• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the biggest thing makes me convert to Hinduism?

Eihab

Journalist
Hi,
I'm agnostic, and I don't believe in any religion, but suddenly I asked myself: what if I were in the wrong side, why don't you recognize the other religions? But it is very hard to read about all religions, so I told myself that I'm a member in this forum and I do really respect it and respect the minds of their members, so I decided to ask this question in many religion sub-forums, and who knows maybe it will be a big change in my life.
Needless to say that many religions claim they are the right and we should worship in certain way.
So, if you want me to convert to your religion, what are the things that make me convinced to be a Hindu?
Thanks.

Wannabe Yogi

Hi,
I'm agnostic, and I don't believe in any religion, but suddenly I asked myself: what if I were in the wrong side, why don't you recognize the other religions? But it is very hard to read about all religions, so I told myself that I'm a member in this forum and I do really respect it and respect the minds of their members, so I decided to ask this question in many religion sub-forums, and who knows maybe it will be a big change in my life.
Needless to say that many religions claim they are the right and we should worship in certain way.
So, if you want me to convert to your religion, what are the things that make me convinced to be a Hindu?
Thanks.

I see know need for you to covert to Hinduism.

What I like about Hinduism are the following:

-It's a big tent most ideas are contained in it. It ranges from Atheism to Monotheism. It also need to be said that the firsts Atheists came out of the Hinduism.

-It tends in its very philosophical structure to be open to other philosophic ideas.

-I believe that it can be traced back to the neolithic so it grounds me in what it means to be human.

-It has with in it's teaching a methodology for the transcendence of suffering and experiencing the "TRUTH".

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
You will only be attracted to Hinduism if the core tenets feel right or make sense to you. This is a very different 'religion' to Abrahamic traditions. Generally speaking, Hinduism isn't dualistic, although there are dualistic sects. The point of life is to Realise God and Self, not to have blind belief. So this religion is a journey of discovery, which is very different to say Islam, which is all about submission and following rules.

Wessexman

It is my understanding, and I may be wrong, but it is quite hard to convert to Hinduism or at least a traditional Hinduism is it not? As a religious tradition, rather than a pure metaphysical school of thought, I believe it is bound up both with Indian culture and with the caste system. For one born outside a caste I think there are pathways, but they're not easy and some include following the path of the eremite. I certainly think you'd have to go to India.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
It is my understanding, and I may be wrong, but it is quite hard to convert to Hinduism or at least a traditional Hinduism is it not? As a religious tradition, rather than a pure metaphysical school of thought, I believe it is bound up both with Indian culture and with the caste system. For one born outside a caste I think there are pathways, but they're not easy and some include following the path of the eremite. I certainly think you'd have to go to India.

Nah, none of those things are necessary. Some Indians think you have to be born into an Indian Hindu family, but that is so wrong it's laughable. Caste system is also a cultural phenomenon, not embedded in the philosophy at all. It's a common misconception that people have, that Hinduism emphasises a caste system.

Wessexman

Well I haven't looked into it in detail, but the Hindu philosopher Ananda Coomaraswamy, who I very much admire, did argue that to be a Hindu one generally has to be born within the caste system unless one joins a very few paths that are outside this system. He was obviously quite traditionalist(like myself.).

Note I'm not someone who thinks that the caste system was an evil. In fact Coomaraswamy argues eloquently for its beneficial nature.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Well I haven't looked into it in detail, but the Hindu philosopher Ananda Coomaraswamy, who I very much admire, did argue that to be a Hindu one generally has to be born within the caste system unless one joins a very few paths that are outside this system. He was obviously quite traditionalist(like myself.).

Note I'm not someone who thinks that the caste system was an evil. In fact Coomaraswamy argues eloquently for its beneficial nature.

Caste system today is different to what is was originally. There was never any 'untouchable' class. Originally, it was more to do with genetics. A person born in the warrior caste would have a natural inclination toward fighting and politics for example.

I have not read anything from Ananda Coomaraswamy, and he may speak some wisdom, but I could never agree that it is necessary to be born into a caste system in order to be a Hindu, unless by Hindu he is referring to the original definition relating to geography rather than Sanatan Dharma. Sanatan Dharma is not limited to anybody. Vedic teachings very clearly contradict any idea that associates the individual with his material body and material circumstances.

Wessexman

I should have been more clear. He didn't say it was necessary to be a Hindu. He said it is necessary for most paths within Hinduism. There are a few paths, whose names escape me, that an outsider could join but they do seem to be rather ascetic and hard for your average, modern Westerner to cope with.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I should have been more clear. He didn't say it was necessary to be a Hindu. He said it is necessary for most paths within Hinduism. There are a few paths, whose names escape me, that an outsider could join but they do seem to be rather ascetic and hard for your average, modern Westerner to cope with.

