• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Gospel?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It must have been a very weird church that taught infants went to hell or Abraham, Moses, Daniel, and those before Christ. I’ve never heard of such aberrant teachings in a Bible-believing church and I’ve attended and visited several and a variety over the last thirty years.
The infants in Hell, to my best knowledge is antiquated and isn't much believed anymore, if at all.
As for the Harrowing of Hell, I was taught that in a Southern Baptist Church that for homeschooling curriculum used the Accelerated Christian Education program.
Accelerated Christian Education - Wikipedia

InChrist

Free4ever
It's not Hell they were said to go to, but Sheol; this is where, early Judaism believed, everyone went after death regardless. All rewards were in this world. Sheol is just a shadowy place where the souls of the dead are in a kind of sleep. So it was believed that Jesus came and took the good souls out of this shadowy afterlife and brought them to Heaven. The issue is the wording - "Hell" is not a great word nowadays, but back in the very early days the Saxon word "Hel" was much closer in meaning to Sheol. So this is where we get the Harrowing of Hell. This is a standard belief in Apostolic Churches (Catholic, Anglican, Orthodox) and is referenced in the Nicene Creed.

I agree “hell” is not the most accurate or understood word today. Sheol or hades seem more accurate to me and both mean a temporary place of the departed souls of the dead. Jesus referred Abraham’s bosom (Luke 16:18-31). From my understanding and the Christian perspective, Sheol/Hades was divided with a great gulf or separation between the righteous who were in peace and contentment (Abraham’s bosom) and the unrighteous who were in torment. Now that Christ has paid for the sins of the world and conquered death all the souls who were in the Abraham’s bosom section of Sheol/Hades are in heaven with God awaiting the resurrection of their glorified, eternal bodies. The unrighteousness remain in Sheol/Hades awaiting final judgement. All who have died since Christ go either to Sheol/Hades (the unrighteous) to await final judgement or directly time be with the Lord (the righteous); also to await their resurrected eternal bodies.

This article may be of interest...

What is the difference between Sheol, Hades, Hell, the lake of fire, Paradise, and Abraham’s bosom? | GotQuestions.org

firedragon

Veteran Member
Mainly aimed at Christians but open to everyone.

What is the gospel message? If someone asked you 'What is the good news?' What would you say?

Hmm. As Muslims there is a concept as well. The Gospel was a revelation or message that was given to Jesus. No one knows the exact message. No one knows if anyone wrote anything of it down. One could only assume some of it was written down by those who heard about it along with what ever they wrote.

The Gospels in the Bible were never named Gospels but by redaction alone. Within the so called Gospels in the New Testament they speak of "Jesus preached the Gospel" which means he was not preaching that particular book, mark, Matthew, Luke or John, but something the author calls Gospel within it.

In my personal opinion there was something called the Torah, or the Law which was abandoned or forgotten as usual with people, and Jesus was given the task to reestablish it or reiterate it, and he came to people and told them that the law is not to be abandoned but revitalised. That's just my opinion what the Gospel was.

Peace.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Sheol or hades seem more accurate to me and both mean a temporary place of the departed souls of the dead.

You know I'm a little curious. In the Bible, when it speaks of Hades chasing someone, do you believe it was Hell chasing someone?

DNB

Christian

What is the gospel message? If someone asked you 'What is the good news?' What would you say?
That God has offered man redemption and forgiveness of sins, for merely repenting of his transgressions and accepting the atoning work and consequent lordship of Christ Jesus.
That is, man is not required to be perfect, despite the necessity of being so in order to be in God's presence. Man's sins are absolved and his soul redeemed merely by having faith in the life, death and Messiaship of the Son of Man.

InChrist

Free4ever
You know I'm a little curious. In the Bible, when it speaks of Hades chasing someone, do you believe it was Hell chasing someone?
I am not familiar with where the Bible speaks of Hades chasing someone. Do you have a reference? But I don’t believe Hades literally chases anyone.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I am not familiar with where the Bible speaks of Hades chasing someone. Do you have a reference? But I don’t believe Hades literally chases anyone.

