• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what is the origin of sin/evil?

Abulafia

What?
I am the one with the knowledge

Ok, but we must remember you bestowed upon you this information.

It is not in compactium momentum, but normally acquired, time bound, human knowledge

No, it is knowledge from God. It only becomes time-bound once you are inextricably involved in it en passe. The relayer of this knowledge is timeless, so essentially, as the knowledge is of Himself, the knowledge is timeless in its purest form. When you come into contact with the numinous, does the numinous become mundane? That is a matter of debate.....Anyway, lets go with the idea that the knowledge as you conceive it is time-bound, but in originality, timeless.

It is knowledge of an event that will happen in the future

Your future. It is happening to God. So the essence of the moment is that, the knowledge, as conceived by God, is timeless, as is He. Yet, when God speaks to you, his verisimilitude is desecrated by time-bound comprehension. To you, it is happening in the future. To God, it is happening.

Beaudreaux

Abulafia said:
To you, it is happening in the future.

EXACTLY! It is also happening in the future to YOU. Now, if I know with certainty what your future action will be, because God told me, is it possible that you will do something other than what God and I know? Please answer with a "yes" or "no" before the neologisms start flowing.

Beaudreaux

EXACTLY! It is also happening in the future to YOU. Now, if I know with certainty what your future action will be, because God told me, is it possible that you will do something other than what God and I know? Please answer with a "yes" or "no" before the neologisms start flowing.
[crickets]...

OK, I"ll say it then. OF COURSE it would not be possible for you to do something different because if you did then God's knowledge, which he imparted to me, would be wrong. And if you haven't figured it out yet, it doesn't matter if God actually tells me or not because at any moment in our lives, there is a God who knows our future at that second and could relay it to us if He wanted. The existence of that knowledge IN TIME is the key.

Now, back to our OP. :) If God is omniscient then he is undoubtedly the origin of sin and evil.

Abulafia

What?
[crickets]...

OK, I"ll say it then. OF COURSE it would not be possible for you to do something different because if you did then God's knowledge, which he imparted to me, would be wrong. And if you haven't figured it out yet, it doesn't matter if God actually tells me or not because at any moment in our lives, there is a God who knows our future at that second and could relay it to us if He wanted. The existence of that knowledge IN TIME is the key.

Now, back to our OP. :) If God is omniscient then he is undoubtedly the origin of sin and evil.

Sorry...School has started up again once more, so I'll get back to you as soon as I have time. At the meantime, I'm not supposed to be on the school's PC....;)

Abulafia

What?

Your argument relies on the premise that God will tell you what will happen...well, sorry to say this, but as I conceive God, He will not. Prophecy, in its purest form is of possibility, a back-stemming reality, one of the multitudous multiverses. Prophecy, as you behold it, is definite, incontrivertible, and infallible. We are free to make choices, because God does not, when relaying information, does not do so in specifity. God, in his essential, unbiased form, will not vitiate your free-will because the such relies on his perception of time, not yours. You observe things as a flowing miasma, a little bit of natant fraction at a time. Who's the supposed "counteragent" to this factoid? God. The perfect, quintessential form of perception is instantaneous, removal, and "compactium momentum". Since you are evidently not perfect, the perception is flawed, and you observe things in progression.....why? Agnosticism does not afford us the answer......:shrug:

Please answer with a "yes" or "no" before the neologisms start flowing.

Why should I? You avoid your own methodology...and besides the metaphysical discussionary precepts also slide away underneath our literal words.:facepalm:

Beaudreaux

Abulafia said:
Your argument relies on the premise that God will tell you what will happen...well, sorry to say this, but as I conceive God, He will not.

No, as I stated earlier, my argument depends on the fact that God COULD tell me what will happen. You have already agreed this is possible.

Abulafia said:
?..God, if he so chose, could talk to you, at this moment and tell you what shirt I am wearing tomorrow.
The knowledge exists at this moment whether God shares it with me or not. If so, free will is not possible.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
No, as I stated earlier, my argument depends on the fact that God COULD tell me what will happen. You have already agreed this is possible.
The knowledge exists at this moment whether God shares it with me or not. If so, free will is not possible.

With the gift of a free moral will, then God choose not to interfere with one's choices. Both Satan and Adam were free moral agents. They were not robots or automatons. God only uses his foreknowledge when absolutely necessary for the sake of the upright such as in the days of Noah.
Jesus too had his own separate free will.
Mt 26v39; Lk 22v42; Jn 5v30;6v38

We choose whether we will end up as 'sheep' or 'goats' by the way Jesus 'brothers' are treated. Jesus uses that as a basis for his coming judgment at the time when the nations are separated before him and with favored ones being placed, so to speak, placed at Jesus right hand of favor.
Matthew 25 vs31,32,37,40.