• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the universe? Which one seems more likely to you?

Segev Moran

Hi all,
These days there are numerous Major theories what our universe is...
In a nut shell:

1. Creationism - God, a super natural deity, created, designed and controls our universe.
2. Aliens - Our universe was created as an experiment / solution / mistake by an advanced alien specie
3. Simulation - Our universe is actually a computer simulation and we are all just an AI on some super advanced computer
4. Naturalism - All there is is Nature, Nothing more, Nothing less.

Regards.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
One can not "prove" any of the four options but only option four does not rely on a logical fallacy. One through three are all just variations of an argument from ignorance.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi all,
These days there are numerous Major theories what our universe is...
In a nut shell:

1. Creationism - God, a super natural deity, created, designed and controls our universe.
2. Aliens - Our universe was created as an experiment / solution / mistake by an advanced alien specie
3. Simulation - Our universe is actually a computer simulation and we are all just an AI on some super advanced computer
4. Naturalism - All there is is Nature, Nothing more, Nothing less.

Regards.
Bad set of choices. There is likely no outside envelope, neither a natural nor an unnatural universe. #4 shares the same problem as the first three, because it presumes there is an outside universe it calls 'Natural universe'. All 4 do not answer 'What is the universe?'

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
1 and 3 (3 to some extent)

I see the universe as a creation of One consciousness/God/Brahman experiencing itself and that One consciousness resides in all living things.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
What if you think the universe is a simulation created by an all natural alien god?

Perditus

へびつかい座
3. Simulation - Our universe is actually a computer simulation and we are all just an AI on some super advanced computer.
This would be the closest to what I believe we're dealing with.

We perceive, see and hear, on a very narrow spectrum of what there is to see and hear. I believe there is much more going on around us than we can perceive.

I would even go so far as to say we are probably surrounded by entities who are really those responsible for and in charge of our reality.

Segev Moran

One can not "prove" any of the four options but only option four does not rely on a logical fallacy. One through three are all just variations of an argument from ignorance.
I Agree and Disagree....

As for Creationism and Aliens, No doubt... Science long ago debunked dozens of claims that were considered a Godly mystery, and I assume it wont take long until the question of how life started will be answered as well...

But as for the Simulation theory... unlike flat earth theory for example... currently have no fallacies...
Not only that, It actually works based on the current physical and astrological knowledge we have.
It actually solves problems that cannot be explained in the universe as we know it

There are gathered evidences that actually suggest that we are possibly a simulation... and thus there is a major experiment on the plan that will provide a more accurate answer regarding the chances of the universe being a simulated one or not....
So I wouldn't cross that option of the table yet...

A very interesting debate about the subject:

Segev Moran

Bad set of choices. There is likely no outside envelope, neither a natural nor an unnatural universe. #4 shares the same problem as the first three, because it presumes there is an outside universe it calls 'Natural universe'. All 4 do not answer 'What is the universe?'
Well.. That kinda contradicts it self....

You have either natural... or un-natural...
There cannot be something in between...

I'll explain:

For example, you have a garden.... you grow tomatoes...
That is natural...
But one day, the tomatoes started being hugh...
Then it was un-natural...
But if the tomatoes continue growing Hugh all over... then it is considered natural...
Once you understand how something un-natural works... it becomes natural :)

Segev Moran

The universe is.

And I do not much care how it got here.
That's a shame...
The more we understand about the universe, The more we understand about humans and hopefully, can learn to become a better species that will actually survive in the next dozen years.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
That's a shame...
The more we understand about the universe, The more we understand about humans and hopefully, can learn to become a better species that will actually survive in the next dozen years.

How does knowing (or rather, thinking you know) the origin of the universe impact your day-to-day life? In other words, how does the story you tell about that impact how you behave?

I'm not aware of a study that has been done on this, but it'd be interesting to see if there has been one. Do people who believe in divine origins versus natural origins (not that these are mutually exclusive, but let's pretend) have different dating preferences because of these beliefs? Do they spend money on different things because of these beliefs? What? Does this make any practical difference at all in human behavior during the day-to-day? My own null hypothesis would be that it does not, but would defer to whatever studies have been done. I find that my own answer to this question does not mean anything with respect to how I live my life, though I'm not attached to any particular story and really do not care about the (supposed) origin of the universe. Certainly, it is not a question I think is at all worth arguing about. :D

idav

Being
Premium Member
How does knowing (or rather, thinking you know) the origin of the universe impact your day-to-day life? In other words, how does the story you tell about that impact how you behave?

I'm not aware of a study that has been done on this, but it'd be interesting to see if there has been one. Do people who believe in divine origins versus natural origins (not that these are mutually exclusive, but let's pretend) have different dating preferences because of these beliefs? Do they spend money on different things because of these beliefs? What? Does this make any practical difference at all in human behavior during the day-to-day? My own null hypothesis would be that it does not, but would defer to whatever studies have been done. I find that my own answer to this question does not mean anything with respect to how I live my life, though I'm not attached to any particular story and really do not care about the (supposed) origin of the universe. Certainly, it is not a question I think is at all worth arguing about. :D
This is how I see it. That seeing the nature of reality as one and knowing(or thinking) that all the universe was one, ought to make us more kind to each other. Its once we start thinking we are better than other animals or even better than other humans that I think problems can start very quickly and I do believe these type of outlooks affect how we treat the world and others around us. Thats my take anyway, can be very important questions to answer. Everything from the universe origins to evolution have an impact on these perceptions.