• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the biggest thing makes me convert to Sidhism?

Eihab

Journalist
Hi,
I'm agnostic, and I don't believe in any religion, but suddenly I asked myself: what if I were in the wrong side, why don't you recognize the other religions? But it is very hard to read about all religions, so I told myself that I'm a member in this forum and I do really respect it and respect the minds of their members, so I decided to ask this question in many religion sub-forums, and who knows maybe it will be a big change in my life.
Needless to say that many religions claim they are the right and we should worship in certain way.
So, if you want me to convert to your religion, what are the things that make me convinced to be a Sikh?
Thanks.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
hi Eihab ,

i feel anyone without faith is on wrong side , being faithful is Cool ;)

ਮੰਨੇ ਕੀ ਗਤਿ ਕਹੀ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥
The state of the faithful cannot be described.

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਕਹੈ ਪਿਛੈ ਪਛੁਤਾਇ ॥
One who tries to describe this shall regret the attempt.

ਕਾਗਦਿ ਕਲਮ ਨ ਲਿਖਣਹਾਰੁ ॥
No paper, no pen, no scribe

ਮੰਨੇ ਕਾ ਬਹਿ ਕਰਨਿ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
can record the state of the faithful.

ਐਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਹੋਇ ॥
Such is the Name of the Immaculate Lord.

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਮੰਨਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਮਨਿ ਕੋਇ ॥੧੨॥
Only one who has faith comes to know such a state of mind. ||12||

xkatz

Although I am not Sikh technically, Sikhism is one of my favorite religions. I think it is a great religion because it is almost like a hybridization of Abrahamic and Dharmic beliefs. Sikh's believe in G-d (monotheism) and have a holy book (Guru Granth Sahib). However, they believe in karma, dharma, and reincarnation like other Eastern religions do. It is great because it is almost like a middle-way between the two groups of religions.

xkatz

Also, Sikhism is almost like an interfaith religion in some ways. Their holy scripture was composed by Sikhs, Muslims, and Hindus. Additionally, anyone can go into a Sikh temple (Gurdwara), and Sikhs generally see all religions/paths as an emanation of one.

Last edited:

Eihab

Journalist
it is almost like a hybridization of Abrahamic and Dharmic beliefs.
But to be honest, doesn't this hybridization give feeling that this religion not from God, it's made by human being.

xkatz

But to be honest, doesn't this hybridization give feeling that this religion not from God, it's made by human being.

Well it isn't literally a hybridization. In fact, that is one of the biggest misconception about Sikhism. I said LIKE hybridization because it does have similarities to both Abrahamic and Dharmic faiths, but is completely unique in it's beliefs. For instance, while Sikhs are monotheists, there interpretation of G-d is so liberal that Sikhism and Pantheism are completely compatible. Also, they have their own unique practices and rituals (eg baptised Sikhs have to grow out their hair and carry certain objects). Anyways, it is definitely it's own unique religion and I believe it was inspired by G-d.

Eihab

Journalist
Yes, now it's clear. but another question: what is G -d stands for?
I almost never this expression before. just in this forum "religiousforums".

xkatz

Yes, now it's clear. but another question: what is G -d stands for?
I almost never this expression before. just in this forum "religiousforums".

Many Jewish people say G-d instead of "G0d" as a sign of respect towards "G0d"

GURSIKH

chardi kla

There is " One Truth " , common between Abrahmic n Dharmic traditions and Sikhi represent that ;).

chinu

chinu
Hi,
I'm agnostic, and I don't believe in any religion, but suddenly I asked myself: what if I were in the wrong side, why don't you recognize the other religions? But it is very hard to read about all religions, so I told myself that I'm a member in this forum and I do really respect it and respect the minds of their members, so I decided to ask this question in many religion sub-forums, and who knows maybe it will be a big change in my life.
Needless to say that many religions claim they are the right and we should worship in certain way.
So, if you want me to convert to your religion, what are the things that make me convinced to be a Sikh?
Thanks.

Eihab ji,
If u want my opinion, than i will say that:
No need to convert yourself in sikhism or any religion,
According to me:
In the begaining every religions have same and true teachings, but the true teaching are changed by the peoples to fit there convinence afterwards,

So Eihab ji,
I think one should first try to understand the word "RELIGION" or truely what is ment by "RELIGION" or for what are the "RELIGIONS" for,

Well according to my very small knowledge i have started a thread on "RELIGION" with my best efforts, if you are reading in, you must read the post,

According to me:
I do not belive in "isms" or "Sikhism"
But! i belive to be a true "Sikh"
Sikh means a student or seeker.

Thankyou,

chinu.

Eihab

Journalist
Thanks
according to my very small knowledge i have started a thread on "RELIGION" with my best efforts, if you are reading in, you must read the post,
Would you please put the link for this thread. I have desire to read it.

Sikh

Eihab, speaking as a Sikh, I think you need to understand India first before you can understand if you want to follow the Sikh Dharma. For as long as Indian history has been recorded by Indians, we have called the different paths one takes towards the truth as Dharma. HIndu is word that Persians used to describe the people who lived east of the river Indus.India-Indu-Hindu-, get it?
People think that Sikhism is a mixture of Muslim and hindu beliefs--that cannot be furthest from the truth. Abraham religions think that God is like a gardener and we are in his garden. For the garden to remain beautiful we must follow his laws, laws which he has sent with his chosen messengers, be it Moses, Jesus, Mohamed etc .
In Indian Religions or as we would say Dharmas, God is not an entity--God is Truth, Truth is God, they are the same. When a person strives for Truth, he is striving towards God, he enters a state of non suffering gained by enlightenment. When a person strives in ignorance, he suffers as one would suffer in hell and causes all around him to suffer as he suffers. A lot of Dharmas in India by the time of Guru Nanak had become too ritualistic. Guru Nanak was preaching that one should strive again for truth without mistaking empty ritual for truth. One has to be completely honest in their intent towards truth, towards God, and that can only be done upon deep reflection and meditation. Lord Buddha also asked that one should strive for truth, but his truth was that life is suffering caused by attachment to ones ego and everything around ones ego, acceptance of this fact brings one closer towards enlightenment, towards truth, towards God. The reason people think that Buddhist Dharma is atheistic is because when Lord Buddha was asked about God he kept quiet. The reason he kept quiet was because when one rids oneself of ones ego, the question becomes irrelevant.
Guru Nanak in comparison states that the truth is God, that only God exits, and ones acceptance of this fact would also cause them to arrive at Moksha/enlightenment, truth. This is at its core pure Vedic. Ask any learned Brahman or priest and they will tell you the same. The only reason why Jain, Buddhists, and Sikhs are different from modern Hindus is because they feel that their respective Dharmas are open to all people, where as the Hindus feel that only those who are born into the Brahman Caste can meditate towards the truth.
I am not sure I have explained the Sikh Dharma to the best of my abilities, please ask anything if you need further clarification.