• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with those people who get tattoos?

sovietchild

What is wrong with people who find tattoos a big deal, but can't explain why?
I personally find them the equivalent of scribbling on a priceless and irreplaceable antique with indelible marker. But you have not explained the problem you have with tattoos.
Tom
I already did. Did I not? I believe they are afraid of something. I'm not sure of what though... could be death.

Just like you said it's like a lottery ticket.

Sonofason

What is wrong with those people who get tattoos? Are they afraid of something, and so in order to feel confident they tattoo them selves?
Yes, all people who get tattoos have an identity crisis. People who are confident in themselves do not get tattoos. If one of those persons suggests otherwise, he is a liar.

sovietchild

Yes, all people who get tattoos have an identity crisis. People who are confident in themselves do not get tattoos. If one of those persons suggests otherwise, he is a liar.

Sarcasm? I'm sorry to trouble you but I prefer if you don't use sarcasm.

Sonofason

Sarcasm? I'm sorry to trouble you but I prefer if you don't use sarcasm.
You telling me what you do not like does not trouble me at all. You getting tattoos doesn't trouble me at all either. Nevertheless, what I said was not intended to be sarcasm, but truth.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Nope.
@sovietchild
I've known too many people who got a tattoo or two because they were feeling rich and strong and confident. Doesn't mean I think that they were smart. But they could splurge on a bit of stupidity. Because they were very confident in themselves and their identify.
Tom

Sonofason

Nope.
@sovietchild
I've known too many people who got a tattoo or two because they were feeling rich and strong and confident. Doesn't mean I think that they were smart. But they could splurge on a bit of stupidity. Because they were very confident in themselves and their identify.
Tom
Nope, most people who appear big on the outside are puny on the inside.

Sonofason

That is interesting. Most of the truly religious people that I know are also the most humble people that I know. I am one of the exceptions.

Sonofason

This reminds me of a quote I wrote down the other day. " A great man shows his greatness by the way he treats little men."
I think that could be pretty much a fair statement, depending of course on how that "great man" treats little men. Who said that?

Sonofason

I was more commenting on the question than answering if I'm honest.

To actually answer: it's a free choice, it doesn't hurt anybody, and people do it for myriad reasons. Maybe there are even some who do it to help boost their confidence, and so what? But many will have all sorts of other reasons.

This guy hasn't done it out of lack of confidence, for example, but because it's the long handed-down tradition of his culture and connects him to his tribe.

Ta-Moko-600x900.jpg

I know people who talk about getting a tattoo representative of each country they visit, or who get tattoos to commemorate their loved ones when they die. A guy I knew had a tattoo of an angel on each arm, which represented two of his friends that died.
Yes, I believe it has more to do with filling a void in one's self identity, which actually seems to imply that there is a confidence issue. How can one feel confident in himself if he feels disassociated from his tribe or clan, or culture?

sovietchild

I think that could be pretty much a fair statement, depending of course on how that "great man" treats little men. Who said that?

I didn't right that down :( I think it was one of the USA presidents, I'm nore sure. It was from a famous and best selling book at that time called "How to find friends and influence people." by Dale Carnegie

Sonofason

Broad-brushing much?
I'd suggest not holidaying in New Zealand and suggesting to Maori they shouldn't get tribal tattoos. It wouldn't end well for you.
Nevertheless, the broad brush I used also applies to all of them. If a person gets a tattoo because of some tribal ritual or whatever it is, then that person has an identity crisis not having that blemish on their skin. So they put the blemish on their skin to feel as though they belong, to acquire some kind of false confidence that they do belong, to show to the world or their community that they aren't as completely worthless as they felt they were without the blemish.

Sonofason

I didn't right that down :( I think it was one of the USA presidents, I'm nore sure. It was from a famous and best selling book at that time called "How to find friends and influence people." by Dale Carnegie
okay, no problem.

So the problem I have with the quote is that that which is great is completely subjective. Some people might think it great to squash little men. And I personally would not consider such a great man a very great man at all.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Nevertheless, the broad brush I used also applies to all of them. If a person gets a tattoo because of some tribal ritual or whatever it is, then that person has an identity crisis not having that blemish on their skin. So they put the blemish on their skin to feel as though they belong, to acquire some kind of false confidence that they do belong, that show to the world or their community that they aren't as completely worthless as they felt they were without the blemish.

Interesting take, but I don't think it really adds up.

It IS a mark of belonging, and I'm sure that does add something to the feeling of worth such people feel. But are you really suggesting that ALL Maori (as an example) are traditionally flawed people who lack confidence? That all of the Yoruba people are traditionally flawed people who lack confidence? Or the Kalinga? Or...well...almost every tribal culture in history? That the tattoos and piercings are only about adornment, and don't also serve practical purposes? Does circumcision fall into the same bucket?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What is wrong with those people who get tattoos?
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
Are they afraid of something, and so in order to feel confident they tattoo them selves?
Nope. My first one was to commemorate a pretty major and important time in my life. My next one will be so I can say that I drew at least one of my own tattoos (and I've already drawn it, just have to save up for it), which is exhilarating to me because I am an artist.

Sonofason

Interesting take, but I don't think it really adds up.

It IS a mark of belonging, and I'm sure that does add something to the feeling of worth such people feel. But are you really suggesting that ALL Maori (as an example) are traditionally flawed people who lack confidence? That all of the Yoruba people are traditionally flawed people who lack confidence? Or the Kalinga? Or...well...almost every tribal culture in history? That the tattoos and piercings are only about adornment, and don't also serve practical purposes? Does circumcision fall into the same bucket?
It is up to you and for you to decide whether or not a lack of self confidence is a flaw. I see all people as being greatly flawed in one way or another. Some people have too much confidence...others have too little confidence. If you need a tattoo to feel like you belong, get a tattoo. If you feel like you don't need one, don't get one. I really don't care. I'm just pointing out what I believe is a fact.

I'm not sure what you mean here when you said, "That the tattoos and piercings are only about adornment, and don't also serve practical purposes?". It isn't really a complete sentence. But let me try to answer as I think I see the question. If you get a tattoo because your life depends on it, like if your tribal leaders were going to murder you if you don't get one, which I suppose would be a practical purpose for getting a tattoo does seem to fall outside the parameters I was speaking of. Being forced to get a tattoo is not getting a tattoo by your own free will. In the same sense, having a tattoo placed into your skin while you were strapped to a table against your will might not apply to my broad brush as well. But, I was referring to those who of their own free will choose to blemish their skin.

I would like to hear why you thought of circumcision as falling into the same bucket. I do not believe it does. But before I answer your question, I'd like to hear why you brought it up?