• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the evidence for and against the validity of astrology

Muffled

Jesus in me
Anyone remember Nancy Reagan's belief in astrology and how it influenced her role as First Lady and the strong influence she had on Ronald?

I haven't read anything about it. I believe Hitler was into the occult and made mistakes because of it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
So you believe it because a book says so?
Then what about other books like the Upanishads that say Brahman is the "primordial reality that creates, maintains and withdraws within it the universe",

I believe you will never see the expression "God says": in the Upanishads, so the source is questionable. Having read them The Holy Spirit revealed to me that they are philosophical writings.

joelr

I believe you will never see the expression "God says": in the Upanishads, so the source is questionable. Having read them The Holy Spirit revealed to me that they are philosophical writings.
Brahman is the ultimate God in Hinduism. They call it God sometimes. Same with the Christian God. Yahweh/God.
Does the Holy Spirit reveal things to you?

Muffled

Jesus in me
I linked the evidence, you ignored it, then claimed it was not relevant to the OP, (see evasion), now you start a thread and omit it entirely?

Astrology vs. astronomy
Here's the math NASA used

"Then, NASA explained the actual science behind the zodiac. Astrology is rooted in the idea that your zodiac sign can actually influence your personality or future"

I believe that statement is false and shows ignorance of astrology.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
"Then, NASA explained the actual science behind the zodiac. Astrology is rooted in the idea that your zodiac sign can actually influence your personality or future"

You can believe all you want. Now explain it using more that just belief as such.

Muffled

Jesus in me
You can believe all you want. Now explain it using more that just belief as such.

I believe astrology is not about stars but is about life and time. For instance astrology is a northern hemisphere concept. The southern hemisphere would be opposite. Cancer in the North would be Capricorn in the south.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I believe it did but my memory might be a little vague and I have to brush up on it. After all that was 48 years ago.

Or you could just Google a list of them. :rolleyes:

15 Common Logical Fallacies and How to Spot Them

You can't claim expertise, then when challenged claim you don't remember any of it as it was nearly half a century ago, sorry but that is just risible. Like denying that NASA know more about cosmology and astronomy than hokum superstitions like astrology.

One can believe what one wants, even claim what one wants, but one cannot change objective facts, and when one waves away such objective evidence it only indicates blind bias.

"The constellations are different sizes and shapes, so the sun spends different lengths of time lined up with each one. The line from Earth through the sun points to Virgo for 45 days, but it points to Scorpius for only 7 days. To make a tidy match with their 12-month calendar, the Babylonians ignored the fact that the sun actually moves through 13 constellations, not 12. Then they assigned each of those 12 constellations equal amounts of time."

Constellations and the Calendar

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I haven't read anything about it. I believe Hitler was into the occult and made mistakes because of it.
That was Himmler, who believed in Nordic Pagan religions and deities. Hitler was baptised as, and claimed to be, a Catholic his entire life. They were both theists.

Sheldon

Veteran Member

As I said, you are ignoring the evidence from NASA, with hand waving and blind biased denials. Astrology is complete hokum, sadly you seem emotionally invested in this nonsense.

Reactions: ppp

Muffled

Jesus in me
I linked the evidence, you ignored it, then claimed it was not relevant to the OP, (see evasion), now you start a thread and omit it entirely?

Astrology vs. astronomy
Here's the math NASA used

"Earth's axis has shifted since the concept of the zodiac was first invented, so the constellations don't correspond to the same time periods anymore."

I believe they think the position of the stars today illegitimiizes astrology. That isn't true because it is not the stars. It is where the stars were when astrology was formulated. It is about the seasons. So when astrology was formed the constellation Leo represented a summer month.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
"Earth's axis has shifted since the concept of the zodiac was first invented, so the constellations don't correspond to the same time periods anymore."

I believe they think the position of the stars today illegitimiizes astrology. That isn't true because it is not the stars. It is where the stars were when astrology was formulated. It is about the seasons. So when astrology was formed the constellation Leo represented a summer month.

Read it all, and with an open mind.

"Some curious symbols ring the outside of the Star Finder. These symbols stand for some of the constellations in the zodiac. What is the zodiac and what is special about these constellations?

Imagine a straight line drawn from Earth though the sun and out into space way beyond our solar system where the stars are. Then, picture Earth following its orbit around the sun. This imaginary line would rotate, pointing to different stars throughout one complete trip around the sun – or, one year. All the stars that lie close to the imaginary flat disk swept out by this imaginary line are said to be in the zodiac.

The constellations in the zodiac are simply the constellations that this imaginary straight line points to in its year-long journey.

