• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the most tolerant religion?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
MaddLlama said:
Buddhism, and the fundamentalist stripes of the monotheistic religions, respectively.

The most tollerant ? perhaps UUs. By the time they get round to deciding whether they are intollerant of something - it's history.:D

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
love said:
What is the most most tolerant religion?
Unitarian Universalism, hands down. :D

But if I can't pick my own religion (which I came to largely because of its openness to other faiths) then I would say Hinduism. Hinduism explicitly teaches that there are many valid paths.

(I've met a fair share of anti-Christian Pagans and even anti-Christian Buddhists.)

love said:
What is the most intolerant religion?
Any religion that says "My way is the only way." It's a matter of interpretation which ones those are.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
What is the most most tolerant religion?
I'd say Manichaeism.

Mani deliberately set out to make a universal religion, so wherever Manichaeism spread it absorbed local beliefs, thus in different parts of the world Manichaeism was very different - Buddhist and Taoist in the east, Christian in the west.
It wasn't a "this is the Truth!" religion, it allowed for all cultures to express their religious thought, while still being a part of the religion of Mani as a whole. It didn't override local belief, but incorporated it - i can't think of anything more tolerant than incorporating a belief into your religion.

Although, Manichaeism is dead. So i'd say for extant religions that Shinto reflects Manichaeism's absorptive nature the most, so i'll go for Shinto.
(I haven't said UU because, from my POV [and i don't mean to cause offense to UU's in any way], UU seems more like an umbrella of religious philosophy than what i would usually consider a single religion.)

What is the most intolerant religion?
Any of the three Abrahamics would qualify, IMHO. Although to be specific, i'd have to say JW's.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Why have several posters listed Jehovah's Witnesses as the least tolerant? I'm not trying to start a debate, nor am I defending JW. I am just curious.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Mostly those that don't have authority overseeing the respective religion. The more autonomous, usually the more tolerant.

Quiddity

Engyo said:
What he said. Luke, you beat me to it.

I don't agree with that. Of course it's the person being intolerant, but if the person is simply mirroring him/herself on the tenets of the religion, how can you not call the religion intolerant?

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
lilithu said:
Why have several posters listed Jehovah's Witnesses as the least tolerant? I'm not trying to start a debate, nor am I defending JW. I am just curious.

I used to think so too but then there was this JW guy who told me that he read the Bhagvad Gita! :eek:m: He had an open discussion with me and he didn't push his beliefs on me. However, there are some that will try to do it. You know like...."my way is the only way".:rolleyes:

This has been my experience - sometimes when people convert from one relgion to another, they tend to ill-speak the religion they converted from. In Trinidad, I know a couple Hindus who converted to Christianity and they want nothing to do with the religion. If you invite them to a Hindu Satsangh (prayer meeting), they will never come, but invite a Christian, i.e. someone born into a Christian home, that person will come and help with preparations for the Satsangh, eat Prasadam (offerings) etc.

Popeyesays

*Paul* said:
I know what your official statements say but I am speaking soley on my personal experience and giving my personal opinion based on that. I have never once seen a Bahai jump in and defend Christian doctrine in a debate I have been involved in even when it covers the things Bahais claim to believe, . . . Jesus' divinity.

Yet when I have been involved in debate with muslims I often find myself against both Bahai and Muslim, not too much on this site though thankfully, you guys tend to stay out of the way on this site.

This is not a reflection on Bahai official teaching but on my experience with it's followers.

I would point out that the Manifestations of God are illumined by the Divine Spirit to the degree that no 'man' can attain, but they are human beings, not divine in Essence. Muhammad was not God, Baha`u'llah is not God, Jesus is not God. God is not divisable or multiple, He is ONE.

For a Manifestation to BE God, it would mean God is part of Creation. If God were part of Creation, WHO created God?

From my point of view God is complete and whole before Creation was brought into being BY God. If Creation were 'cancedlled' so to speak, God would still be God and would not depend upon His Creation for anything that He might NEED.

God is self-subsisting, therefore He is not part of Creation which is NOT self-subsisting.

This is why the doctrine of incarnation makes no sense to me.

Regards,
Scott

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Victor said:
I don't agree with that. Of course it's the person being intolerant, but if the person is simply mirroring him/herself on the tenets of the religion, how can you not call the religion intolerant?
Based on this and my personal experiences I would have to say Christians are the least tolerant.
The thing is that I do not hold the religion to blame for the actions of the individuals.

I would have to say that it is certain people, regardless of religion, who are intolerant.
Why?
Because there is not a single religion that does not have intolerant members.

So unless you are wanting to go with the "No True Scotsman" fallacy...

Quiddity

Mestemia said:
Based on this and my personal experiences I would have to say Christians are the least tolerant.
The thing is that I do not hold the religion to blame for the actions of the individuals.

