• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Soul?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
In your belief, religion, what is the soul?
Are memories kept by the soul, is identity kept by the soul?
Some have said there is only one soul that we all share.
Is the soul the conscious self or the unconscious self?
If/when the soul leaves the body, what is left behind?
What part of "us" leaves with the soul?

According to my religion, the nature of the soul is a mystery.

“Thou hast asked Me concerning the nature of the soul. Know, verily, that the soul is a sign of God, a heavenly gem whose reality the most learned of men hath failed to grasp, and whose mystery no mind, however acute, can ever hope to unravel.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 158-159

However, we can know the function of the soul and its eternal destination. Below is a short synopsis on the function of the soul according to my religious beliefs:

The soul works through the brain and while we are living on earth in a physical body. The soul is associated with the brain and it animates and directs the brain and the body.

The soul works through the brain and while we are alive on earth in a physical body, but when we die and no longer have a physical body the soul continues to live. It lives forever, and that is why it is called an 'immortal soul.'

The soul is the sum total of the personality so it is the person himself; the physical body is pure matter with no real identity. The person, after he dies and leaves his physical body behind remains the same person, and he goes to the spiritual world where he continues the life he conducted in the physical world. The soul takes on some kind of a spiritual body made up of elements that exist in the spiritual world.

The soul is our identity, since it is who we are, including our memories. However, I do not know how much we will be thinking about the past after we die and enter the spiritual world. I think we will have a life review, but after that I don't think we will be thinking of our life on earth.

I do not believe that. I believe we all have an individual soul.

In this life, the soul (which is our self) operates through the mind, so it is everything that is in our mind, conscious and unconscious. However, I don't think there will be an unconscious mind in the next life; we will only be conscious, and much more conscious than we were in this life. That is why we will not be able to escape what is before us, we will have to face it.

Only the body.

The soul is "us" so when the soul leaves the body all of us leaves.

Last edited:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
In Heathenry, there are multiple aspects to one's "soul".

Hugr and Munr: Often taken as "thought and memory," it is also interpreted as one's instinct and desire, or the Left Brain (hugr) and Right Brain (munr). If one has a particularly strong hugr, it might even act out that person's unconscious desires. Two peoples' hugr might also be turned towards or away from each other, leading to attraction and disgust. Hugr is also that which passes knowledge from the ages (instinct) to the individual consciousness (munr). Hugr is what informs us to fear the dark (for example,) munr is what drives us to investigate why.

Aldr: This is one's "life-age", or the number of years that are given to us by the norns. This can be shortened or taken away by dishonorable deeds, or even through the actions of others (being murdered).

Fjör: Our life itself, encompassing both unconscious and conscious aspects.

Önd: Our "life-breath"; the general word meaning "soul". This is our individuality and awareness - what makes us us - and is what was given to us by Odin at creation. This aspect of our being can be reborn, and carries elements of our personal being (a close parallel to reincarnation).

Módr: A state of intensity in which one brings forth all of one's innate power; when we become the "Most Us" possible, rather than hiding or diminishing elements of our being for a given situation.

Hamingja: One's store of "luck", which can be lent to us from other people, and is made greater by deeds of honor (and lessened by dishonor). A person with a great store of hamingja would be quite charismatic, for example, and have many things in their life go right for them. (In modern terms, it's what Western people refer to as "Karma" in that good deeds beget good results.)

Máttr (might) and Meginn (main): This is a state of blending one's "soul-strength" with one's "physical-strength". While encountered together, máttr is one's physical prowess, while one's meginn is their spiritual strength.

Ørlög: This is the "ur-law", and the root of all being. To be without ørlög is to not exist in any meaningful way. This is what makes us - at our core - human, rather than a wolf; our ørlög is different from that of canines.

Hamr: This is our spiritual body, or the "us" that exists below our physical skin. Not necessarily the form of a human, this is how we view ourselves when we dream; the more clearly one can view themselves in such a state, the more aware of one's hamr they are.

Warding Wights: These are spiritual guardians and guides (also known as fylgja) that defend us from ill-fate, spiritual attack, and other unforseen dangers.

Kin-Fetch: An ancestral guardian, typically a female spirit. These are akin to bean sidhe, and are tied to a family line, rather than a particular person.

(sourced from Our Troth: Volume II - Living the Troth)

rational experiences

Veteran Member
The heavens is a massed body of various gases.

Outside in vacuum void sun star dusts fuel of light above.

We live inside of oxygenated water mass where colours by refraction is caused ever changing.

A myriad of changes we are aware of.

As I'm I human and I exist.

So two humans exist.

They have a baby. Which we all are.

Our perception atmosphere is different to theirs.

As the two humans as adults before us are and own biological living as all human memories.

Is ignored advice by many thinkers.

The spirit portion water microbiology mass separated by causes sun mass that crossed cannot now enter our bodies by pressure above osmosis causes.

Water oxygenated living microbes and minerals in water. Variables. Life's sustained.

Surrounds us.

All that advice we compiled into stories about why humans exist and live the way we do.

Sacred life saved...sacrificed baby selves saved. Now adult aware. Not a complete human biology of origin parents biology. Owning memories of all types of conditions.

Stories only themed by living humans in the experience.

Isn't a let me compare my AI electricity thesis to a humans soul. So I can own the soul for electricity and you won't own life.

Is a theists summation of self advised theism. That says I confess I own no intention of you owning life.

No use saying it's not AI as Theists claim they can copy remake anything natural as a humans medical scientist mind is first. What they theory biology for.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I would say the soul is the mind, will and emotions.

Our spirit is what makes our souls eternal. They make "one" but yet are separate in function and materiality.

Not sure where the identity is kept.

