• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the biggest/most negating contradiction in the Bible?

Danmac

I have answered this 6 ways from Sunday and am still wondering what it has to do with a god that is NOT HUMAN.
My God is human. His name is Jesus. And no you haven't given me a direct answer only hypothetical s.

And if your god has these vindictive emotions it is so well known for, and how it responds to these emotions are to be taken into account, then I believe it is quite obvious that the major concern is how petty, cruel, immature, and vengeful that god is. It is of the biggest concern then, to not have anything to do with said excuse for a god.
Are you telling me that injustices should go unavenged. And if they are to be avenged who do you suggest should avenge them?

Good luck on your bet.
If your right neither one of us has anything to lose. If I'm right I still don't have anything to lose, but you do. My bet seems a little more sure.

All gods and goddesses have myths attached to them. I just have no problem in seeing that. You, however, seem to have an issue with seeing the stories surrounding your particular god as the myths that they are.

My God lived on the earth and people wrote about him. That is a bit more tangible than the three horned god.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
My God is human. His name is Jesus. And no you haven't given me a direct answer only hypothetical s.

Are you telling me that injustices should go unavenged. And if they are to be avenged who do you suggest should avenge them?
Well if that's the kind of God you worship, He's certainly a limited, puny, vindictive excuse for a deity.

If your right neither one of us has anything to lose. If I'm right I still don't have anything to lose, but you do. My bet seems a little more sure.
Actually, no. If you're wrong, and failed to worship Allah, you are condemned to the eternal flame. So you and your friend Pascal are both wrong.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Except a lifetime.
I was thinking the same thing - all you have to give up is all you have.

BTW, Danmac: have you heard of the British Lottery scam? It uses the exact same logic as Pascal's Wager, so it might be the sort of thing you'd go for.

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
Have you ever asked a child what they did wrong even though you already knew what they did wrong?

I have asked a child that. I haven't however cursed them for all eternity, I never gave them pain, I did not curse the ground they stood on, and I didn't promise them Death.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I have said:
Depends on the type of relationship they have. Does he sleep around? Do they have an open relationship? If the answer to both these questions is "no", then perhaps he has some cause to feel that way, but really, jealousy is a useless emotion that only causes pain and destructive tendencies. Again, though, you and I are humans. A god is not. A god is suppose to be beyond human. If a god is beset with vindictive hurtful emotions then why would one want to worship that god, or even consider them a god?

What ever happen to the "Father"? You worship Jesus? A man? A man that might not have even existed, and if he did exist, a man whose stories about him most likely GREATLY exceed the actual reality of his life? You worship a legend?

First off, what you perceive as "injustices" may be a far cry from what others perceive as "injustices" and again I have to wonder how it is determined whose "rules" to play by.

Second, we have a justice system in place for criminal acts and there are prisons and even death penalties in some places. Are they not good enough for you? And if you only want to deal with "spiritual" or personal (non-criminal) injustices, then there is always karma. We take care of that balance ourselves and the Divine flow in the universe keeps its checks and balances. Why should we need some abusive scary vindictive parental figure screaming at us and grounding us for all eternity?

Okie dokie Pascal.

My God lived on the earth and people wrote about him. That is a bit more tangible than the three horned god.
People wrote about Hercules, Ra, Osiris, Pan, and many others as well as though they were real and on earth. Why is yours any more tangible than any other? Just because a church decided to sit down in a council and decide what would be all bound up in a book and taken as "fact"? Oh, and who is the "three horned god"?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
That depends on your interpretation of "justice" If you shut off your brain sure God's law seems just. A few years on earth of blind devotion parroting the scriptures for eternal paradise. But when you stop to think about it he created the rules and the definition of justice, how is that fair?

I think the God you defined is evil from a human perspective. I believe humanity has the potential to become better than God, if the literal Yahweh of the bible does exist He seems extremely limiting.
Ummmm, my brain takes me to Merriam-Webster.com
Main Entry: jus·tice
Pronunciation: \ˈjəs-təs\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French justise, from Latin justitia, from justus
Date: 12th century
1 a : the maintenance or administration of what is just especially by the impartial adjustment of conflicting claims or the assignment of merited rewards or punishments b : judge c : the administration of law; especially : the establishment or determination of rights according to the rules of law or equity
2 a : the quality of being just, impartial, or fair b (1) : the principle or ideal of just dealing or right action (2) : conformity to this principle or ideal : righteousness c : the quality of conforming to law
3 : conformity to truth, fact, or reason : correctness

Perhaps you need to find another term.

no-body

Ummmm, my brain takes me to Merriam-Webster.com
Main Entry: jus·tice
Pronunciation: \ˈjəs-təs\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French justise, from Latin justitia, from justus
Date: 12th century
1 a : the maintenance or administration of what is just especially by the impartial adjustment of conflicting claims or the assignment of merited rewards or punishments b : judge c : the administration of law; especially : the establishment or determination of rights according to the rules of law or equity
2 a : the quality of being just, impartial, or fair b (1) : the principle or ideal of just dealing or right action (2) : conformity to this principle or ideal : righteousness c : the quality of conforming to law
3 : conformity to truth, fact, or reason : correctness

Perhaps you need to find another term.

