• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Time?

Time is simply the measurement of Motion X a Constant

Through our perception we all see time moving at the rate that we think we are experiencing it.

It could seem one length to a human and another to a lion. It can appear different to different humans. It can even seem to change to the same one perceptual experience.

We all know time seems to fly and other times appear to drag behind.

So, there is a common shared rate of motion in which connects to all of us experiencing. This speed of motion that we all think we are living at is then multiplied against a constant and that's called time.

The constant in this case is the second hand. It moves in a complete circle, at a constant rate, an infinite number of times. We see this constant rate that is moving slower than the rate in which we are experiencing therefore we use it as a measurement tool to attempt to record the length of our experience.

We compare and contrast against it. We record the amount of times it completes in a circle to create hours, days, weeks, and etc.. We then relate our experience to this limited object which can not exist in the infinite therefore we become slaves to the rate of which we experience. Tricking ourselves into thinking we are running out of this thing called time.

For every moment that could ever exist is existing entirely right now. There is only one moment in time perceived at an infinite number of rates.

We are all the same one thing observing different parts of that same one thing.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Our conventional notions and understandings of time are not constant. It is relative, and it passes by faster with more gravity. To copy myself (as I was just discussing time):
Another issue of reality are the stars themselves. We can see them right now (well, about half of the world "right now" anyways), they are there, for us to see, yet many of them no longer exist in a state the we would normally associate with existence. They simply are not there any more. But yet we can still see them. Of course it has to do with the distance of the stars and the speed that light travels, but yet we are left with something that is not "real," that no longer exist, yet to our perception it is very real and does exist. We can't even prove a linear passage of time with the way past, present and future can are meshed together.
I first came to this realization as I was puffing on my e-cigarette. I held the pen-shaped vaporizer in front of my face, pushed the on button which turned on a blue light, and I waved the pen and observed a trail of light. Obviously the light is not in two places at once, but yet I was witnessing a meshing of past-and-present. Then I began to think about the sun and the stars and Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, and it occurred to me that time isn't an orderly linear sequence of events. I don't know exactly what it is, but I do know that much like light and sound, there is much to it that we don't see or know about.

Our conventional notions and understandings of time are not constant. It is relative, and it passes by faster with more gravity. To copy myself (as I was just discussing time):
Another issue of reality are the stars themselves. We can see them right now (well, about half of the world "right now" anyways), they are there, for us to see, yet many of them no longer exist in a state the we would normally associate with existence. They simply are not there any more. But yet we can still see them. Of course it has to do with the distance of the stars and the speed that light travels, but yet we are left with something that is not "real," that no longer exist, yet to our perception it is very real and does exist. We can't even prove a linear passage of time with the way past, present and future can are meshed together.
I first came to this realization as I was puffing on my e-cigarette. I held the pen-shaped vaporizer in front of my face, pushed the on button which turned on a blue light, and I waved the pen and observed a trail of light. Obviously the light is not in two places at once, but yet I was witnessing a meshing of past-and-present. Then I began to think about the sun and the stars and Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, and it occurred to me that time isn't an orderly linear sequence of events. I don't know exactly what it is, but I do know that much like light and sound, there is much to it that we don't see or know about.

Time doesn't exist at all.. it's all perceptual illusion.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

Through our perception we all see time moving at the rate that we think we are experiencing it.

It could seem one length to a human and another to a lion. It can appear different to different humans. It can even seem to change to the same one perceptual experience.

So, there is a common shared rate of motion in which connects to all of us experiencing. This speed of motion that we all think we are living at is then multiplied against a constant and that's called time.

The constant in this case is the second hand. It moves in a complete circle, at a constant rate, an infinite number of times. We see this constant rate that is moving slower than the rate in which we are experiencing therefore we use it as a measurement tool to attempt to record the length of our experience.

We compare and contrast against it. We record the amount of times it completes in a circle to create hours, days, weeks, and etc.. We then relate our experience to this limited object which can not exist in the infinite therefore we become slaves to the rate of which we experience. Tricking ourselves into thinking we are running out of this thing called time.

For every moment that could ever exist is existing entirely right now. There is only one moment in time perceived at an infinite number of rates.

If that's so, doesn't cause and effect become redundant?

While there is one entire history, I think time is more of a personified view of events rather than an objective one. It isn't that the past went away, it's that the past transformed. And it isn't that the future is going to replace the present, it's the present that turns into the future.

But I see what you're saying and it is rather fascinating. I think you're onto something.

If that's so, doesn't cause and effect become redundant?

While there is one entire history, I think time is more of a personified view of events rather than an objective one. It isn't that the past went away, it's that the past transformed. And it isn't that the future is going to replace the present, it's the present that turns into the future.

But I see what you're saying and it is rather fascinating. I think you're onto something.

I was mainly touching on rates in which time is perceived.

Yes, we all have an individual experience and within that time is seen differently on a case by case basis with us.

However, all those different stories are just episodes of the same series. So, what I meant is that there is a common shared synchronicity of time perception with different individual experiences.

Totally different, yet totally the same. Two sides of the same coin.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Time doesn't exist at all.. it's all perceptual illusion.
It most definitely does exist. Such as, I know that it takes about eight minutes for the light of the sun to reach Earth. It doesn't matter what you call a minute, or how you measure it, there is a temporal gap when it comes to the light reach point A to point B. However, when we see the sun, we think we are seeing present, but we are seeing the past. It is because of this that we can know that the present is not the only way to perceive what we call time, that is because we are observing the past but witnessing it in our present. It is there, but the full depth of it seems to be beyond our comprehension.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason

You made a logical leap to that last sentence there.

How in the world does the rest of that post support that last sentence.

It most definitely does exist. Such as, I know that it takes about eight minutes for the light of the sun to reach Earth. It doesn't matter what you call a minute, or how you measure it, there is a temporal gap when it comes to the light reach point A to point B. However, when we see the sun, we think we are seeing present, but we are seeing the past. It is because of this that we can know that the present is not the only way to perceive what we call time, that is because we are observing the past but witnessing it in our present. It is there, but the full depth of it seems to be beyond our comprehension.

The physical world doesn't even exist therefore how could time?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

In my opinion time is a measure of the rate of change. Change being the only constant. Change only goes forward. Everything is unique and only exists in the moment as in the next moment it has changed.