• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Purpose of Worship?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Does worship have a purpose? If so, what is it?
Considering that god, at least the god of Abraham, doesn't merit worship---hardly a nice guy---I can only see worshiping him as a form of necessary appeasement; Necessary to forestall any cruel judgment when the end comes. "Play by my rules humans or suffer the consequences. Rule one: worship me. Got that? :mad:"

InChrist

Free4ever
I believe worship is a deep expression of love, honor, and thanksgiving. The purpose of worshiping God is to direct our love, honor and thanksgiving toward the One, who as the Creator, is truly worthy of our deepest love and thanksgiving which brings fulfillment and wholeness to our being.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I have always viewed it as an act of loyalty and devotion to a god. The same way one might say that my fiancee "worships" me in the sense that she shows unconditional loyalty to me and respect.

The notion is identical at the end of the day. Worship is an act of humility, purification, and ritualized devotion in some cases.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Considering that god, at least the god of Abraham, doesn't merit worship---hardly a nice guy---I can only see worshiping him as a form of necessary appeasement; Necessary to forestall any cruel judgment when the end comes. "Play by my rules humans or suffer the consequences. Rule one: worship me. Got that? :mad:"

Sounds like someone needs Thor in their life. ;)

Skwim

Veteran Member
Sounds like someone needs Thor in their life. ;)
A whore? Why would I need a whore in my life? I have a perfectly good right hand that's all paid for and never complains. Besides, whores aren't cheap, at least not arou . . . . OHH! "Thor!" That's different. Never mind. :)

Last edited:

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner

For traditional Buddhists worshipping deities has all kinds of selfless benefits, which are the best kind. You're showing love and concern for unseen beings, and there's no telling how that may influence them. Their karma is not truly separate from ours in the pattern.

Invoking them means they get to observe practice of the Dharma. This may awaken in them a desire to change their course. After all, who says gods do not need humans for anything? Certainly not I.

Some of the gods like Indra and Brahma are said to be my fellow Buddhists. It is said Indra took refuge in Shakyamuni and Brahma in one of the Buddha manifestations before him. We practice together. Our practice benefits each other.

Buddhists are discouraged from asking gods for boons like riches and glory. Our worship should be as selfless as possible.

There are gods from other pantheons I am drawn to and invoke. My greatest hope is that those gods might take refuge in the Buddha.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
A whore? Why would I need a whore in my life? I have a perfectly good right hand that's all paid for and never complains. Besides whores aren't cheap, at least not arou . . . . OHH! "Thor!" That's different. Never mind. :)

Why am I picturing Pop Eye having intercourse with a muscular, hairy, red headed man.

My eyes are tainted forever now :D

Skwim

Veteran Member
Why am I picturing Pop Eye having intercourse with a muscular, hairy, red headed man.

My eyes are tainted forever now :D
And now mine are as well. Thanks!
Sad1.gif

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

First of all, let's keep in mind that "worship" is a rather vague concept. It has no clear meaning, no clear boundaries, and when people even have a specific expectation of what it should mean those expectations end up all over the place. One person's understanding of what constitutes worship will not much resemble that of others all that often.

And yet, the environments that created, use and value the concept nearly always associate it with attitudes of reverence or, sometimes, accusation. The end result is an almost deliberate lack of proper acknowledgement of the vagueness and dispersal of the concept.

That said, it seems to me that there are several purposes for worship. The most obvious is the nurturing of attitudes and sentiments related to the object of worship and seen as proper or desirable: contemplation, intimacy or closeness, gratitude or thankfulness, awe, admiration, even love or fear. For some people that can be a powerful motivation and lead to strong biological responses, including hallucinations and erotic arousal.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Rituals around a thing are a way for people to express how they value that thing.

Sacrifice in a common pursuit with a group (e.g. sacrificing your time for a worship service or your money through tithes) demonstrates to the other members of your group that you have "skin in the game:" you're invested in the group and therefore can be trusted to be loyal to the group.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Of course it has a purpose; theism without worship is pointless armchair theism: "I believe in gods, but they have no significance in my life whatsoever and I have no relationship with them." Heck, I wouldn't even call such a person a theist.

In my own tradition, worship does these things (or at least this is what is coming to mind right now):

• Mindfulness. Perhaps first and foremost, worship is the process of acknowledging one's relationships with the gods. Simple mindfulness goes a long way, and is a needed baseline for any and all practices.
  • Relatedness. Beyond simple mindfulness, worship helps deepen one's relationships with the gods. The specific form this takes varies, and much of what is listed below are examples of various ways of deepening relationships with the gods:
    • Gratitude and Celebration. Remembering to count one's blessings and express thanks for the gods is one of the most important functions of worship. These celebrations give meaningfulness to our lives.
    • Learning. Deepening relationships requires getting to know someone (in this case, the gods). Getting to know the gods in my tradition looks like studying... well... everything. Especially the sciences, but also storytelling more broadly.
    • Creativity. Finding different ways of celebrating relationships encourages creativity and producing works of art. It might be poetry, prose, sculpture, theatrics... the arts have roots in religious worship for a reason.
  • Valuation. That which you spend the most time worshiping at a given time is an articulation of personal values, which in turn informs or guides life's meaningfulness.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
From the Hindu perspective I would say purposes, not purpose. It's multifaceted. At any given day at the Hindu temple, you will see camaraderie, calming, thankfulness, celebration of events, beseeching for help with a specific problem, inner communion with the divine, just to cheer up, wiping out a problem, clarifying your thoughts, and likely several more purposes I can't remember just now. After all, I was at temple just now, and the sannidhya (darshan, energy) has had a calming non-intellectual effect.