• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is sexually immoral?

So you think prostitution, in this sense, is referring to literal prostitution like today? Selling their bodies for money? Is that right?

Like today, no, but like in Roman's early history where prostitution was the way pagan temples brought in money, yes. Does it mean anything but prostitution, not in my book.

You need to show me that prostitution meant anything else in early Roman history, in Judaism then and by the Greek translations. If you cannot then we remain apart in our beliefs. You depending on your Christian indoctrination and me question my indoctrination. Either way, it leaves Christianity a mixed bag of perceptions.

Kidnappers in the holy scriptures means enslavers or men stealers.

#0405 G0435 and G4228; TDNT - n/a; n m

—Greek Word Study (Transliteration-Pronunciation Etymology & Grammar)
1) a slave-dealer, kidnapper, man-stealer
1a) of one who unjustly reduces free men to slavery
1b) of one who steals the slaves of others and sells them

full

This passage never mentions selling kids for the purpose of temple prostitution.

13 The word “ransom” is often used when there is a kidnapping. After a kidnapper captures a person, he may say he will return the person if a certain amount of money is paid as a ransom. So a ransom is something that brings the deliverance of a person held captive. It is something that is paid so that he does not lose his life. Jesus’ perfect human life was given to obtain mankind’s release from bondage to sin and death. (1 Peter 1:18, 19; Ephesians 1:7) Why was such a release needed?

WOL

23 One’s person was considered inviolable. Kidnapping was a capital crime. The kidnapper in whose hand the person was found or who had sold the kidnapped one into slavery was to be put to death without fail.—Exodus 21:16; Deuteronomy 24:7.

Exodus 21:16 “If anyone kidnaps a man and sells him or is caught holding him, he must be put to death.

Deuteronomy 24:7 “If someone is found to have kidnapped one of his Israelite brothers and he has mistreated him and sold him, the kidnapper must die. You should remove what is bad from your midst.

WOL

“* [6:9] The Greek word translated as boy prostitutes may refer to catamites, i.e., boys or young men who were kept for purposes of prostitution, a practice not uncommon in the Greco-Roman world. In Greek mythology this was the function of Ganymede, the “cupbearer of the gods,” whose Latin name was Catamitus. The term translated sodomites refers to adult males who indulged in homosexual practices with such boys. See similar condemnations of such practices in Rom 1:2627; 1 Tm 1:10.”

scripture

1 Corinthian 6: 18;

18Avoid immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the immoral person sins against his own body.*

scripture

ff: “1, 8-11; Those responsible for the empty surmises which are to be suppressed by Timothy do not present the Old Testament from the Christian viewpoint. The Christian values the Old Testament, not as a system of law, but as the first stage in God's revelation of his saving plan, which is brought to fulfillment in the good news of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.” NAB1970, p. 1320.

The footnote 1, 8-12 exemplifies the New Law: "as the first stage in God's revelation of his saving plan." What is sin? What is in your heart? What is it that Genesis 1: 27 tells us about God's image? 1: 27 is the key to understanding all scriptures. Miss this truth and you get all the rest wrong. I always say, they did not get it then (OT) and they don't get it now (NT). If you understand Jesus you understand Genesis 1: 27. Then you get it.
ff: “1, 8-11; Those responsible for the empty surmises which are to be suppressed by Timothy do not present the Old Testament from the Christian viewpoint. The Christian values the Old Testament, not as a system of law, but as the first stage in God's revelation of his saving plan, which is brought to fulfillment in the good news of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.” NAB1970, p. 1320.

I do not fail to realize anything and I do not ignore anything.

If you do not choose to ignore anything then why do you insist that "sexual immorality" is a catch all term for illicit sex? Explain. I don't follow your thinking. To me it is without facts. If is because your belief indoctrination teaches you this, please say so because the Bible does not.

The problem I have with engaging with you on this subject, is that I don't know where you're coming from. Your last post helped. I gather you do not believe in the Bible. Why would you interpret the Bible if you don't believe it? Why does it matter what Jesus said or what he meant, if he was nobody special, much less the Son of God?

Jesus said "whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her, hath already committed adultery in his heart.". Adultery is a sin. Lusting for adultery is a sin. I would say that lusting in this context is more than looking and noticing that someone is sexually attractive. It's more than an instinctive reaction to desire sex at the physical level. This lust which is equal to adultery means perhaps that one wants to commit adultery. Perhaps he or she is held back only for fear of getting caught or getting into trouble. He is not restrained out of love or respect for self, God, or spouse. In this case, he has "committed adultery in his heart."

When you say there is only one sin, I'm not sure what you mean. Of course we have Jesus telling us to love the Lord God with all of our hearts and to love our fellow man as ourselves. On this hang all the law and the prophets. I would argue that if one does this, he will not steal, commit adultery, etc. Nevertheless those remain sins.

Actually, the Greatest Commandment removes the Law for Christianity. But then your are right about the heart. And that is what it is all about but your indoctrination is getting in the way. That may or may not matter; what's getting in your way but then what does get in the way is using moralism to judge others. Not that you've said that but then there is that real possibility. Sin is singular but Christianity makes it plural.