• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the evidence for and against the validity of astrology

Muffled

Jesus in me
Evidence against was presented in another post as thus:

"Scientific testing has found no evidence to support the premises or purported effects outlined in astrological traditions. Where astrology has made falsifiable predictions, it has been falsified. The most famous test was headed by Shawn Carlson and included a committee of scientists and a committee of astrologers." <CITATION>

"Astrology is bs. NASA's scathing takedown perfectly explains why."

"Astronomers have spent years patiently trying to explain why zodiac signs are not science, and NASA finally seems fed up with the public's obsession with them. NASA just dropped the ultimate astrology smackdown in a Tumblr post that's since gone viral."

Muffled

Jesus in me

"Scientific testing has found no evidence to support the premises or purported effects outlined in astrological traditions. Where astrology has made falsifiable predictions, it has been falsified. The most famous test was headed by Shawn Carlson and included a committee of scientists and a committee of astrologers." <CITATION>

"Astronomers have spent years patiently trying to explain why zodiac signs are not science, and NASA finally seems fed up with the public's obsession with them. NASA just dropped the ultimate astrology smackdown in a Tumblr post that's since gone viral."

So what in the world is that? So I read up on it on Wikipedia. I do not believe the test was valid. It did prove that it isn't easy to match up profiles but that is not what astrology does.

I believe that is correct. It is not science. It is mysticism.

MikeF

Premium Member

I will be fascinated to see the proposed evidence in support of the validity of astrology.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The majority of science had classed astrology as unscientific since the early islamic scientists over 1300 years ago.

Brian Cox, particle physicist, cern scientists and science educator is on record as calling astrology a load of bollocks - rubbish - nonsense during tv presentations.

I have no scientific background but i do agree with him ;-)

Kfox

The problem with astrology is that it is based on the placement of the stars as viewed from Earth. The problem with that is as the Earth rotates, it also wobbles making it impossible to predict the placement of the stars on a specific date in the past.

Sheldon

Veteran Member

I linked the evidence, you ignored it, then claimed it was not relevant to the OP, (see evasion), now you start a thread and omit it entirely?

Astrology vs. astronomy
Here's the math NASA used

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The majority of science had classed astrology as unscientific since the early islamic scientists over 1300 years ago.

Brian Cox, particle physicist, cern scientists and science educator is on record as calling astrology a load of bollocks - rubbish - nonsense during tv presentations.

I have no scientific background but i do agree with him ;-)
I like Douglas Adams's take on it:

"If big chunks of rock whirling about in space know more about your day than you do, you're in trouble."

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So what in the world is that? So I read up on it on Wikipedia. I do not believe the test was valid. It did prove that it isn't easy to match up profiles but that is not what astrology does.

I believe that is correct. It is not science. It is mysticism.
The test was one that a believer in astrology thought that his science could pass.

The problem with the various woo woo beliefs is that there is no single model that is accepted by anywhere near a majority for any of them.

The fact is that there is no scientific evidence for astrology and that flaw in the belief is due to the inability of believers to produce any.

It always helps if one knows what scientific evidence is before one tries to claim that there is such evidence for their beliefs.

I assume from your posts that you do believe in astrology. What reasonable test, if any, could possibly refute astrology based upon the merits of astrology?