• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is spirituality?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
From a different OP discussion i was a part of the question "what is spirituality"

As many before me, I could not give a direct answer even i am spiritual :oops:
A bit of Youtubing gave result and now you too can have a deeper understanding of spirituality

Any thoughts?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
From a different OP discussion i was a part of the question "what is spirituality"

A bit of Youtubing gave result and now you too can have a deeper understanding of spirituality

Any thoughts?

To me, spirituality is really just a way we feel and think. If something makes us feel good intellectually or emotionally, or even better, makes us feel good and at peace in both areas, then that is spirituality.

The opposite would be engaging in activities that deprives us of this peace.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I think the definition of spirituality depends a lot on the frame of reference of the questioner. For example, in Christianity, if you ask a monk and a Christian New Age fan who is interested in angels what they mean by "spirituality", they will probably give you completely different answers, which may be mutually exclusive, and they might even insist that each other's way is not "spiritual" but "wrong".

As for my personal opinion, I think that the innermost of the divine is (or at least should remain) beyond expression, that the core of all spiritual seeking is the same in all religions, and that one should adopt a "live and let live approach".

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
I view both spirituality and physicality as interpretations derived from two different perspectives applied on the experience of being.

In this context, perspectives and interpretations are not individual, but collective. For we are “taught” to understand what is experienced in a particular way; namely, that which best protects the experience of us as physical beings.

From an evolutionary point of view, it makes sense that we be conditioned to understand experience in this manner. After all, without any physical consideration, we’d cease to physically exist and would no longer be able to - or, as one of faith would say: need to - communicate our interpretations (physically).

Atheists would put it this way: they who do not take into account their physical being, will die out; leaving only others and their perspectives available to (continue to) evolve.

To many, that suggests that physicality is, if not “reality” full-stop, then, at least the most important “version of” it.

Yet, if you are of faith, you may word the whole thing differently and say that they who do not take into account their spiritual being, will remain stuck in a physical perspective, where evolution and physical survival are the only goals, but not the only needs.

Why is this a dilemma also to atheists? Because while physical survival, from a purely spiritual perspective on being, has no true relevance; what is required for physical survival (at the time) is not in harmony with what is needed for emotional well-being and, from a purely physical perspective on being, well-being still matters.

Humbly
Hermit

idea

Question Everything
For me, and I am one who identifies as SBNR, spiritual but not religious, spirituality is finding peace and connections through practical, applied heuristic methodologies rather than theoretical unrealistic dogma.

Applied: put to practical use as opposed to being theoretical. Not about "believing" something, about "being" - action, creating, be-ing.

adjective
adjective: heuristic
  1. enabling someone to discover or learn something for themselves.
    "a “hands-on” or interactive heuristic approach to learning"
    • COMPUTING
      proceeding to a solution by trial and error or by rules that are only loosely defined.

I believe own values, respect others, and am always ready to learn and change beliefs. "I know what I believe in and what I think is valid, others may think differently and I'm prepared to, and have, reconsidered my views"

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
It's a very vague word in my experience, and not much use without an explanation by the user.
Possibly relating to "spirit", rather than to mind and body. Possibly relating to something bigger or deeper than the individual. Possibly relating to experience which is difficult to articulate or quantify.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Spirituality as a definition is very broad. The 9-11 hijackers considered themselves doing God's will, thus following a spiritual path. After all, if a person is willing to die for their spiritual belief they must be damn certain they are correct. How many believers here are willing to die for what you think is the spiritual truth? Or do you balance your beliefs with thinking and pondering?

To my mind spirituality is a set of practices that help a human attain balance. This includes intellectual balance, psychical balance, and emotional balance. The collection of these balances is spiritual balance.

Religious practices can help a person find a peace of mind, but they would have to balance that practice with intellectual work. A theist can get their science right and still follow religious practices, so long as they don't allow certain religious dogmas to sabotage what they can understand about the universe via science.

And of course there is the physical, which can be any sort of exercises. Yoga is a common type of exercise that has a lot of benefits.

Many theists will claim their dogma is spiritual. But if what they describe is little more than a head full of irrational concepts, where the mind is little more than a dedicated agent to an ideology, then it is the antithesis to balance and spirituality. Being an empty ghost that dedicates intellect and meaning to a rigid dogma is self-sabotage. It is appealing to some folks as it is an easy path. But it doesn't allow the self any challenge in life intellectual or morally.

Eyes to See

Greetings Seeker of White Light.

Spirituality is a deep desire and willingness to serve God and adopt his way of thinking on things. So a person who is spiritual strives to live in harmony with the values of God and listens to the direction of the holy spirit.

The Bible talks about a spiritual person vs a physical person. In 1 Corinthians 2:14-16 it says that a physical person rejects the things of the spirit of God, unlike a spiritual person. It contrasts the attitudes of spiritual people to that of physical who it says are prone to "jealousy and strife" rather than generosity and peace. (1 Corinthians 3:1-3).

We have an innate ability to be spiritual because we are created in God's image. We are able to appreciate qualities of God and display these such as peace, mercy, impartiality.

Some people say they can find spirituality without religion and some say that you can be a spiritual person in any religion you chose. But the Bible shows that to be a spiritual person you must worship God the way he approves. In Ephesians 4:1-4 we are told that there is only one way and baptism to salvation. God's "one spirit' his holy spirit moves his followers to worship him in unity, in oneness, and the way he so desires.

