• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the universe? Which one seems more likely to you?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Hi all,
These days there are numerous Major theories what our universe is...
In a nut shell:

1. Creationism - God, a super natural deity, created, designed and controls our universe.
2. Aliens - Our universe was created as an experiment / solution / mistake by an advanced alien specie
3. Simulation - Our universe is actually a computer simulation and we are all just an AI on some super advanced computer
4. Naturalism - All there is is Nature, Nothing more, Nothing less.

Regards.

Nothing can work in a specific way without being well controlled.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
The best scientific minds once thought the sound barrier could never be broken.
General Chuck Yeager proven them wrong.
That..isn't true at all. That's a myth. There were certainly a number of people who thought the sound barrier a "literal" barrier. But anyone involved in rocketry at any point knew that it was relatively mundane to break the sound barrier. What we actually worried about was how the human body would react to having done that. Yeager isn't even the first pilot to break the sound barrier. He's the first one to do it under observed conditions.

Another example, and do a little more work than "none at all", please.

Ana.J

Hi all,
In a nut shell:

1. Creationism - God, a super natural deity, created, designed and controls our universe.
2. Aliens - Our universe was created as an experiment / solution / mistake by an advanced alien specie
3. Simulation - Our universe is actually a computer simulation and we are all just an AI on some super advanced computer

Regards.
I would vote for Creationism. The universe is too perfect and complicated to be just a number of coincidents.

rusra02

Premium Member
Hi all,
In a nut shell:

Regards.
Seems to me options 1-3 all require intelligent design, while 4 attributes all to "Nature" with a capital "N".
IMO, there is no evidence for options 2,3, or 4. I believe there is abundant evidence for a supremely intelligent Creator or Designer. No invention comes into being without an inventor. The brillIant genius manifest in what has been made to exist argues eloquently for a grand Creator. I have no doubt 1 is the correct answer.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Naturalism
Dyeing leaves, sprouting seeds
and galaxies colliding,
it's all natural.
Sensing it,
is the job at hand.

Point to your own infinity.
~
'mud

Segev Moran

I would vote for Creationism. The universe is too perfect and complicated to be just a number of coincidents.
I Understand the need to believe the universe is perfect..when the reality is its far from it (especially concerning life)...
Yes.. there is beauty and wonder in the universe.. but there are also things that in a designed and created world shouldn't have been.

It is not really fine tuned..
If one bothers and learns how the universe actually work.. you are to quickly understand that things are not as described by scriptures...
If anything.. the complexity and chaos of the universe shows that there is no way other than it is without any regards to humans nor earth.

Ana.J

I Understand the need to believe the universe is perfect..when the reality is its far from it (especially concerning life)...
Yes.. there is beauty and wonder in the universe.. but there are also things that in a designed and created world shouldn't have been.

It is not really fine tuned..
If one bothers and learns how the universe actually work.. you are to quickly understand that things are not as described by scriptures...
If anything.. the complexity and chaos of the universe shows that there is no way other than it is without any regards to humans nor earth.

To be honest, I am far from taken dogmatic religious teachings seriously. However, what if the visible chaos of the universe is just an illusion? If you look at the solar system from within, it might look like planets are just drifting in dark space with no order....but if you look from far far above, you will see that everything is organized...

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
To be honest, I am far from taken dogmatic religious teachings seriously. However, what if the visible chaos of the universe is just an illusion? If you look at the solar system from within, it might look like planets are just drifting in dark space with no order....but if you look from far far above, you will see that everything is organized...

That is mostly due to gravity.

Segev Moran

That might also be explained as Humans are "suckers" for patterns :)
The human brain works with patterns..
Therefore, even in the most chaotic setting, we will find patterns and things that would make sense to us...
Take for Example all those who claim there is a statue of human face on the moon...
even though the rocks are in no special order.. our brain imminently recognizes the human face pattern and we believe this is what we see..
Now.. I'm not saying there is definitely no human face statue on the moon.. but it yet to be verified there for this claim cannot be stated as truth...
Same goes for God.. I'm not saying there is no chance there is a God.. just saying that everything points out to the fact that God is not really needed...

You can do a nice test to check the patterns theory..
Just start looking at stains and dirt laying down somewhere.. you'll see that in no time you manage to find familiar shapes and automatically your brain translates it into a meaningful shape...
That's why we love finding shapes in the clouds :)
But On one thing we agree.. the universe is a marvel and our simple human brains are yet to be able to grasp the complexity and wonder of it....
This doesn't mean someone made it so :)

Segev Moran

If there's no laws to govern and control the universe then it'll tern to chaos.
Chaos don't create laws,

How do you know?
What is Chaos?
And what are Laws???

A Law is an interpretation to something we use in order to describe it's behavior...
Take gravity for example...
Its not a LAW....
It how things work...
We interpret it as a Law of nature to describe that each body attracts other bodies to himself...
The universe is full of chaos...
The laws we "discovered" are actually laws we invented to explain things, not the other way around...

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
How do you know?
What is Chaos?
And what are Laws???

A Law is an interpretation to something we use in order to describe it's behavior...
Take gravity for example...
Its not a LAW....
It how things work...
We interpret it as a Law of nature to describe that each body attracts other bodies to himself...
The universe is full of chaos...
The laws we "discovered" are actually laws we invented to explain things, not the other way around...

Not correct, the laws govern the universe, we only discover and study these laws.
Speed of the planets, their rotations around themselves , orbiting the sun, gravity of each planet ...etc
It's science and not chaos, science means laws, measurements and numbers based on facts and observation,
chaos means nonsense.

Segev Moran

Not correct, the laws govern the universe, we only discover and study these laws.
Speed of the planets, their rotations around themselves , orbiting the sun, gravity of each planet ...etc
It's science and not chaos, science means laws, measurements and numbers based on facts and observation,
chaos means nonsense.
1st.. love your religion :) Human is probably the best religion there is ;)

I Wasn't suggesting that the universe is not following a set of rules.. I'm just saying that Laws are an interpretation...

There are different set of "Laws" based on the environment your are examining...For example Quantum, they have a different set of laws...
Or no laws to be exact..
Is Q.P. Super natural? nope.. its just working in a different way. we are yet to set the laws that can describe the way it works (Only some of them :) )

Chaos is not nonsense... I'm not talking about the Biblical Chaos..

I think the universe is a combination of Order and Chaos...
You can predict some things.. yet some are unpredictable...
More than that.. a small change can alter all the laws we know...

Science means measurements, assumptions, experiments.. true...
The out come is a "Law"... but this Law is dynamic and adapts based on what we discover....

Its just like the claim that the universe is fine tuned... No it is not...
It is just the way that happened to lead it to its current state...

as far as we are concerned our universe might be the billionth attempt or version or whatever you want to term it.
and what if there are many more universes?

Are there laws of life? as science today assumes, life requires specific ingredients.. yet there just might be life that work in a whole different way...