers on this one I just wondered how people felt....:D

Hell.

Is ridiculous on my book.

Also I have life experience that contradicts too many christian beliefs.

God just speaks to me very differently about compassion that what mainstream christianity beliefs about it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What is your biggest reason for not becoming a Christian??
If non-theistic Quakerism counts as Christian, then it's a matter of personal inclination.

For the theistic forms of Christianity, I've never seen any reason to believe that they're based in truth... and in most cases, plenty of reason to believe that they're not.

darkstar

I am not Christian for a few reasons.

1. The bible has been rewritten, retranslated and interpreted in several different ways. There was actually a group within the church that voted on which books to include in the bible and which to exclude.

2. Some people that profess to be Christian are overly judgmental and generally a hateful bunch that hide behind religion.
This one isn't so bad honestly. It can be said of many faiths. In fact my own religion has many racists using it as an excuse to hate.

3. The people that actually try to follow Jesus's example seem to be fewer and fewer. People are so caught up in their biblical interpretations that they lose sight of what is important. They cease to follow God, and begin following their own agenda. Most don't even realize it.

Those are some of the main reasons I can't see myself being Christian.

waitasec

Veteran Member
afraid that smells a little like bait for trolling for a fight?

i am only defending my honor...
:p

besides, he was the one baiting...i just took it

because it piggy backs on an old bronze age superstition...
there is nothing that makes it stand out as anything special because it is used as an
excuse for good and or bad behavior...not very impressive.

Sounds like your reasons are based on pure conjecture than logic.

Last edited:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Troll for a troll leaves the whole world......

ah.... that isn't how it goes it is?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
My reasons for leaving Catholicism as a very young child can pretty much be boiled down the following:

1) Church was agonizingly boring
2) I questioned authority at an early age
3) Science, science fiction, and fantasy were more interesting
4) It felt outdated and out-of-touch with my (modern) world and life

Nowadays I have some more theological/philosophical reasons for disinterest, but the last three definitely still apply.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I was once a Christian. After I started to become more interested in the deeper spiritual things, certain things that were said in church didnt quite sit well with me; they felt wrong.

So, I asked God to show me the truth. Now im not Christian ;)

elmarna

I worship the god Jesus worshiped.
I do not worship Jesus.
He was a prophet & a great teacher.
Only God do I worship.

Barcode

i am only defending my honor...
:p

besides, he was the one baiting...i just took it

Ah wait I'm trolling cause I'm stating an opinion?

Sorry I'm not up to date on internet lingo.

Now, if you reduce Christianity as a "bronze age" religion-despite its technological, philosophical, and scientific accomplishments then I cannot help but deduce your reasoning as illogical and nothing more than an inflammatory remark. I mean, it's ok to disbelieve in God and disbelieve in religion but I think there is a difference between true disbelief and disbelieving and making inflammatory remarks against the faith. Christianity at least historically by far is not a bronze age religion.

Last edited:

Barcode

1) true love is relative
2) wrong..mormons
3) wrong..europeans are people too
seems pretty inconclusive to me
:rolleyes:

1) Not applicable when it comes to God

2) Looking at the Byzantine age (and the fall of the Roman Empire) during the Constantine's rule, it is the most likely reason why Christianity was as expansive as it was. Europe was heavily Christianized and used this imperialistic tactic to conquer the masses. As we can see on many church walls and iconic figures they all resemble European features. Jesus by far does not look like an Aramaic speaking Jew (if there is such a concept) as is protrayed in many Catholic churches around the world. Essentially, whites are not comfortable praying to a possible dark skinned "god" nor are there any efforts to accurately protray Jesus or protray those who lived in that region, hence its a Eurocentric faith (See Slavery).

3) Europeans are people too, however Eurocentrism was the main reason why many countries were invaded. The so-called "heathen" Kurds and Arabs who ruled in the Holy Land were seen as infidels and not equal to Europeans. Richard "the Lionheart" who was actually french, not english, never had a positive opinion of the dark skinned Saracens.

Straw Dog

No right or wrong answers on this one I just wondered how people felt....:D

Thomas did not believe until he physically witnessed the resurrected Christ and touched the holes in his hands. If it's good enough criteria for Thomas then I also shall not believe until the undead Jesus stands before me and I can do the same. Seems fair enough.

UntemperedSchism

Newly Faithful
Thomas did not believe until he physically witnessed the resurrected Christ and touched the holes in his hands. If it's good enough criteria for Thomas then I also shall not believe until the undead Jesus stands before me and I can do the same. Seems fair enough.

To be fair though, Thomas has been remembered for 2000 years as Doubting Thomas, not Eventually Coming To His Senses After Witnessing Direct Evidence And So Should We All Thomas.

:D

Straw Dog

To be fair though, Thomas has been remembered for 2000 years as Doubting Thomas, not Eventually Coming To His Senses After Witnessing Direct Evidence And So Should We All Thomas.

:D

Well, I require direct experience of the evidence because extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
Ah wait I'm trolling cause I'm stating an opinion?

Sorry I'm not up to date on internet lingo.

now now now...
where did i call you a troll...?
i said you were baiting....

you originally stated your opinion without explaining why you thought my reasons were based on conjecture rather than logic...
see if you had at least given a reason along with your criticism, i might have taken you seriously and considered your reasons. you have to admit, the way you handed it over was really weak and self defeating.
if you wanted to be taken seriously...
in other words, you got what you deserved and had the same crap thown your way...is that what you wanted, no? then grow up.
ok...so lets see what you have to say...

Now, if you reduce Christianity as a "bronze age" religion-despite its technological, philosophical, and scientific accomplishments then I cannot help but deduce your reasoning as illogical and nothing more than an inflammatory remark.
but i didn't say that, i said it piggy backs on an old bronze age superstition...
the idea of a messiah isn't a christian idea, is it...:facepalm:

I mean, it's ok to disbelieve in God and disbelieve in religion but I think there is a difference between true disbelief and disbelieving and making inflammatory remarks against the faith. Christianity at least historically by far is not a bronze age religion.
oh i see so evil hasn't been done in the name of religion...:areyoucra
innocent children dying at the hands of their parent because of faith healing
or keeping birth control at bay in impoverished countries because it's a form of murder or how about slavery and women subjection to men...each perpetuated by the good book
what i said is supported by history, logic and therefore not inconclusive.