While some think that spirituality includes any path to self fulfillment or achieving your full potential the Bible refers to spirituality as a way of life guided by God and his way of thinking. A spiritual person thus recognizes Jehovah God as their Creator and lives in harmony with his will. (Psalm 1o0:3).

Some think that any connection to the spirit realm is spirituality, including occultism and spiritualism. But spiritsm actually gets a person in contact with Satan and his wicked demons who are in opposition to Jehovah God and his holy spirit.

Scriptures to study and ponder over about cultivating spirituality and its benefits in our life: Matthew 5:3. Galatians 5:22-23. Galatians 6:8. 2 Timothy 3:16.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Greetings Seeker of White Light.

Spirituality is a deep desire and willingness to serve God and adopt his way of thinking on things. So a person who is spiritual strives to live in harmony with the values of God and listens to the direction of the holy spirit.

The Bible talks about a spiritual person vs a physical person. In 1 Corinthians 2:14-16 it says that a physical person rejects the things of the spirit of God, unlike a spiritual person. It contrasts the attitudes of spiritual people to that of physical who it says are prone to "jealousy and strife" rather than generosity and peace. (1 Corinthians 3:1-3).

We have an innate ability to be spiritual because we are created in God's image. We are able to appreciate qualities of God and display these such as peace, mercy, impartiality.

Some people say they can find spirituality without religion and some say that you can be a spiritual person in any religion you chose. But the Bible shows that to be a spiritual person you must worship God the way he approves. In Ephesians 4:1-4 we are told that there is only one way and baptism to salvation. God's "one spirit' his holy spirit moves his followers to worship him in unity, in oneness, and the way he so desires.

While some think that spirituality includes any path to self fulfillment or achieving your full potential the Bible refers to spirituality as a way of life guided by God and his way of thinking. A spiritual person thus recognizes Jehovah God as their Creator and lives in harmony with his will. (Psalm 1o0:3).

Some think that any connection to the spirit realm is spirituality, including occultism and spiritualism. But spiritsm actually gets a person in contact with Satan and his wicked demons who are in opposition to Jehovah God and his holy spirit.

Scriptures to study and ponder over about cultivating spirituality and its benefits in our life: Matthew 5:3. Galatians 5:22-23. Galatians 6:8. 2 Timothy 3:16.
Certain aspect of some Spiritual practices can get in touch with darker energy, that is true. But most of those who practice the dark teaching are aware of it, and know about the risk. I do not know enough about the left hand paths to speak for them :)

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Any thoughts?

mental state. its more practical than woo woo.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Spirituality is just a state of mind. An ideal that can be embraced on a personal eclectic level.

I like to call it the 'flavor' of things.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
First a minor point. I know personally that the video's comment about psychedelics as a spiritual technique is utterly and completely wrong. It gives the illusion of something spiritual but not the reality.

A bigger point - the video is all about the mind but ignores the heart. His reductionist statement that spirituality is philosophy is something opposite to my belief and experience. His statement that the apparent material world is just a mirage is central to the concept of Maya, something the speaker apparently does not know. His statement "real spiritual people...are on their own" is also not correct. We have gurus, murshids, sheiks and others who can offer help if and when we need that guidance.

It's not that I disagree with him totally. He presents important ideas such as the "whom am I" and other thoughts. And I agree with the part about thinking deeply.

To me spirituality is about developing the "heart" which involves intuition and inspiration, embracing a feeling of oneness and about action as well to put one's understanding into practice.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
First a minor point. I know personally that the video's comment about psychedelics as a spiritual technique is utterly and completely wrong. It gives the illusion of something spiritual but not the reality.

A bigger point - the video is all about the mind but ignores the heart. His reductionist statement that spirituality is philosophy is something opposite to my belief and experience. His statement that the apparent material world is just a mirage is central to the concept of Maya, something the speaker apparently does not know. His statement "real spiritual people...are on their own" is also not correct. We have gurus, murshids, sheiks and others who can offer help if and when we need that guidance.

It's not that I disagree with him totally. He presents important ideas such as the "whom am I" and other thoughts. And I agree with the part about thinking deeply.

To me spirituality is about developing the "heart" which involves intuition and inspiration, embracing a feeling of oneness and about action as well to put one's understanding into practice.
I agree with you that the video should have spoabout the heart when it comes to spirituality:)

PearlSeeker

"Spirituality" comes from word "spirit" - the non-physical part of a person. So it means concern with spiritual needs.

This expressed in some sayings in the Bible:

"Man does not live on bread alone."

"I came that you may have life, and may have it abundantly."

And He [Jesus] said to His disciples, "For this reason I tell you, do not worry about your life, as to what you are to eat; nor for your body, as to what you are to wear. For life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing."

PearlSeeker

In (transpersonal) psychology the highest level of needs (related to spirituality) is called self-transcendence.

F1fan

Veteran Member
"Spirituality" comes from word "spirit" - the non-physical part of a person. So it means concern with spiritual needs.

This expressed in some sayings in the Bible:

"Man does not live on bread alone."

"I came that you may have life, and may have it abundantly."

And He [Jesus] said to His disciples, "For this reason I tell you, do not worry about your life, as to what you are to eat; nor for your body, as to what you are to wear. For life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing."
There is no known or confirmed "non-physical part" of a person. At best this idea is a metaphor for something that IS real. Your thoughts.