You can quibble semantics all you like. Calling it just doesn't mean it's just.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
You can quibble semantics all you like. Calling it just doesn't mean it's just.
Relanguaging doesn't make a valid point either. Quibbling over the meaning of words is paramount to effective communication. Using slurs outside of their meanings because you don't like something or someone is childish and disengenuous. Grow up.

Last edited:

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
He's human, isn't he? He was sacrificed under the law, wasn't he? "The lamb of God who comes to take away the sins of the world" and all that.

Torture of an innocent man under the rules set up by God in the first place.
To adequately answer this I'll need more time than I have today. It involves smbology in the law that pointed to Christ's beibng the ultimate scapegoat, kinsman redeemer, blah blah blah. I'll try and get the info over the weekend.

no-body

Relanguaging doesn't make a valid point either. Quibbling over the meaning of words is paramount to effective communication. Using slurs outside of their meanings because you don't like something or someone is childish and disengenuous. Grow up.

OK then I find Gods merit as a Judge lacking and his self appointed rules unfair. Is that more to your liking? You still haven't discussed why your God is not basically selfish and evil since He killed himself for himself so he could have worshipers.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
To adequately answer this I'll need more time than I have today. It involves smbology in the law that pointed to Christ's beibng the ultimate scapegoat, kinsman redeemer, blah blah blah. I'll try and get the info over the weekend.
Sounds good.

In case I wasn't clear before, my point was just that when you take "Christ was a sacrifice" and "Christ is fully human (as well as being fully God)" together, what you end up with is "Christ was a human sacrifice": he's human, and he was a sacrifice, therefore he was a human sacrifice.

Danmac

Well if that's the kind of God you worship, He's certainly a limited, puny, vindictive excuse for a deity.
So you want others to get by with it when they wrong you? Somebody needs to keep the scorecard.

{quote] Actually, no. If you're wrong, and failed to worship Allah, you are condemned to the eternal flame. So you and your friend Pascal are both wrong.[/quote]
That is why it is important to study religions before you dismiss them.

Danmac

I have said:
Depends on the type of relationship they have. Does he sleep around? Do they have an open relationship? If the answer to both these questions is "no", then perhaps he has some cause to feel that way, but really, jealousy is a useless emotion that only causes pain and destructive tendencies. Again, though, you and I are humans. A god is not. A god is suppose to be beyond human. If a god is beset with vindictive hurtful emotions then why would one want to worship that god, or even consider them a god?
Well if he has just cause to feel that way why do you condemn God for being a jealous God if indeed he has cause to feel that way?

What ever happen to the "Father"? You worship Jesus? A man?
Because that is what the father wants
Joh 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

A man that might not have even existed, and if he did exist, a man whose stories about him most likely GREATLY exceed the actual reality of his life? You worship a legend?
This is all opinion and you can back none of it up with historical accounts. If you can do you care to produce them? There are historical accounts that say Jesus existed.

First off, what you perceive as "injustices" may be a far cry from what others perceive as "injustices" and again I have to wonder how it is determined whose "rules" to play by.
How about the golden rule? That is God's law.

Second, we have a justice system in place for criminal acts and there are prisons and even death penalties in some places. Are they not good enough for you?
They are quite sufficient.

And if you only want to deal with "spiritual" or personal (non-criminal) injustices, then there is always karma.
Are you suggesting that there is a natural law that balances all injustices? If so who or what set that law in motion?
We take care of that balance ourselves and the Divine flow in the universe keeps its checks and balances. Why should we need some abusive scary vindictive parental figure screaming at us and grounding us for all eternity?
He's not screaming. He suffered death and hell so you wouldn't have to. That is if you accept his offer.

People wrote about Hercules, Ra, Osiris, Pan, and many others as well as though they were real and on earth. Why is yours any more tangible than any other? Just because a church decided to sit down in a council and decide what would be all bound up in a book and taken as "fact"? Oh, and who is the "three horned god"?

New testament is eye witness accounts. And you should know who the three horned god is.

Danmac

Which parts, exactly? All the Gospels talk about things that no eyewitness could have seen, and the Gospel of Luke explicitly states that it's not an eyewitness account.

That seems to contradict scripture.

Luke1:1 ¶ Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us,
2 Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;
3 It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,
4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Acts 1:1 ¶ The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,
2 Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen:
3 To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:

Acts 1:21 Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,
22 Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.

John15:27 And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

Lu 24:48;
Ac 1:8; 2:32; 3:15; 4:20,33; 5:32; 10:39; 13:31;
1Pe 5:1;
2Pe 1:16;
1Jo 1:1-2