• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is odd about the Book of Mormon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogue Cardinal

Devil's Advocate
I believe that "Christianity" was popular in America at that time and Mr. Smith believed there was money and power to be had. Why did Judas do what he did? For that very reason (See John 12:6).
Only if you belief the bible.

The Gospel of Judas would show that Judas was a faithful servant that did his part to help serve the Lord. Making a mockery of the biblical depiction of Judas as a traitor.

DavyCrocket2003

Regardless of whether Judas is a traitor, there is a big difference between betraying your master to his murderers and writing an uplifting and inspiring book. I would find it extremely odd and ironic if greed and desire for fame/glory were behind the Book of Mormon. You would have millions of people coming to Christ based on a deception. Now I would definitely find that odd.:)

Jeremiah

Nephi has such a high opinion of himself...

I Nephi 1:1
I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.

It sounds like it's all about him.

That's a stupid criticism.

Jeremiah

It seems to me the only reason LittleNipper created this thread was to generate antipathy towards Mormonism. Just spreading the hate; first it was homosexuals and now it is Mormons.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
It seems to me the only reason LittleNipper created this thread was to generate antipathy towards Mormonism. Just spreading the hate; first it was homosexuals and now it is Mormons.
Took 44 posts for someone to finally come out and just say it.

Humanistheart

I find that the Book of Mormon is very odd when stacked against the Holy Scripture. Do others see issues also?

Besides the general linguistic differences, the bible is a mythologized history, that is history that has been interwoven with fantasy, where as the book of mormon is entirely fantasy. At least some of the cities talked about in the bible have been dug up, where as nothing the BoA has mentioned has ever been found.

Humanistheart

Jermiah, in answer to the question posted in your icon, god may very well judge you for loving. Keep in mind in the bible the isrealites were punished for not completing genocide out of mercy. And god was quite annoyed with abraham for his continual searching for mercy in the sodom and gamorah situation. God doesn't seem to have a problem with hate, but he does not tolderate love and mercy very well.

Jeremiah

Jermiah, in answer to the question posted in your icon, god may very well judge you for loving. Keep in mind in the bible the isrealites were punished for not completing genocide out of mercy. And god was quite annoyed with abraham for his continual searching for mercy in the sodom and gamorah situation. God doesn't seem to have a problem with hate, but he does not tolderate love and mercy very well.

So you assume the question is referring to the god described in the Old Testament?

Humanistheart

So you assume the question is referring to the god described in the Old Testament?

Given the spelling and usuage it's a safe bet to assume you are reffering to the christian god. And christians believe the god of their old and new testament are one and the same so, yes, yes I am.

Jeremiah

Given the spelling and usuage it's a safe bet to assume you are reffering to the christian god. And christians believe the god of their old and new testament are one and the same so, yes, yes I am.

"Given the spelling and usuage it's a safe bet to assume you are reffering to the christian god."

Actually, since "God" is such a subjective and personal word it is, in my mind, up to the reader to interpret it however they see fit. As such most people, despite discrepancies, believe "God" to be benevolent and in favor of love over hate. The Bible, despite what some may think, is not the only standard at which people recognize "God". Yes, it does inspire the idea and foster it but "God" has evolved far beyond the confines of that book, especially the text in the Old Testament. Even to the devout Christian this still seems to be commonly true; it is unavoidable that the reader will imprint their own self on what is read, and the resulting belief in "God" will be a mergence of self and scripture. Not only that, but belief in "God" is very cultural and many aspect, of "God", may solely exist only in our zeitgeist. To really understand what the word "God" means you have to listen to the way people use it and what people say about "God".

Further more, most people do not believe The Bible in its entirety, most people do not believe The Bible to be literal truth, and the vast majority of believers are not going to interpret those passages in the same manner you do. You do not get to set the standard on what constitutes "God" and what does not, nor do you get to say, for everyone else, what parts are truths of "God" or how they should be understood.

