• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is privilege

Do you agree

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Audie

Veteran Member
That's written like someone who does not know many on the bottom if any and displays ignorance of the vast majority of the truly needy.

https://www.whiteponyexpress.org/news https://www.followingfrancis.org/ are two organizations that have my cash, my volunteer time and my total support.

View attachment 57944

Theres nothing in what I said that indicates a need for name calling.

I was Not even referring to those " on the bottom" as even a cursory rresding of what I
actually said would show.

Im not taking some sort of enemy side here!

While I do not particularly interact with
those " on the bottom" I sure know they are there.
I do employ an lady from a 3rd world country as
a maid, and pay her twice the legal standard.
A previous maid went back to Iloilo with 15,000
USD I gave her.
Im not wonderful, but I do have a heart and ftm.,
I think it improbable that you have given 1% of
what I have to help poor people.

So..not that its a one- up game, but to say
that rather than negative assumptions and name calling, plz consider me to be " on your. side"? Yah? :D

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Doing some reading tonight(well I do every night) and came across this and thought I would put it out for your alls thoughts.

View attachment 57938

Privilege is others making assumptions about your social status mostly, based on your physical features. This is usually based on a superficial interaction.

There is also privilege which comes with actual social status i.e. wealth and power.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If you want a system where it's better for 10,000 to suffer to stop one from getting away with something, I have no issue with opposing that philosophy 10000%
1589721156-467c446779077fb37f11760329c49434.jpg

Lain

Doing some reading tonight(well I do every night) and came across this and thought I would put it out for your alls thoughts.

View attachment 57938

Is the point that it is a gift for the poor to receive welfare? In that case it surely is, and may they continue to receive it and be blessed by it, for the Lord has given it to them. And it is a privilege as most of the poor who have ever lived or even live now to my knowledge have not been so fortunate. It's a great thing our society is able to do this. In my opinion at least.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is the point that it is a gift for the poor to receive welfare? In that case it surely is, and may they continue to receive it and be blessed by it, for the Lord has given it to them. And it is a privilege as most of the poor who have ever lived or even live now to my knowledge have not been so fortunate. It's a great thing our society is able to do this. In my opinion at least.
Tis still a privilege to receive government largesse.
Perhaps many think of "privilege" as belonging to
some elite class seen as having it better. If we look
at individuals, we can see that privilege is diverse &
broader than tribal membership.

Lain

Tis still a privilege to receive government largesse.
Perhaps many think of "privilege" as belonging to
some elite class seen as having it better. If we look
at individuals, we can see that privilege is diverse &
broader than tribal membership.

Indeed. Privilege comes in many forms and one can consider it from many angles. I consider simply being a US citizen to be a privilege, and then I have certain privileges in a US context, and one can further divide it within this nation who has more or less of them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Indeed. Privilege comes in many forms and one can consider it from many angles. I consider simply being a US citizen to be a privilege, and then I have certain privileges in a US context, and one can further divide it within this nation who has more or less of them.
That seems an overly broad use of the term "privilege".

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
People's welfare / public assistance just seems kind of a cliche thing to focus on instead of the millions of dollars misused over the small business loans in the first stimulus package, according to news stories.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Are You Privileged?

That's not what is usually meant by privilege. It generally refers to advantages one has, often without being aware of it. If you're a tall, straight, good looking, white Christian male, your life will be easier than if you are not all of those, and as I said, possibly without being aware of how those things give one advantages. Of course, if you're intelligent, well educated, or wealthy, you also have privilege, but that is more apparent.

This meme is just a reworking of the welfare queen trope, and is an effort to indoctrinate whomever it can to believe that government help looks like what is reported there - nothing but a chance to be lazy and game the system.

What people that promote this kind of thinking actually object to is any help whatsoever for the needy, so they frame them as lazy and corrupt. What they actually object to is child tax credits, stimulus payments, the SNAP program, and the like. Just more hatred and bigotry, and nothing to do with privilege, which you can be sure the authors of this actually enjoy.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Thats about as x- treme as the post.

There is abuse of the welfare system, sometimes very large scale.

Small scale, a friend at uni supporting herself
with a part time job was fuming about a guy
with a stack of t bone steaks from arms length to his chin, paid for with public assistance.

It happens sometimes, but I don't think its the norm. And it doesn't always work out cleanly. Perhaps he got a stack of T bones, but that may have been all he got.

We used to have a roommate years ago. The guy was the definition of mooch. While we both received food stamps(our incomes and were separate, and we did not eat together), my husband worked and he didn't, and he received more as a lone man than we did as a family of 3. He would go out once a month, stock up on Reeces, Whoopers, Pepsi, and Pringles(that was all he would eat). Eventually, he tried to commit suicide. I took him to the hospital, and they put him in the psychiatric ward. Three days later, they booted him out, despite him still saying he would try it again. No insurance. They're legally required to keep you 3 days, but after that, tough tooties. So, while he got a full ride regarding food(and we got stuck housing him), he didn't have what he really needed, which was good psychiatric care(and perhaps that would have changed his lifestyle, as well).