A constellation is group of stars like a dot-to-dot puzzle. If you join the dots—stars, that is—and use lots of imagination, the picture would look like an object, animal, or person. For example, Orion is a group of stars that the Greeks thought looked like a giant hunter with a sword attached to his belt. Other than making a pattern in Earth’s sky, these stars may not be related at all.

The Babylonians lived over 3,000 years ago. They divided the zodiac into 12 equal parts – like cutting a pizza into 12 equal slices. They picked 12 constellations in the zodiac, one for each of the 12 “slices.” So, as Earth orbits the sun, the sun would appear to pass through each of the 12 parts of the zodiac. Since the Babylonians already had a 12-month calendar (based on the phases of the moon), each month got a slice of the zodiac all to itself.

But even according to the Babylonians’ own ancient stories, there were 13 constellations in the zodiac. So they picked one, Ophiuchus, to leave out. Even then, some of the chosen 12 didn’t fit neatly into their assigned slice of the pie and crossed over into the next one.

When the Babylonians first invented the 12 signs of zodiac, a birthday between about July 23 and August 22 meant being born under the constellation Leo. Now, 3,000 years later, the sky has shifted because Earth’s axis (North Pole) doesn’t point in quite the same direction.

The constellations are different sizes and shapes, so the sun spends different lengths of time lined up with each one. The line from Earth through the sun points to Virgo for 45 days, but it points to Scorpius for only 7 days. To make a tidy match with their 12-month calendar, the Babylonians ignored the fact that the sun actually moves through 13 constellations, not 12. Then they assigned each of those 12 constellations equal amounts of time."

Just for starters, and read what they explain about the massive differences in the distance between the various stars, that were used to make up the imaginary constellations. The ancient Babylonians would have no way of knowing about such facts of course. Read it all....

Muffled

Jesus in me
Read it all, and with an open mind.

"Some curious symbols ring the outside of the Star Finder. These symbols stand for some of the constellations in the zodiac. What is the zodiac and what is special about these constellations?

Imagine a straight line drawn from Earth though the sun and out into space way beyond our solar system where the stars are. Then, picture Earth following its orbit around the sun. This imaginary line would rotate, pointing to different stars throughout one complete trip around the sun – or, one year. All the stars that lie close to the imaginary flat disk swept out by this imaginary line are said to be in the zodiac.

The constellations in the zodiac are simply the constellations that this imaginary straight line points to in its year-long journey.

A constellation is group of stars like a dot-to-dot puzzle. If you join the dots—stars, that is—and use lots of imagination, the picture would look like an object, animal, or person. For example, Orion is a group of stars that the Greeks thought looked like a giant hunter with a sword attached to his belt. Other than making a pattern in Earth’s sky, these stars may not be related at all.

The Babylonians lived over 3,000 years ago. They divided the zodiac into 12 equal parts – like cutting a pizza into 12 equal slices. They picked 12 constellations in the zodiac, one for each of the 12 “slices.” So, as Earth orbits the sun, the sun would appear to pass through each of the 12 parts of the zodiac. Since the Babylonians already had a 12-month calendar (based on the phases of the moon), each month got a slice of the zodiac all to itself.

But even according to the Babylonians’ own ancient stories, there were 13 constellations in the zodiac. So they picked one, Ophiuchus, to leave out. Even then, some of the chosen 12 didn’t fit neatly into their assigned slice of the pie and crossed over into the next one.

When the Babylonians first invented the 12 signs of zodiac, a birthday between about July 23 and August 22 meant being born under the constellation Leo. Now, 3,000 years later, the sky has shifted because Earth’s axis (North Pole) doesn’t point in quite the same direction.

The constellations are different sizes and shapes, so the sun spends different lengths of time lined up with each one. The line from Earth through the sun points to Virgo for 45 days, but it points to Scorpius for only 7 days. To make a tidy match with their 12-month calendar, the Babylonians ignored the fact that the sun actually moves through 13 constellations, not 12. Then they assigned each of those 12 constellations equal amounts of time."

Just for starters, and read what they explain about the massive differences in the distance between the various stars, that were used to make up the imaginary constellations. The ancient Babylonians would have no way of knowing about such facts of course. Read it all....

As I said before and will repeat it. The stars don't matter.

joelr

Brahman is the ultimate God in Hinduism. They call it God sometimes. Same with the Christian God. Yahweh/God.
Does the Holy Spirit reveal things to you?

That's funny. So in the OT when it says "thus says the Lord" after re-writing Mesopotamian and Egyptian myths you find that credible?
The Upanishds are philosophical sayings. The Bhagavad Gita are revelations from Krishna.