Conscious self is with the soul but I wouldn't subscribe that there is only one soul

The body is left behind and the soul/spirit leaves. IMV

Colt

12329-istockgetty-images-pluseverste.jpg

In my theology which comes from the Urantia Book revelation of 1955 the elements of being a human are as follows.

"These qualities of universal reality are manifest in Urantian human experience on the following levels:

1. Body. The material or physical organism of man. The living electrochemical mechanism of animal nature and origin.

2. Mind. The thinking, perceiving, and feeling mechanism of the human organism. The total conscious and unconscious experience. The intelligence associated with the emotional life reaching upward through worship and wisdom to the spirit level.

3. Spirit. The divine spirit that indwells the mind of man—the Thought Adjuster. This immortal spirit is prepersonal—not a personality, though destined to become a part of the personality of the surviving mortal creature.

4. Soul. The soul of man is an experiential acquirement. As a mortal creature chooses to “do the will of the Father in heaven,” so the indwelling spirit becomes the father of a new reality in human experience. The mortal and material mind is the mother of this same emerging reality. The substance of this new reality is neither material nor spiritual—it is morontial. This is the emerging and immortal soul which is destined to survive mortal death and begin the Paradise ascension.

Personality. The personality of mortal man is neither body, mind, nor spirit; neither is it the soul. Personality is the one changeless reality in an otherwise ever-changing creature experience; and it unifies all other associated factors of individuality. The personality is the unique bestowal which the Universal Father makes upon the living and associated energies of matter, mind, and spirit, and which survives with the survival of the morontial soul.

Morontia is a term designating a vast level intervening between the material and the spiritual. It may designate personal or impersonal realities, living or nonliving energies. The warp of morontia is spiritual; its woof is physical." Urantia Book 1955 no copyrite

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I would say the soul is the mind, will and emotions.
Our spirit is what makes our souls eternal. They make "one" but yet are separate in function and materiality.
Not sure where the identity is kept. Conscious self is with the soul but I wouldn't subscribe that there is only one soul
The body is left behind and the soul/spirit leaves. IMV

I would agree that Adam had a mind, will and emotions, but No record of an eternal or immortal soul.
Even in the Bible the angels are mortals. Sinner Satan even subject to destruction - Hebrews 2:14 B
To me 'soul and spirit' are separate because sinner Adam became a dead soul - Ezekiel 18:4,20
Our spirit (Ecclesiastes 12:7 B) at death 'it' goes out just like a burned-out light bulb.
IT returns to God in the sense as a foreclosed house returns to the owner.
Meaning any future life for the house now lies in the owner's hands.
Thus, any future life for a person (a dead soul) now lies in God's safe hands via a future resurrection - Acts of the Apostles 24:15

Kenny

Premium Member
I think it is stored in the brain while we are living in a physical body, but after we die and leave our physical body behind we get a spiritual body, as it says in 1 Corinthians 15:40-54.
I guess our identity will then be stored on our spiritual body.
Interesting. I think the brain is simply taking that which is spirit/soul and transmuting it to the natural.

Kenny

Premium Member
I think it is stored in the brain while we are living in a physical body, but after we die and leave our physical body behind we get a spiritual body, as it says in 1 Corinthians 15:40-54.
I guess our identity will then be stored on our spiritual body.
Interesting. I think the brain is simply taking that which is spirit and soul and transmuting it to the natural.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What about physical pain? Or the Central nervous system? Do you think the soul is plugged into the physical world?
I believe that the soul is what animates the brain and body, so the soul is involved in everything that goes on in the brain and body, as long as we are living in a physical body in the physical world.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
If a human wasn't indoctrinated.

No organisations or books reality of a natural life in laws if you tell a truth and not an indoctrination.

Any human before us now we're all babies.

Your perceived conscious reality O a cell that forms out of no human expressed consciousness just water chemicals. Blood attached to you.

Babies heavens as a human living growing first attached to its heavenly blood in water. Fluid.

You get born into an adult's heaven. From one place bodily to another.

Now all the bio adults were all babies too. So any pre lived human is the same being billions.

As you are aware. Awareness says first ever mutual meek living loving kind spiritual were the first human adults consciousness.

We are only remembering returning by heavens changes healing remembering. Transmitted causes from above.

Now in life terms first humans are mutual water memory recorded once lived human parents. Two of them.

Body is dust mineral skeletal owns no recounting terms. It's law exact once.

Advice as information status.

That advice says talking about a heavenly soul now is fake.

As scientific heavenly known human conditions exists with you as you live. Water oxygen microbe heavens only.

Humans born by sperm ovary sex a new life each time is exact.

Human DNA pre lived pre expressed is real. Yet the new human today was never the memory of before. It's always one of self owned lived.

We say once our first parents pre owned a eternal body. Came across. Osmosis pressures changed their body. How waters mass was put inside of their spirit.

Once. Human since.

Science says the eternal does not exist for scientific explanation. Does not mean that when our baby self dies we dont own one spirit body still in the eternal.

As we do. We were separated from it.

Bodily. To be the human form.

If it was not real there is no reason to believe once we lived as another human. It simply would not be expressed.

Creation had been released by change out of a spiritual body mass.

Our parents entered heavens once only became human. Heavens having filled in the divide being space plane the separation position.

We know we lived before all life decimated. We came back after ice age.

Nature garden has always been a nature garden as proof. It was with giant biology now exists with small biology.

In the ground rooted is plants bio mass inside grounds mass. Proof no human came out of ground dusts as fake theories.

So is the themed soul. As when a human says why you don't know is because it wasn't reality.

Elihoenai

12329-istockgetty-images-pluseverste.jpg

Matthew 7:13-14

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

The Soul is the Second Rung on Elohim's/God's Ladder that only a Few hundred/thousand Elect throughout the generations Attain and are Interested of Attaining.

Elohim's/God's Ladder:
Flesh->Soul->Spirit