We had another jerk neighbor who used to take his girlfriend's FIP(money meant for single mothers)payout, go to the gas station, remove it from the FIP card as cash, buy a case of beer and take the rest to the strip club. The money was meant for clothing and other needs for the kids. It wasn't the kids' fault he did that, and it isn't necessarily the government being suckered, as almost every other person I knew getting FIP money used it for... well, normal stuff.

The thing is, we hear about the abuses. No one remarks "Hey, my cousin got food stamps, and he spent it on food!" because these circumstances don't illicit emotional responses. There are many people out there on public assistance, but no one knows because they don't talk about it, use it legally and wisely, and no attention is brought to them.

Audie

Veteran Member
It happens sometimes, but I don't think its the norm. And it doesn't always work out cleanly. Perhaps he got a stack of T bones, but that may have been all he got.

We used to have a roommate years ago. The guy was the definition of mooch. While we both received food stamps(our incomes and were separate, and we did not eat together), my husband worked and he didn't, and he received more as a lone man than we did as a family of 3. He would go out once a month, stock up on Reeces, Whoopers, Pepsi, and Pringles(that was all he would eat). Eventually, he tried to commit suicide. I took him to the hospital, and they put him in the psychiatric ward. Three days later, they booted him out, despite him still saying he would try it again. No insurance. They're legally required to keep you 3 days, but after that, tough tooties. So, while he got a full ride regarding food(and we got stuck housing him), he didn't have what he really needed, which was good psychiatric care(and perhaps that would have changed his lifestyle, as well).

We had another jerk neighbor who used to take his girlfriend's FIP(money meant for single mothers)payout, go to the gas station, remove it from the FIP card as cash, buy a case of beer and take the rest to the strip club. The money was meant for clothing and other needs for the kids. It wasn't the kids' fault he did that, and it isn't necessarily the government being suckered, as almost every other person I knew getting FIP money used it for... well, normal stuff.

The thing is, we hear about the abuses. No one remarks "Hey, my cousin got food stamps, and he spent it on food!" because these circumstances don't illicit emotional responses. There are many people out there on public assistance, but no one knows because they don't talk about it, use it legally and wisely, and no attention is brought to them.
Lots of jerks! Report it when you can, i guess.

Audie

Veteran Member
That's not what is usually meant by privilege. It generally refers to advantages one has, often without being aware of it. If you're a tall, straight, good looking, white Christian male, your life will be easier than if you are not all of those, and as I said, possibly without being aware of how those things give one advantages. Of course, if you're intelligent, well educated, or wealthy, you also have privilege, but that is more apparent.

This meme is just a reworking of the welfare queen trope, and is an effort to indoctrinate whomever it can to believe that government help looks like what is reported there - nothing but a chance to be lazy and game the system.

What people that promote this kind of thinking actually object to is any help whatsoever for the needy, so they frame them as lazy and corrupt. What they actually object to is child tax credits, stimulus payments, the SNAP program, and the like. Just more hatred and bigotry, and nothing to do with privilege, which you can be sure the authors of this actually enjoy.

How do you know what is actually in all of their minds?

Audie

Veteran Member
People's welfare / public assistance just seems kind of a cliche thing to focus on instead of the millions of dollars misused over the small business loans in the first stimulus package, according to news stories.

There are lots of issues that needvattention.

Doesnt need to be either / or

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Lots of jerks! Report it when you can, i guess.

That's the thing, though. There wasn't a lot of jerks. There was just a few. For those two turds, I can think of even more people that were receiving benefits that weren't buying T-bones, beer, or candy.

It would be nice if the programs were a little more specific to prevent abuse(like the SNAP program not being able to be used for pop or candy), but there's no reason to scrap the whole system. Just adjust.

Lain

That seems an overly broad use of the term "privilege".

Why so? I use it to mean in that context as "some benefit a person has that another doesn't have." Of course this can be just a gift (like to be born in a good nation), a justly given benefit (to have parents which take care of you), or an unjustly given benefit (such as social benefits given based on race and the deprivation of justice to others). So it would apply to that for me.

Audie

Veteran Member
That's the thing, though. There wasn't a lot of jerks. There was just a few. For those two turds, I can think of even more people that were receiving benefits that weren't buying T-bones, beer, or candy.

It would be nice if the programs were a little more specific to prevent abuse(like the SNAP program not being able to be used for pop or candy), but there's no reason to scrap the whole system. Just adjust.

Absolutely.

Scrap it and have great hardship and, a revoluti9n brewing.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The funny thing is that a lot of people who read that ad or article and nod sagely will be people who spend a fair amount of time avoiding paying their taxes.
Indeed. The hypocrisy is palpable.
I think I managed to avoid such a mindset because my father was on pension when I was growing up. So whilst I was never living rough, I did know the working class and folks who were on welfare in some sense of the word. Sure I saw a few scams. But most were just getting by and trying their best to budget for food (and for some, cigarettes. Australia seems to have a very high tax on ciggies, so they’re pretty expensive. Even more so than some booze.)