• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the meaning of left vs right

David T

Premium Member
I posted this in the theological forum because it developed as a theological reading of the bible.

The Latin adjectivesinister/sinistra/sinistrum originally meant "left" but took on meanings of "evil" or "unlucky" by the Classical Latin era, and this double meaning survives in European derivatives of Latin, and in the English word "sinister".

Lots of biased inference is required for a culture to develop such nonsense. But then again at one time i am sure it would have been seen as fact. Scientifically even.

Actually in my unbiased view left should mean always more correcter than right. And right should mean accidently correct occasionally. But hey i have a confirmational bias as well.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I posted this in the theological forum because it developed as a theological reading of the bible.

The Latin adjectivesinister/sinistra/sinistrum originally meant "left" but took on meanings of "evil" or "unlucky" by the Classical Latin era, and this double meaning survives in European derivatives of Latin, and in the English word "sinister".

Lots of biased inference is required for a culture to develop such nonsense. But then again at one time i am sure it would have been seen as fact. Scientifically even.

Actually in my unbiased view left should mean always more correcter than right. And right should mean accidently correct occasionally. But hey i have a confirmational bias as well.

As in Left Hand Path?

In my view Left is less authoritarian Right is more authoritarian.

On the left, "right" is more a matter of personal views. While on the right "right" is determined by someone who is seen as having authority to make this determination.

David T

Premium Member
As in Left Hand Path?

On the left, "right" is more a matter of personal views. While on the right "right" is determined by someone who is seen as having authority to make this determination.

Indeed its all subjective. It is funny how "theologically" it developed up through latin,

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
As in Left Hand Path?

It's at least 2 dimensional. There is an authoritarian left and a libertarian right.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
In terms of religion?
Great question. I've always seen "left" and "right" as political terms not religious ones so I automatically responded in a political way.

For example, take evangelical Christians. Some welcome immigrants, even illegal ones, based on their reading of gospel. Some do the opposite.

Even the word "authoritarian" is not one I consider to be religious. The same church has different focuses under different pope with no change in the authority of the papacy.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Great question. I've always seen "left" and "right" as political terms not religious ones so I automatically responded in a political way.

For example, take evangelical Christians. Some welcome immigrants, even illegal ones, based on their reading of gospel. Some do the opposite.

Even the word "authoritarian" is not one I consider to be religious. The same church has different focuses under different pope with no change in the authority of the papacy.

I was just curious. Just wondering if there was an authoritarian LHP movement. Kind of suspected your response was from a political perspective but didn't want to assume.

Looks like I was wrong about it anyway.

In more recent definitions, which base themselves on the terms' origins in Indian Tantra, the Right-Hand Path, or RHP, is seen as a definition for those magical groups that follow specific ethical codes and adopt social convention, while the Left-Hand Path adopts the opposite attitude, espousing the breaking of taboo and the abandoning of set morality.
Left-hand path and right-hand path - Wikipedia

Jumi

Sounds like Taoism to me. DDJ verse 31

David T

Premium Member
Sounds like Taoism to me. DDJ verse 31
You know jumi that text magically materialized in my lap at the deepest hour of my darkness in my life. It set my foot in correct alignment and said "you are ok walk this way" .

There are three ancients i hold important. Lao Tzu, to the far east, Buddha in the central, and Heraclitus in the west. All three lived at the same time or extremely close to each other. The Tao led me to the others. Its not that i have massively invested tons of reading into them, its that all three harmonized for me as i followed the rising sun from the east to the west.

It was "oh the Tao, oh buddha, oh heraclitus," till i ended up on mount neahkanie on the oregon coast, and finally arrived and looked out beyound the borders "oh thats what they mean." simple and Strange stuff difficult to express.
400px-NeahkahnieVP1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Being a 'Liberal', or 'left' can be good.

Isaiah 32:8 "But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand."

But in today's time, things are changing. Soon Liberals will require more dutiful responsibilities in keeping with accountability.

Isaiah 32:5 "The vile person shall be no more called liberal, nor the churl said to be bountiful."

And soon, Proverbs 11:25 "The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself."

Neutral Name

Ok, so left was sinister but that is just an ancient belief. I would have to research to see why. My sister is a lefty and they tried to teach her to write right handed. That is evil. Left and right are no different.

Ebionite

A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.
Ecclesiastes 10:2

Being a 'Liberal', or 'left' can be good.
Liberal and leftist are different political ideologies. Liberals are accommodating, but leftists advocate change.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
It's at least 2 dimensional. There is an authoritarian left and a libertarian right.

We are talking religion, not politics. This doesn't hold true politically though, as there is the Libertarian Left. Few are truly Libertarian in both the fiscal and social areas.