I doubt it means literally chasing so you are right probably.

Consider Revelation 6:8.

Last edited:

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man may come unto the Father except by me. John 14:6

OIP.3sZEH7Q8zrBX3YJaMOiPywHaFh

Lol, my apologies, I just could not resist.

InChrist

Free4ever
I doubt it means literally chasing so you are right probably.

Consider Revelation 6:8.
Thank you. I’d say it’s basically just referring to “death” that will come upon one fourth of the earth’s population. The version I read says...

So I looked, and behold, a pale horse. And the name of him who sat on it was Death, and Hades followed with him. And power was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword, with hunger, with death, and by the beasts of the earth.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Thank you. I’d say it’s basically just referring to “death” that will come upon one fourth of the earth’s population. The version I read says...

So I looked, and behold, a pale horse. And the name of him who sat on it was Death, and Hades followed with him. And power was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword, with hunger, with death, and by the beasts of the earth.

Hmm. Thats not correct. It says Ho Thanatos which means death, then it says Kai which means "and". So death and Hades were following him. They are mentioned separately.

I just want to know how you interpret it, though I can say Hades does not mean death in this verse because it separates them with with "and".

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree “hell” is not the most accurate or understood word today. Sheol or hades seem more accurate to me and both mean a temporary place of the departed souls of the dead. Jesus referred Abraham’s bosom (Luke 16:18-31). From my understanding and the Christian perspective, Sheol/Hades was divided with a great gulf or separation between the righteous who were in peace and contentment (Abraham’s bosom) and the unrighteous who were in torment. Now that Christ has paid for the sins of the world and conquered death all the souls who were in the Abraham’s bosom section of Sheol/Hades are in heaven with God awaiting the resurrection of their glorified, eternal bodies. The unrighteousness remain in Sheol/Hades awaiting final judgement. All who have died since Christ go either to Sheol/Hades (the unrighteous) to await final judgement or directly time be with the Lord (the righteous); also to await their resurrected eternal bodies.

This article may be of interest...

What is the difference between Sheol, Hades, Hell, the lake of fire, Paradise, and Abraham’s bosom? | GotQuestions.org
Ecclesiastes say they all go to the same place. In any case, that is where they were.

PruePhillip

That Jesus is the Messiah Redeemer who came to pay the price, in his own flesh, for our sins. In that we accept this covenant,
and repent we can have forgiveness and salvation.

ajay0

I am more interested in the original message and gospels of Christianity, before they were editted by the romans in the councils of nicea and constantinople a couple of centuries later, and the roman version presented as a standardized version of christianity.

I think the original gospels and christian scriptures were a more comprehensive, coherent and complete version of what Christ actually taught.

PruePhillip

I am more interested in the original message and gospels of Christianity, before they were editted by the romans in the councils of nicea and constantinople a couple of centuries later, and the roman version presented as a standardized version of christianity.

I think the original gospels and christian scriptures were a more comprehensive, coherent and complete version of what Christ actually taught.

You have any evidence, beyond grammatical or translation issues, for wholesale changes in the Gospels from the First Century?
Matt, Mark and Luke were all written prior to mid '60's, and John wrote his Gospel at the end of the First Century. Paul's earliest
epistle was written mid '50's and here he seems to be quoting these Gospels.

Redwing

Free as a bird

The gospel is the teachings of Jesus Christ, including the plan of salvation and the purpose of life.

ajay0

You have any evidence, beyond grammatical or translation issues, for wholesale changes in the Gospels from the First Century?

The romans subjected the christians to brutal persecution for centuries and much of their scriptures were burnt down and theologians killed.

After finally accepting christianity, they compiled and editted the christian scriptures as per their sensibilities and declared as heretical all others which differed from roman editted christian scriptures.

This is enough evidence for me that the original christian scriptures has been trampled with, and what is available is just a much editted version of the original christian scriptures.

This could also be a reason for its seeming incoherence at present, imo.