• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the biggest/most negating contradiction in the Bible?

xxclaro

The Bible is inspired by God, and does not contradict itself. (2 Timothy 3:16,17) The supposed discreptancies people point to are most often due to misunderstanding what the Bible says. Haven't you ever been misunderstood?

How hard is it to understand that the verse in Timothy does NOT refer to the Bible? There was no "bible" as we know it when that verse was penned. If you chose to belive the Bible is the inspired word of God, that's perfectly fine,just realize there is absolutely no basis for doing so. There are many,many discrepancies in the Bible,and trying to resolve them requires mental gymnastics I'm not capable of.

Draka

Wonder Woman
So we should treat it as though it is make believe, but act upon it as though it is a reality. Is that what you are saying?

No, I'm saying that myths have a truth to them that is not physical or literal. There are meanings to them beyond being actual events that take place on this physical realm. There just might be a reason that so many myths, throughout time, are mirror images of each other. That the meanings behind them hold a reality that is just not being noticed by those who want to act like myths aren't myths and that they are to be taken literally. I'm not saying "make-believe"...I'm saying allegory makes for great communication of spiritual reality.

Danmac

No, I'm saying that myths have a truth to them that is not physical or literal. There are meanings to them beyond being actual events that take place on this physical realm. There just might be a reason that so many myths, throughout time, are mirror images of each other. That the meanings behind them hold a reality that is just not being noticed by those who want to act like myths aren't myths and that they are to be taken literally. I'm not saying "make-believe"...I'm saying allegory makes for great communication of spiritual reality.

Maybe there is a spiritual saboteur that is using myth to distract from truth. Maybe that saboteur knows that a lie must be seasoned with truth if it is to be believed. Maybe every myth has the same seasoning, because that is where the truth lies.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's my favorite, Dust:

Here are two different accounts of the same event:

2 Samuel 24

David Counts the Fighting Men

1 Again the anger of the LORD burned against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, "Go and take a census of Israel and Judah."

1 Chronicles 21

David Numbers the Fighting Men

1 Satan rose up against Israel and incited David to take a census of Israel.

The first one gives the credit to God, the second to Satan.

Danmac

Here's my favorite, Dust:

Here are two different accounts of the same event:

2 Samuel 24

1 Again the anger of the LORD burned against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, "Go and take a census of Israel and Judah."

1 Chronicles 21

David Numbers the Fighting Men

1 Satan rose up against Israel and incited David to take a census of Israel.

The first one gives the credit to God, the second to Satan.

The green light is often given to those who are bent on there own destruction.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Someone may have mentioned pi being 3 and I Kings 7:23 already, and though this isn't an example of contradictory passages, but something that's mathematically incorrect (which is fine as long as inerrancy isn't assumed), it has always fascinated me.
The Number Pi in the Bible.

Danmac

And the first pig over the fence is the one all the others land on.

What are you saying exactly? :shrug:

There is no stopping a stubborn mule that is following after the reward of Balaam so you might as well get out of his way.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
There is no stopping a stubborn mule that is following after the reward of Balaam so you might as well get out of his way.

Still not getting you.

Are you trying to tell me I shouldn't debate with you anymore?

Danmac

Still not getting you.

Are you trying to tell me I shouldn't debate with you anymore?

Not at all. I am saying that it was not God's intent for David to number Israel. David was warned not to by Joab, but he was stubborn.

2nd Sam 24: 3 And Joab said unto the king, Now the LORD thy God add unto the people, how many soever they be, an hundredfold, and that the eyes of my lord the king may see it: but why doth my lord the king delight in this thing?
4 Notwithstanding the king's word prevailed against Joab, and against the captains of the host. And Joab and the captains of the host went out from the presence of the king, to number the people of Israel.

10 ¶ And David's heart smote him after that he had numbered the people. And David said unto the LORD, I have sinned greatly in that I have done: and now, I beseech thee, O LORD, take away the iniquity of thy servant; for I have done very foolishly.

Spiritone

Just curious.

The biggest contradiction seems to be between the OT and the NT. The images of God are very different. Jesus has to communicate with people with deep beliefs and try to give them more advanced knowledge. In order to do so he had to change some beliefs that did not apply or should not apply anymore. Destined for condemnation of course. Try to advance spiritual thinking today and you can expect it.
The Gods mentioned at the very beginning and through the OT are not comparable to the God of the NT. That leads to many questions. And answers.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Maybe there is a spiritual saboteur that is using myth to distract from truth. Maybe that saboteur knows that a lie must be seasoned with truth if it is to be believed. Maybe every myth has the same seasoning, because that is where the truth lies.

