• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Alt-Right?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I am seeing this term tossed around a lot and when I try to research it, it is some of the most vile, racist crap I have ever read. I don't get it, what is this, exactly?

निताइ dasa

Nitai's servant's servant
Yes, the alt-right believe that it is race itself (whiteness) that is intrinsically valuable and should be preserved and that achievements of Western Culture are due to the race (so White Nationalists). They also believe, I think, that culture arises from race. I think its a pretty illogical philosophy but its quite vague and I actually have not seen a proper definition of it since it exists virtually online. I know that Breitbart wrote a long (yet controversial) article covering it which you can read if you want a further definition.

Last edited:
Think it brings up a menu of some kind on Windows 10.

Edit: I actually tried it and it is the same as clicking 'forward' in your browser history. So, wait for it.... it is actually progressive :D

*Sorry, I'll get my coat...*

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's a misnomer.
It's not so much the alten Reich, but the neues Reich -- though the confusion is understandable.

Kirran

Premium Member
Just to add to what's been said - it's not really an organisation or a defined movement. It's more of a label for a social phenomenon. Mostly exonymous.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Strange how a couple people defending the alt rights champion, Steve Bannon, in other threads are now saying negative things about the alt right.

Kirran

Premium Member
The defacto alt-right manifesto if your interested to read their perspective. :)

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/03/29/an-establishment-conservatives-guide-to-the-alt-right/

A very interesting article. Thanks Laika.

Some of the claims seems somewhat unsubstantiated (e.g. the alt-right is composed of very intelligent people) but this is only to be expected when one considers the source. It's good to see it from a perspective close to its own, rather than from some progressive echo chamber.

suncowiam

Alt-right supports you know who.

Trump needs to fix this part of his presidency. I'm willing to give him a chance, but this hate thing needs to be cleaned up.

In a way, I do support whites standing up for themselves. I do believe we place an unfair double standard on them. Minorities can celebrate certain things while we assume whites cannot without the assumption of racism. I just don't support any rhetoric of any race being superior than another.

निताइ dasa

Strange how a couple people defending the alt rights champion, Steve Bannon, in other threads are now saying negative things about the alt right.

I assume you are referring to me? There is really no need to be passive aggressive. I am really happy to talk this through. I was never really defending Steve Bannon (I didn't even know him before yesterday), but merely ascertaining whether your accusations of white supremacy towards him were warranted or not. I found them wanting. For your information I completely disagree with the alt-right and its ideologies of white separation.

Last edited:

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Alt-right supports you know who.

Trump needs to fix this part of his presidency. I'm willing to give him a chance, but this hate thing needs to be cleaned up.

In a way, I do support whites standing up for themselves. I do believe we place an unfair double standard on them. Minorities can celebrate certain things while we assume whites cannot without the assumption of racism. I just don't support any rhetoric of any race being superior than another.

Just because extremist groups say they support Trump (they too have the freedom of speech) does not mean that Trump supports them.

suncowiam

Just because extremist groups say they support Trump (they too have the freedom of speech) does not mean that Trump supports them.

Well, the second part isn't clear. I can quote him easily to paint a picture that is similar to these racists. Not to mention I can add sexism in there with Trump.

He needs to come out and be very clear on his messaging.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Dasa, Steve Bannon is the spokesman for the alt right, didn't you realize that??

Kirran

Premium Member
I am somewhat baffled by this certainty found among the alt-right and related groups that "Anti-Europeanism" is widely taught in schools. What does that mean? I haven't come across it.

But I think it's a very good point that a lot of the alt-right aren't really in it for ideology, they're in it because they've identified with something and because they enjoy being subversive. This of course means actual argument isn't going to convince many people out of it, because it's about who they feel they are more than what they believe.

This is probably true for many in the far-left and in the progressive camp more broadly as well. I like to think personally that I could be reasoned to a different point of view if it made sense.

Laika

Premium Member
I am somewhat baffled by this certainty found among the alt-right and related groups that "Anti-Europeanism" is widely taught in schools. What does that mean? I haven't come across it.

But I think it's a very good point that a lot of the alt-right aren't really in it for ideology, they're in it because they've identified with something and because they enjoy being subversive. This of course means actual argument isn't going to convince many people out of it, because it's about who they feel they are more than what they believe.

This is probably true for many in the far-left and in the progressive camp more broadly as well. I like to think personally that I could be reasoned to a different point of view if it made sense.

Anti-europeanism generally means "white guilt". E.g. Teaching people about slavery in the US.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_guilt

निताइ dasa

Steve Bannon is the spokesman for the alt right, didn't you realize that??

I wouldn't call him a spokesperson (when there is no statement with alt right ideas from Bannon). The only connection between Bannon and the Alt right, I have found is the article that @Laika ji posted. Breitbart is certainly a platform (and the only platform I've read) where the views of the alt right are discussed, but that is not always the same as supporting. In Journalism, you can cover a point of view without agreeing or disagreeing with it. That is what honest journalism is. While I'm not going to argue the article is objective or honest, I don't see how it supports or agrees with alt right ideas. And I find it even harder to believe that magically Bannon now supports these ideas. It simply examines the reasons and the circumstances in which such a racially motivated group such as the alt right could have arisen.

Lyndon

Premium Member
You're in denial about Bannon, I'm sure more of his alt right views will come out, his whole website is a conduit for alt right philosophy, you actually believe that is not his idea????