• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Spiritual?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
the letter of the law, vs. the "spirit" of the law... do laws have spirits?
spirited away - a crushed spirit - "that's the spirit" - spirit week - spirit animals -
quite a lot of things we like to use the word "spirit" for...

Yes, in the English language the word 'spirit ' has more than one meaning.
School spirit, high-spirited horse for example besides a spirit ghost person.

Way back in the 1800's it was Noah Webster who knew to replace the words ' holy ghost ' with ' holy spirit ' because God's spirit is Not a holy apparition or a holy spook.

By KJV choosing the word 'ghost' then people understand different from the original language meaning of an impersonal spirit. God's spirit is neuter "it" at Numbers 11:17,25.
So, to me, even today we can refer to a car or a ship as a 'she' although 'it' always remains as a neuter "it".
So, the truth sets us free from what is false. God's spirit is Not a spirit person, but a force that God uses as He puts "it" upon someone.- Psalms 104:30; Acts of the Apostles 4:8; Acts of the Apostles 9:17 B; Acts of the Apostles 11:24

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
This is my reading of the text as well. Although I hold no esteem for it (the book) beyond it's sparse pearls! Thanks for sharing your views.

Jesus also gave us an illustration or parable about a merchant seeking pearls - Matthew 13:45-46; Luke 14:33.
Pearls are precious, however Not all pearls are of fine quality, so those sparse pearls would be of more value.
Because the merchant appreciated the sparse pearl's value he was willing to do all that was needed to acquire it.
Perhaps we can say that the teachings of Jesus are like that sparse pearl. So, in that case, one should be willing to do what one can do to acquire more understanding and knowledge about Jesus' pearls of wisdom for us.
- Philippians 3:8

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Its funny when a person claims to be 'spiritual.' Generally speaking these people talk the walk but don't but don't walk the walk ! I think it wise to not make such a claim and find or start a new project.
Obviously for forums we need to verbalize our beliefs and disagreements via our keyboard.

The trend in today's diverse free-religious market place, or melting pot, often has people disengaged since the religious landscape changes or shifts today. Some do Not want to be affiliated with religion, but rather instead affiliated with being a new-style person inside. Thus, being considered as a spiritual person but Not religious. Considering spiritual as to talk the talk but not walk the walk, or, being transformed, or a transformation, to pick from a long list of environmental issues (a form of new-age Earth Day worship), health issues, etc. to find or start such new projects which are too BIG for mankind to solve.
To me, Jesus was considered as both spiritual and religious as he walked the walk - Luke 4:43
So, Jesus left us as a model, or an example, for spiritual/religious people to follow.
However, we are forewarned that MANY would come in Jesus' name but prove false - Matthew 7:21-23.
In other words, MANY would be 'talking the talk' instead of walking the Christian walk or path - Matthew 7:13

Milton Platt

What does it mean to be spiritual; if not mental?

Is not Spiritual a state of mind vs a materialistic, or worldly mind?

I cannot seem to ask any two people in a row and get a consistent definition of spiritual. It seems mean so many different things, it has lost all meaning, really.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Is not Spiritual a state of mind vs a materialistic, or worldly mind?
The mind is a physical construct that can be altered via frequency vibration.
NIMH » Brain Stimulation Therapies
Anguish and despair is equal to physical pain, it is more than a the immaterial construct we have in our head that goes away at death or altered due to various types of memory impairment.
Scientists Say Emotional Pain Has Neurological Basis
The different types of memory disorders | Daily Mail Online

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The mind is a physical construct that can be altered via frequency vibration.
NIMH » Brain Stimulation Therapies
Anguish and despair is equal to physical pain, it is more than a the immaterial construct we have in our head that goes away at death or altered due to various types of memory impairment.
Scientists Say Emotional Pain Has Neurological Basis
The different types of memory disorders | Daily Mail Online

from your scientist say.............

looks like the mind is the cause of the pain, given the statement "pain that stems from extreme moods"............. mind over matter?

Research in brain stem pathway activity suggests that there is a "neurological basis for pain that stems from extreme moods," said Professor Gal Richter-Levin, head of the University of Haifa Forum for Brain and Behavior.

electromagnetic waves makeup everything and neurology relates to the nervous system; which can pickup electromagnetic waves apart from self.

case in point: music can be used as a therapy

What is Music Therapy | What is Music Therapy? | American Music Therapy Association (AMTA)

How Music Therapy Helps Heal Brain Injury Victims - Brain Injury Society

How Music Helps to Heal the Injured Brain: Therapeutic Use Crescendos Thanks to Advances in Brain Science

noise pollution can cause illness

Last edited: