• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what is the difference tween science and faith?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No one has seen proof of evolution. But religion is faith in things seen. We can see the glory of God's creation.
We have seen evolution though. Bacteria have become resistant to antibiotics. This probably isn't the best example, but an organism adapting to better suit it's environment, and these traits being passed down to future generations is evolution. Some species of fish have hind fins when they are in a hostile environment, but when this same species of fish is in an environment in which it isn't likely they will be eaten, they do not have hind fins. Even on an old episode of the Crocodile Hunter he found I think it was a species of snake that swims in fresh water, but the one he found was in salt water, or vice versa. It's been so long since I have actually seen that episode that I don't remember.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
Just the opposite. Science is faith in things unseen. No one has seen proof of evolution. But religion is faith in things seen. We can see the glory of God's creation.

Just for the sake of asking you a particular question, I will concede momentarily that 'evolution' is a malicious lie put forth by the scientific community for some purpose, though not even my active imagination could really start to envision any plausible goal in doing so.

But even if evolution were unproven as you claim, do you still honestly believe that 'religious faith' has given this world more practial, observable advancements and improvements in our lives than scientific exploration and invention?

Seriously. Be honest with us, if you can. And I don't say that to be condescending nor pedantic. I don't question whether or not you are willfully forthcoming. I just happen to know that some people are so consumed with fearful delusions of hell and heaven and pychologically-warped desires to be 'special' in the eyes of the greatest being who ever lived, God, the divine creator and engineer of the universe, that these people cannot even be honest with themselves much less with others.

So, if you would, please tell us which you think has provided more real, observable evidence of its practical work, scientific innovation or religious faith. And if it really is the latter rather than the former, please explain why that is so. Believe me, I am more than willing to grant I might be wrong in saying it is most certainly scienctific innovation that is most easily measured for its practical positive impact on humanity, if you can explain how I'm wrong in a convincing manner.

I appreciate your time and consideration in this matter.

truseeker

Wikipedia talks about the "cell theory". It says that in this SCIENTIFIC theory all cells come from existing cells. But evolution says that the first cells came from some chemical soup in a primordial swamp. So how can science have it both ways? Cells come from pre existing cells but cells came from something that was not even alive. That's how science if faith is things unseen and they twist things to suit their theories.

Amill

Apikoros
I believe that the difference is this: that faith is hope placed on things not seen and science is placing faith in things having been seen.

The common ground may be that the result of either brings much revelation.

thoughts?
One deals with demonstrable evidence.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Wikipedia talks about the "cell theory". It says that in this SCIENTIFIC theory all cells come from existing cells. But evolution says that the first cells came from some chemical soup in a primordial swamp. So how can science have it both ways? Cells come from pre existing cells but cells came from something that was not even alive. That's how science if faith is things unseen and they twist things to suit their theories.
Maybe because evolution doesn't say that the first cell came from "some chemical soup in a primordial swamp"?

You should read the rest of the article.
Cell theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
for example:
Exceptions

See also: Origin of life

1. Viruses are considered alive by some, yet they are not made up of cells. Viruses have many features of life, but by definition of the cell theory, they are not alive.
  2. The first cell did not originate from a pre-existing cell. There was no exact first cell since the definition of cell is imprecise.
  3. Mitochondria and chloroplasts have their own genetic material, and reproduce independently from the rest of the cell.

wa:do

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It was a primordial soup, so to speak, but the theory is that this chemical substance contained the appropriate chemicals to jump start life. This experiment has been repeated, successfully, so many times that it has even been featured on children's science shows, such as Bill Nye The Science Guy. And more recently an experiment has produced synthetic life from this primordial soup.
And if you look at viruses, they don't really display life as we think of it, but they do display some signs of life or not. It is actually debated whether or not a virus is a living entity or not.

Well , That was some pretty good thought provoking answers....You all know that I believe in God and the Scriptures. I also believe that science is legitimately a sure wonder and the things we've uncovered are staggering and exciting. ...When my Father worked at JPL in the 70's he was on the team of Aerospace engineers that were tasked with bringing in the first pics of mars from the Viking project-what a fascinating time! He brought some of them home and I was in love with them!. . .I love science . . .I think it is really a great thing . . .Like anything, it comes with responsibility ,I mean, we all know the horrors and great things we can do with it . . .What do you suppose would cause or effect the decisions we make about it's use?
whether to use it for good.Or for evil? Does it matter? I mean, if we are here to do as we please without any restriction to it . . I imagine it will simply just depend on How the ones who have control of it's power feel on any given day right? Based on what their own carnal self dictates ? Then the aftermath could just be explained as "we were just doing what it is in our nature to do?" Or the rewards for the "good" that was done by way of science be credited in the same manner . . .