Also, the question in my AV is not really about about "God" it is using the word "God" as way convey a message. And if there are some inconsistency in the word "God" itself, that is irrelevant to the point of the question (which most people can figure out despite the ambiguity of the word "God".)

Last edited:

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
From what I've read of the BOM, the content was complimentary to bilbical scripture that I've read.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
2nd Nephi 18:
9 Associate yourselves, O ye people, and ye shall be broken in pieces; and give ear all ye of far countries; gird yourselves, and ye shall be broken in pieces; gird yourselves, and ye shall be broken in pieces.

10 Take counsel together, and it shall come to naught; speak the word, and it shall not stand; for God is with us.

11 For the Lord spake thus to me with a strong hand, and instructed me that I should not walk in the way of this people, saying:

12 Say ye not, A confederacy, to all to whom this people shall say, A confederacy; neither fear ye their fear, nor be afraid.

13 Sanctify the Lord of Hosts himself, and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread.

14 And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling, and for a rock of offense to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.

It makes sense to me why you would think they way you do. The Book of Mormon is a stone of stumbling for many. It was also prophesied of in 2nd Nephi 29:
2 And also, that I may remember the promises which I have made unto thee, Nephi, and also unto thy father, that I would remember your seed; and that the words of your seed should proceed forth out of my mouth unto your seed; and my words shall hiss forth unto the ends of the earth, for a standard unto my people, which are of the house of Israel;

3 And because my words shall hiss forth—many of the Gentiles shall say: A Bible! A Bible! We have got a Bible, and there cannot be any more Bible.
4 But thus saith the Lord God: O fools, they shall have a Bible; and it shall proceed forth from the Jews, mine ancient covenant people. And what thank they the Jews for the Bible which they receive from them? Yea, what do the Gentiles mean? Do they remember the travails, and the labors, and the pains of the Jews, and their diligence unto me, in bringing forth salvation unto the Gentiles? 5 O ye Gentiles, have ye remembered the Jews, mine ancient covenant people? Nay; but ye have cursed them, and have hated them, and have not sought to recover them. But behold, I will return all these things upon your own heads; for I the Lord have not forgotten my people.

6 Thou fool, that shall say: A Bible, we have got a Bible, and we need no more Bible. Have ye obtained a Bible save it were by the Jews?

7 Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea, even upon all the nations of the earth?

8 Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also.

9 And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever.
so no it is not surprising, you're just fulfilling prophecy.

Humanistheart

"Given the spelling and usuage it's a safe bet to assume you are reffering to the christian god."

Actually, since "God" is such a subjective and personal word it is, in my mind, up to the reader to interpret it however they see fit. As such most people, despite discrepancies, believe "God" to benevolent and in favor of love over hate. quote]

The reader of what? Perhaps you mean the bible. If by interpret you mean believe what they want to believe dispite all presedent and written word, than sure. How many god's in lore, from any religion, can you name that are entirely peaceful and loving?

Last edited:

Humanistheart

2nd Nephi 18:

It makes sense to me why you would think they way you do. The Book of Mormon is a stone of stumbling for many. It was also prophesied of in 2nd Nephi 29:

so no it is not surprising, you're just fulfilling prophecy.

Upon re-reading this I'm not sure what point, if any you're trying to make, and what defence of said point you think you've put forth.

Last edited:

linwood

Actually, since "God" is such a subjective and personal word it is, in my mind, up to the reader to interpret it however they see fit. As such most people, despite discrepancies, believe "God" to benevolent and in favor of love over hate. quote]

The reader of what? Perhaps you mean the bible. If by interpret you mean believe what they want to believe dispite all presendent and written word, than sure. How many god's in lore, from any religion, can you name that are entirely peaceful and loving?

He means the reader of his avatar.

You`ve got to get past this Abrahamic roadblock concerning religion.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
The pre-existence compliments the biblical scriptures you've read does it? What scripture might that be?

I've read little of the BOM but I did comment to a LDS that it shocked me when I felt the holy spirit while reading. That's all I have to share, really.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.