A "spiritual saboteur?" As if one entity out of a whole or many is for some strange reason wanting to screw with people in general? And you don't think that sounds a little paranoid and contrived? What would be the motivation behind it? And at who or what do you want to point the finger at? You may want to join in with the other guy here and bring up the "devil", but really, isn't your own god described as a "jealous" god? A god that wants all worship and recognition for itself? If there was such a thing as a "spiritual saboteur" then the Abrahamic god fits the bill as well as any "devil" does.

If you recognize that myths are glimpses into what the Divine knowledge holds then it is entirely possible to look upon all gods and goddesses as merely aspect manifestations of that Divine. Making all gods equally possible and a window into particular meanings in both our physical and spiritual lives.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Not at all. I am saying that it was not God's intent for David to number Israel.

According to 2 Samuel 24 not only was it God's intent, it was actually His idea:

David was warned not to by Joab, but he was stubborn.

2nd Sam 24: 3 And Joab said unto the king, Now the LORD thy God add unto the people, how many soever they be, an hundredfold, and that the eyes of my lord the king may see it: but why doth my lord the king delight in this thing?
4 Notwithstanding the king's word prevailed against Joab, and against the captains of the host. And Joab and the captains of the host went out from the presence of the king, to number the people of Israel.

10 ¶ And David's heart smote him after that he had numbered the people. And David said unto the LORD, I have sinned greatly in that I have done: and now, I beseech thee, O LORD, take away the iniquity of thy servant; for I have done very foolishly.

This is just one more contradiction then: why would David ask forgiveness for doing something God told him to do? :shrug:

In any case, the passage you cited does nothing to address the original contradiction. Regardless of what happened afterwards or how David felt about it:

2 Samuel 24 says god did it,
1 Chronicles 21 says Satan did it.

Walkntune

I feel the same way. Like the Garden of Eden. Adam eats the apple, and God doesn't automatically know, until Adam tells him. Makes no sense.

Have you ever asked a child what they did wrong even though you already knew what they did wrong?

zorrow

Oh please.............the biggest thing about the bible is that we don't get it ...........it is about messed up people..........like us.........the stories whether allegory or not teach us about.........sin nature and how to have a balance life.............and how to not harm others.......due to sin nature whether you believe is God or not....is that we are messed up......screwed up people no matter our age, race or believe............please.........I like cake

rusra02

Premium Member
How hard is it to understand that the verse in Timothy does NOT refer to the Bible? There was no "bible" as we know it when that verse was penned. If you chose to belive the Bible is the inspired word of God, that's perfectly fine,just realize there is absolutely no basis for doing so. There are many,many discrepancies in the Bible,and trying to resolve them requires mental gymnastics I'm not capable of.

Your statement that there was no bible in the first century is not correct. The so-called old testament was complete and accepted as "all scripture". It is true the christian scriptures were being penned during that time, under inspiration from God. The Bible canon was completed and accepted by the end of the first century.
(2 Peter 3:16) A book written over 1600 years with 40+ writers and yet completely harmonious in its theme and teachings. Only the Bible can make that claim. For those willing to search for wisdom, any supposed discrepancies can be understood.

Just_me_Mike

No, I don't have an interest in these contradictions beyond the surface opinion; I'm not going to research the validity of contradiction - if I was, the OP would have been worded vastly differently. I'm not interested in rereading the Bible to find out how invalid the contradiction may be. If you have proof that it is not a contradiction, then simply provide the evidence that suggests otherwise; if not, than don't comment.
Dustin, what is with the tone here? You start a thread inquiring about this specific subject. If you didn't start the thread to go beyond the surface opinion, why in the hell would you make the thread anyways?

I don't know your motives, but for someone as intelligent as you appear to be, this is a dumb thread, and your reply to me is even more so. I don't get it :shrug:

Your last sentence asks me if I have proof to present it, but if I don't, than I am not to comment.

Gee let's think about that one. You are asking for proof about a God that is not provable, yet you say don't comment if I can't prove the supposed writing from an unprovable God are real and not contradictory. Why even ask about the contradictions if no one can even prove God exists first? If no one can even prove that, than isn't this just a waste of time, what you are doing here?