As a Christian I perceive the same science as You do -the difference is that I ascribe the science we find to the Greater Scientist-I.E. God . . .that what we "uncover" - God Has known all the while . . .The hubble is a great example- look at some of the nebula -works of art to me!Think about how long it took just for us to even have the chance to have a glimpse at it! I think it is safe to say that God wants what even an earthbound scientist wants -Credit for His work! God states that He will not yield His glory to another! Is this so hard to understand? What if Albert Einsteins' work was attributed to another? He would throw a tantrum!
How is God different?He has feelings. He said He was a Jealous God and He would be angry if we gave glory elsewhere . . .just sayin' . . .
I would like to say also that if I were to deny science and all that it teaches (even if I actually believe it) The penalty from God would be "No Penalty" ...
but as a Christian, if I were to deny God for any reason, The penalty would be great! I would be at risk to lose imortality itself! So you see my burden don't you? I am unmovable on this . . . .as I cannot take anything from this earth with me when I die from it . . .no gold,silver,science,clothes ,house, etc. How many people in the past have taken their earthly wealth with them? answer: 0 . . . .now we know this from a few instances at least-take king tut . . .did not a man named Anthony Carter show even scientifically, that a human does not take all his precious gold with him? King Tuts stuff was all there and accounted for right? But yet those egyptians were so sure of the King taking them with him huh? just roll that around a bit and at least understand that you can safely count out the religion of the egyptians as a certain hoax-as was proven by science right? Any thoughts?

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
I believe that the difference is this: that faith is hope placed on things not seen and science is placing faith in things having been seen.

The common ground may be that the result of either brings much revelation.

thoughts?

I think science is the process of the pursuit of knowledge and understanding as guided by the hand of reason and rational thought.

Faith, in a religious sense at least, is the blind acceptance of a reality devoid of any real proof. Ironically, religious ideology being our first stab as humanity at science, philosophy, geography and general understanding of our world, a necessary first step that started us down the road that has lead to contemporary thought. As outdated as the ideas and explanations are, it persists to dominate many I believe due to its originality, and due to the fact we are imperfect being filled with fears, hopes and wishes.

Faith is therefore the retrospective conformity to age old explanations, tied up in all our plethora of emotions. A desire and belief for something that in the cold light of day, is not something that can clearly be defended on the very grounds of reason and rationality, which so defines science itself.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Well , That was some pretty good thought provoking answers....You all know that I believe in God and the Scriptures. I also believe that science is legitimately a sure wonder and the things we've uncovered are staggering and exciting. ...When my Father worked at JPL in the 70's he was on the team of Aerospace engineers that were tasked with bringing in the first pics of mars from the Viking project-what a fascinating time! He brought some of them home and I was in love with them!. . .I love science . . .I think it is really a great thing . . .Like anything, it comes with responsibility ,I mean, we all know the horrors and great things we can do with it . . .What do you suppose would cause or effect the decisions we make about it's use?
whether to use it for good.Or for evil? Does it matter? I mean, if we are here to do as we please without any restriction to it . . I imagine it will simply just depend on How the ones who have control of it's power feel on any given day right? Based on what their own carnal self dictates ? Then the aftermath could just be explained as "we were just doing what it is in our nature to do?" Or the rewards for the "good" that was done by way of science be credited in the same manner . . .

As a Christian I perceive the same science as You do -the difference is that I ascribe the science we find to the Greater Scientist-I.E. God . . .that what we "uncover" - God Has known all the while . . .The hubble is a great example- look at some of the nebula -works of art to me!Think about how long it took just for us to even have the chance to have a glimpse at it! I think it is safe to say that God wants what even an earthbound scientist wants -Credit for His work! God states that He will not yield His glory to another! Is this so hard to understand? What if Albert Einsteins' work was attributed to another? He would throw a tantrum!
How is God different?He has feelings. He said He was a Jealous God and He would be angry if we gave glory elsewhere . . .just sayin' . . .
I would like to say also that if I were to deny science and all that it teaches (even if I actually believe it) The penalty from God would be "No Penalty" ...
but as a Christian, if I were to deny God for any reason, The penalty would be great! I would be at risk to lose imortality itself! So you see my burden don't you? I am unmovable on this . . . .as I cannot take anything from this earth with me when I die from it . . .no gold,silver,science,clothes ,house, etc. How many people in the past have taken their earthly wealth with them? answer: 0 . . . .now we know this from a few instances at least-take king tut . . .did not a man named Anthony Carter show even scientifically, that a human does not take all his precious gold with him? King Tuts stuff was all there and accounted for right? But yet those egyptians were so sure of the King taking them with him huh? just roll that around a bit and at least understand that you can safely count out the religion of the egyptians as a certain hoax-as was proven by science right? Any thoughts?
I don't believe in a god that throws temper tantrums... just saying. :cool:

wa:do

bhaktajan

Science produce:
Bread, cake, juice, cheese, clothes, rapid transit, electric lights, refrigeration, heating systems etc etc.

versus,

Faith produces people that wake each day to go to work.

Without faith the demigods will be bereft of workers, to create the produce.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
PLEASE FIND THE MISSING LINK HERE.

bhaktajan

Religion is the study of the creator, Science is the study of the creation.

YEAH BABY! Great Great Great Maxim dude!

What do you do to "study the creator"?

You study the creation.

For starters, check the concept of "neti-neti" at wikipedia.

A "Who is Krishna Propagator" [aka, Krishna Consciousness Movementor],
Bhaktajan