• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Sanatan Dharma

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
He went on to explain that St. Francis of Assisi's teachings were branded as Sanatana Dharma by Indian locals, which he saw as support for his conclusion.
And what were we doing before St. Francis of Assisi (1181/1182 – 1226) appeared on the scene? Start with untruth to reach truth? Pitiable.
Poeticus, are you saying a Sanatani is like an universalist?
Those who insist on it are generally chauvinists.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There is a similar sentiment held in Sikhi. If someone goes to a Sikh forum and starts talking about "dharma" (or Sanatan Dharma), the people there are likely to go on defensive, because they will interpret the person as being a Hindu with the intent of making Sikhi appear like it was a branch of the Hindu religion family tree, and undermining Sikhi's uniqueness and replacing it's unique interpretations with older Hindu ones.
Well, I tried to find uniqueness in Buddhism and Sikhism, but was not able to find it. But perhaps that should be another topic.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
And what were we doing before St. Francis of Assisi (1181/1182 – 1226) appeared on the scene? Start with untruth to reach truth? Pitiable.Those who insist on it are generally chauvinists.

Maybe I wasn't clear. The tale does not deny that there was Sanatana Dharma before St. Francis.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
I apologize for butting in:

There are Sanatani-s that believe every religion is Hindu, and they
are all Hinduaic. This is misleading, however. It is the traditional Hindus
that usually point out the unneeded amalgamations, amalgamations
which were taken into account w/o consultation of the practitioners of
those [mis]appropriated faiths. e.g., Even Buddhists and Sikhs will point
out that they are not Hindu, and often times, understandably and rightly
so, feel uncomfortable with such misidentification.​

resprctfully I must point out that this is not the veiw of all sanatani , .....no, every religion is not Hindu , allthough all religions may contain some of the same truths by way of realisation , most sanatani to my knowledge do not advocate amalgamation , they merely advocate the respect of equal truths where they exist .

''Even Buddhists and Sikhs will point
out that they are not Hindu,''
.... this is quite obviously so , but this does not mean that we do not share many principles .....

why create un nececary divisions have you not observed from history that divisions cause wars ?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend discple,

Well, one could write that anything "came before" it being recorded/ or written about.
That's it!
Sanatan Dharma is that dharma which was before any dharma came about been recorded or written.

Love & rgds

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I suppose a doctrine that sees itself as Universal (the literal meaning of "Catholic") does not find it too odd to be considered Eternal as well.

It was odd to see him warn me not to be caught speaking of Dharma, I must admit :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I suppose a doctrine that sees itself as Universal (the literal meaning of "Catholic") does not find it too odd to be considered Eternal as well.
We call it 'zabardasti'. Just like 'sanatana', irrespective of and rough riding over whether someone likes it or not.

Zabardasti: Compusion, force, oppression, constraint, enforcement, impressment, per force, ravishment, strong-hand.
Marwari equivalent: Dhingane, whether someone likes it or not (perhaps Poeticus would understand).

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Luis and others,
Let us understand a doctrine though universal could be perceived as limited for only those who accept and follow it in totality and this perception is created by the few who does so exclusively and sobecomes fixed mentally with such a notion but when we speak of. Dharma it has no dictrine but still the word is held mentally by some to be proprietory.
Love & rgds

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We are not discussing such dharmas, we are just trying to understand the words 'sanatan dharma' and what it stands for.
'Sanatana Dharma' is like 'scotch-whisky'. What is not made in Scotland is not 'scotch-whisky' or what is not grown in Dehradun is not Basmati rice. Joking :)

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Aupmanyav,

It is plain water. It was there before you drank it and knew what it is and it will there even after you/we [humans]are no more. That is erternal.

Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend disciple,

The following is what BINGO means to me. ::yes:

John Orchard
This man from Lincolnshire was 60 years old at the time that he won. He was a grandfather of three and certainly has the resources to spoil these children now that he has become one of the lucky people to take home the grand prize from online Bingo. He beat a record in winning that had been set back in 2009. His winning totalled 6.3 million pounds, allowing him to trade in his old car for a brand new Jaguar XF.

Georgios M.
This name represents the player that held the former record for online Bingo winnings before Mr. Orchard came on the scene. Little is known of this player outside of the total of his winnings and the fact that he is of Greek origin. He took home 5.1 million pounds and lived out his dream life in virtual anonymity.

Soraya Lowell

A women living in Lancashire, Mrs. Lowell took home a considerable sum the very first time that she tried her hand at online Bingo. Beginners luck or not, she now has the resources to play as much online bingo as her heart may desire. At the end of the day, her bank account was up by a record-setting 1.2 million pounds.

Lisa Potter
While her husband was deeply engaged in watching football, this eager player pulled a ticket that earned her 1.3 million pounds. Mrs. Potter resides in Oxfordshire and has plenty of winnings to now take her husband to see footy in person.

Anna L.
Another virtually anonymous winner, this player was awarded 25,000 pounds just this past year. While her winnings seem to be considerably less than the winners mentioned above, it is once in a blue moon that winnings exceed numbers above one million pounds. Nonetheless, the freedom allowed by this kind of cash is considerable.

Love & rgds