I would have to say that it is certain people, regardless of religion, who are intolerant.
Why?

It's really quite simple. If a particular faith teaches (as doctrine) that "blacks are inferior" then you bet I will hold the religion accountable. What I will not do is hold the religion accountable if it does not teach such things.

How many evils have Christians committed? This forum is chalk full of people noting them. So If a Catholic goes out and committs rape, I think most people know that's not what we teach.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Victor said:
It's really quite simple. If a particular faith teaches (as doctrine) that "blacks are inferior" then you bet I will hold the religion accountable. What I will not do is hold the religion accountable if it does not teach such things.

How many evils have Christians committed? This forum is chalk full of people noting them. So If a Catholic goes out and committs rape, I think most people know that's not what we teach.
So how does this fit into the current same sex marriage argument?

Quiddity

Mestemia said:
So how does this fit into the current same sex marriage argument?

If you are looking for me to tell you that I am intolerant, then I'll save you some time and tell you that I am intolerant. Not just me, but my religion as well. At least I'm being consistant. ;)

gnomon

If I went by scripture alone I would say Christianity and Buddhism are the most tolerant religions.

If I went by examples, there is no such thing as the most tolerant religion.

love

tri-polar optimist
Mestemia said:

Why?

Judgemental Christians must be talking about another faith because the whole point of Christianity is forgiveness. If they seem a little hard in somethings being unexceptable to God they are just following the Word. A true Christian should be able to accept anyone as would Christ. Jesus will never turn you down and He has the authority.

Quiddity

love said:
Judgemental Christians must be talking about another faith because the whole point of Christianity is forgiveness. If they seem a little hard in somethings being unexceptable to God they are just following the Word. A true Christian should be able to accept anyone as would Christ. Jesus will never turn you down and He has the authority.

Although I think I know what you are trying to say, surely you don't think Christ accepted everything?

Just remember that intolerance can either be attached to a person or an idea/belief. I hope you see the difference.

love

tri-polar optimist
Victor said:
Although I think I know what you are trying to say, surely you don't think Christ accepted everything?

Just remember that intolerance can either be attached to a person or an idea/belief. I hope you see the difference.
I lay the foundation of my belief on the wisdom and love that Jesus Christ showed the world. When others were ready to execute a person did Jesus every say procede? When Peter cut off the guards ear did not Jesus stop him? Did He ever cause pain to any man? Jesus Christ even knew when His garment had been touched by a righteous person. He will know you.

Quiddity

love said:
I lay the foundation of my belief on the wisdom and love that Jesus Christ showed the world. When others were ready to execute a person did Jesus every say procede? When Peter cut off the guards ear did not Jesus stop him? Did He ever cause pain to any man? Jesus Christ even knew when His garment had been touched by a righteous person. He will know you.

Thanks for not answering my question.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
I thank you for bring this up, as was think about it earlier, on the grounds of how Christianity not following Christ; yet the Pharisees, being John and Paul.
Making them self’s an authority over most people and so again not follow Christ to begin with.
That is confusing I know, yet when John is so easily proven false, in so many place it can not be taken as gospel.
So when half of that is force fed down peoples throats by intolerant Christians, no matter which denomination, it is not bringing someone to Christ-ship as to understand God, it is bring them to the church to be brainwashed into believing something that the Bible stands so strongly against and is the mother of all harlots and her children.

Point being this is pure intolerance and in doing, so making our people grow further apart, by calling each other religions to begin with, as sects wish people to be, for control.
Sorry that sounds so intolerant by my self, yet when the whole purpose is to believe in another should suffer for your mistakes, this is in no ways shape or form right in my heart, and what the Bible says about it.

The complete disregard for the prophets is disgusting and again completely intolerant on the part of all Christianity and its many dominations, which all stand against God!
So unless that is ever fixed by us, then we continue with intolerant Christian force feeding “the way the truth and the life”….which is from a Pharisee author and no where else is it accounted to Christ otherwise, and on his principles it stand against how Christ is.

Sorry this is going on so much, yet when I have heard during this life time of Christians making their churches to have Buddhist come along and kill them for it, then we can’t say they are tolerant.
When i have seen near Krishna gurus having Christianity force fed again, by another person, who makes it their responsibly to be a Pharisee and copy words, not make their own.
That is intolerance from one side and so one action cause another reaction.
So when ever a Christian is proclaiming these lies against Christ and the Bible with all that Pharisee Balaam rubbish, it really is so intolerant, we have had billions killed for this same reason.

So which is most tolerant, none, as they still call them self a religion.

The mustard seed is in most of the books…..Heaven has most enlightened Gurus whom were and are elders/Elohim, so who is tolerant if all the books sit as one and we don’t?