• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the equivalent of a priest in your religion?

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove

Also, does your religion even have priest-like members? What are the differences between the responsibilities of your "priest" and that of another religion?

I'll start:

There were and are three types of "priest" in Druidry. They are the Bard, the Ovate, and the Druid.

The Bard was the poet, and the keepers of tradition and memory. They spent twelve years learning grammar, and memorizing hundreds of stories and poems (they didn't believe in writing such important things down, as it dampened the memory). During these twelve years, they also learned philosophy, and how to write, using the "Ogham" writing script. An example of a ritual where a Bard would preside would be in honouring the ancestors, though Ovates would take part if it was also for the purpose of conversing with the ancestors, over realms.[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]

The Ovates were the healers, or doctors, of the Celts. They worked with both death, and life. They conversed with the dead, propheciesed the future, and utilized tools of divination. Basically, they were the sorcerers and healers. They trained for about the same amount of time as a Bard.

Finally, the Druids. A Druid was expected to fill many roles, including that of [font=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]priests, teachers, ambassadors, astronomers, genealogists, philosophers, musicians, theologians, scientists, poets (not to a Bardic extent) and judges. For this, they trained for twenty years, though often it was longer. They were also the "wizards" of the Celts, performing feats of "magic" that differed from the Ovates. Druids could contact the spirits of other plants and animals, and, as I theorize, used this to watch Julius Caesar's armies through birds (Julius says that's what they did). In times of war, Druids often might take the role of a general.

All "priests" regardless of whether they wished to be Bards, Ovates, or Druids, were expected to learn the basics of all three classes. It may seem that they spent a lot of time in training, but much of it was akin to what we learn in school today.

So, what about you?
[/font]

Scott1

Druidus said:
A Priest.;)

The Sacrament of Holy Orders is the sacrament through which the mission entrusted by Christ to his apostles continues to be exercised in the Church until the end of time: thus it is the sacrament of apostolic ministry. It includes three degrees: episcopate (Bishop), presbyterate (Priest), and diaconate (Deacon).

Unedited

Most members fall under one of five categories.

1. First, there is the outer court. To be a member, you only have to commit to it.

2. A dedicant is someone who is training for their first degree.

3. First degree, Novice Priest/ess.

4. Second degree, Full Priest/ess.

5. Third degree, High Priest/ess.

Each degree requires at least a year and a day to complete, but often takes much longer, as few people have the free time to fully dedicate themselves to studying. There are certain, specific requirements for each, and you must go through an initiation to be a part of each (including outer court).

jewscout

Religious Zionist
we are to be a nation of priests....

the Kohanim are the priests who, G-d willing, will regain a higher position at a rebuilt Temple in Jerusalem during the Messianic era

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
In Buddhism in general, there are ordained people and lay people. For Nichiren Shu Buddhism (the tradition and school I practice) there are ordained and lay people. Ordained folk are generally referred to as ministers (since they are not celibate monastics, the usual definition of "priest"), and they can be male or female. The responsibilities of a minister vary according to their particular assignment; whether they are resident minister of a specific temple, or an assistant minister, or a scholar, etc. Their general responsibilities are to protect and teach the dharma and support the sangha.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Exactly as for the Roman Catholics in most respects, with only minor differences. I'm not sure how RCs see their clergy, but we see ours as the servants of the parish (not the masters as some low church types ignorant of Orthodoxy often assert).

James

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
a priest? brahmin of course. people belonging to the brahmin caste dont have to become priests, but some men do. anyone can become a saint i think....

DeepShadow

White Crow
It depends on what you mean. I've heard "priest" used to refer to the person who gives sermons, or the person who performs rituals and ordinances, or the person who hears confessions and gives spiritual guidance. In my church, these are all very different things, and they are shared by the congregation in different ways.

Sermons are given by a different member each week, and a given member can expect to give about one a year. Also, every adult and many teenagers have "callings" that include some kind of teaching and instruction, usually of a particular age group.

Of course, we also have a "priesthood" composed of worthy males over the age of 12 who have various roles in church ritual and service. Certain special tasks, such as baptisms, blessing the sick, and stuff like that, are delegated to members of this priesthood.

Finally, each congregation has a single priesthood leader, called a "bishop" or a "branch president," depending upon the size of the congregation. These men offer spiritual guidance, distribute church funds where they need to go, and are generally responsible for the well-being of the congregation. Bishops serve for four to eight years before another bishop is called.

timpeters

I'm an atheist, so my religion doesn't really have any priests :p I guess there's community leaders, famous people, famous writers and thinkers and stuff like that.

BruceDLimber

Greetings, all! :)

I'm a member of the Baha'i Faith, and we Baha'is have no clergy and no hierarchy whatever! (Everyone is "just a Baha'i.")

All Baha'i administrative bodies are elected to set terms by secret ballot through a non-political democratic process that has no nominations, no campaigning, and no discussion of individual personalities. And this same system is in use world wide at local through world levels....

Best,

Bruce

Master Vigil

Hmmm... Vigil of course. And anyone and everyone can achieve this "title."

(I put title in quotations because I hate that word, but its 1:10 am, and I couldn't think of a better word.)

andyjamal

servant
BruceDLimber said:
Greetings, all! :)

I'm a member of the Baha'i Faith, and we Baha'is have no clergy and no hierarchy whatever! (Everyone is "just a Baha'i.")

All Baha'i administrative bodies are elected to set terms by secret ballot through a non-political democratic process that has no nominations, no campaigning, and no discussion of individual personalities. And this same system is in use world wide at local through world levels....

Best,

Bruce
You beat me to it.
I'd like to add, though, that it is incumbent on every Baha'i to investigate truth and teach the Faith.:)

Runt

In Unitarian Universalism we have ordained ministers as well as lay ministers. Both give sermons and lead the congregation. They differ in that ordained ministers are generally far more extensively trained (they have to go to graduate school and obtain a Masters of Divinity) and are able to perform other functions--such as weddings and funerals.