Hmm, I guess I'd have to read what he said to comment properly on that. Are there online sources that provide his explanation of this?

Wessexman

I believe that discussion on castes was in this essay which I found two parts to online . I'm not sure if this is where he mentions the lack of opportunities for outsiders to join most paths in Hinduism in this particular essay though, which I couldn't find the end to anyway.

http://www.javidankherad.com/Articles/coomaraswamyDemocracyFreedom1.pdf
http://www.javidankherad.com/Articles/coomaraswamyDemocracyFreedom2.pdf

Some more of his essays are available online, here is a a page with access to quite a few:

Free Online Library of articles on spirituality at worldwisdom.com

Last edited:

Onkara

What is interesting about Hinduism is that it appears to have under gone societal changes yet kept its core spirituality. According to a book by the Ramakrishna Math, ancient India was matriarchal and only became patriarchal later, thus the female-mother-God was and still is an essential part, even today.

The fact that society changed implies that self-identification has also changed, as Madhuri points out about castes.

In my earlier post I stated that Sanatana Dharma removes the niggling doubt and explains the purpose of life. For me that answer is non-dual and with non-duality nature's differences give way to universal acceptance. My point is that colour of skin, nationality and birth are, by the logic of Vedanta, simply Brahman and can be overlooked in light of the summum bonum.

Last edited:

Wannabe Yogi

I believe that discussion on castes was in this essay which I found two parts to online . I'm not sure if this is where he mentions the lack of opportunities for outsiders to join most paths in Hinduism in this particular essay though, which I couldn't find the end to anyway.

Some more of his essays are available online, here is a a page with access to quite a few:

Ya but Coomaraswamy wrote almost 100 years ago. Things have changed. At that time there was only one large Hindu group in the west. The Ramakrishna Mission

Last edited:

Wannabe Yogi

I can tell you there are many different Hindu sects to choose from in the west. Frankly why would I even want to join a sect that is so caste conscience. There is a ton to choose from both in the west and in India.

Wessexman

I did qualify my comment by saying at least traditional Hinduism. Coomaraswamy was traditionalist, not only did he maintain that caste was a good thing but he would not of approved of any new sects that were not traditionalist or at least not formed around traditional Hindu metaphysics and theology and such and incorporated elements that were contrary to this, particularly from the modern West.

Wannabe Yogi

I did qualify my comment by saying at least traditional Hinduism. Coomaraswamy was traditionalist, not only did he maintain that caste was a good thing but he would not of approved of any new sects that were not traditionalist or at least not formed around traditional Hindu metaphysics and theology and such and incorporated elements that were contrary to this, particularly from the modern West.

I like Coomaraswamy and many of the traditionalist thinkers. But, some groups like the Shaktas reject or limit parts of the caste system. In the past Hinduism spread all over southern Asia to non-Indians. Hinduism has always incorporated out side ideas in to the body of Hindu thought. So not asking them to do so would be very non-Hindu.

Kuvalya_Dharmasindhu

Nondualistic Bhakta
I like Coomaraswamy and many of the traditionalist thinkers. But, some groups like the Shaktas reject or limit parts of the caste system. In the past Hinduism spread all over southern Asia to non-Indians. Hinduism has always incorporated out side ideas in to the body of Hindu thought. So not asking them to do so would be very non-Hindu.

Good point! Not to mention, through my own personal experiences: I've studied everything from Advaita to Dvaita (both extremes), adhered to Advaita (for four years), rejected Dvaita outright and found that Vishishtadvaita was the best path for me and through all of this i've never come across anything saying that i was ineligible to be a traditional Hindu just because i was born in the West (and/or out of the cast system). Even most of our Saints had/have no taste for the Caste system. Regardless of how traditional Coomaraswamy was, the judgement of one holy person doesn't outweigh that of many; nor does it outweigh the fact that our Sruti (The Veda) dont emphasize that an individual needs to be part of the Caste system in order to be a traditional adherent of Sanatana Dharma (the Eternal Law/Religion)... [And if it does i'd like to see the verse quoted...]

Hari Om!

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Eihab,

What is the biggest thing makes me convert to Hinduism?
Firstly as have mentioned in numerous times on these pages that the word Hinduism is incorrect the proper label is *sanatan Dharma*.
Sanatan Dharma is not a single path or way; it is a way of life and any way of life is a way. In fact dharma simply means laws of existence and sanatan means eternal so any way of life falls under this category and followers of any path are its followers.

So, it is a choice you have to make as whetever be your choice will be under sanatan dharma.

Love & rgds