• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the greatest work of art man has created?

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
What is the greatest work of art man has created? The pinnacle of human creativity; the height of art's glory?

finalfrogo

I think the Mona Lisa, because its beautiful, thoughtful, and enigmatic. However, I am unfamiliar with most art, so I am not very qualified to answer such a question.

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
Ceiling of the Cistine chapel, utterly breathtaking, I saw it last year, and nearly cried, absoloutely beautiful..

finalfrogo

Hm I don't know about music. Something by Mozart probably.

Literature... that's hard too. There's so many works! This is a hard question to answer.

Ori

Angel slayer
Druidus said:
Of course! And don't forget philosophy!

Cool !

Well, there is loads to choose from in my opinion, be it the anime of Neon Genesis Evangelion by Hideaki Anno, The Luncheon of the boating party by Pierre-Auguste Renoir or the Great wall of China by many people.

But my pick for the top has to be Beethovens 9th. :dan:

waacman

Restoration of everything
"David" by Michelangelo

Taking a huge chunk of really crappy marble and chipping and forming it into something that perfect anatomically speaking is pretty amazing to me

standing_alone

As far as paintings go, I think Cassius Coolidge is one of the greatest artists of all time, if not the greatest. You may be familiar with his most famous painting (and arguably, the best painting ever in history) "A Friend in Need"

00000225.gif

I mean, if that's not the greatest painting in all of history, I don't know what is!

Orichalcum said:
But my pick for the top has to be Beethovens 9th.

I prefer the Second Movement of Beethoven's Seventh Symphony. Also Mozart's Lacrimosa is beautiful.

As far as "philosophical" works go, I'm way too biased, but I'd say Walden by Henry David Thoreau. But like I said, I'm very biased - I'm practically in love with this guy - if only I lived in his time... *sigh* Well, and wasn't gay. :D

Ormiston

standing_alone said:
I prefer the Second Movement of Beethoven's Seventh Symphony.

I think it's the 5th that I prefer. Isn't that the one that goes, "Dun Dun Dun DUHHHH! Dun Dun Dun DUHHHH!"? :jam:

standing_alone

Since the Cistine Chapel gets so much praise (and rightfully so, I may add), I'd like to also add the Wieskirche to the list of great art. When I was in Germany in June of 2003, I went there and it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in my life. I was in awe the whole time.

wieskirche.jpg

Here's looking towards the alter.

DSC00294.jpg

And here's some of the ceiling. I thought it was just amazing when I was there - still do think it's amazing.