• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is nonbinary?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
"I don't really get non-binary myself"

Same as I don't really get transgenders or non-binary
Yeah, but you come off as not evem wanting to try to understand. I don't get it, I don't understand, at times I think it's because it's youth culture and I'm not young myself, but it is what it is and it does no one any good to intrude and impede and be a jerk because I don't get it. No, I can't tell you why she a tomboy while someone else who seems that way isn't, but oh well. That's all on me and not reason emough to act like my ignorance is garbage to dump on them.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yeah, the majority of people are civil and respectful in person, regardless of their internal ideas about it.

It's funny how these people who spend so much time complaining about it online very rarely rear their head in person.
I take it's more a social media topic, trending, than it is in real actual life.

We Never Know

No Slack
Yeah, but you come off as not evem wanting to try to understand. I don't get it, I don't understand, at times I think it's because it's youth culture and I'm not young myself, but it is what it is and it does no one any good to intrude and impede and be a jerk because I don't get it. No, I can't tell you why she a tomboy while someone else who seems that way isn't, but oh well. That's all on me and not reason emough to act like my ignorance is garbage to dump on them.

I try to understand others who don't bite my head off when I ask questions like you do. I gave up on you a while back.

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
I take it's more a social media topic, trending, than it is in real actual life.

You mean the existence of nonbinary people? I think it's much more uncommon in your age bracket, but as someone who spends time at a university, it's definitely not an online phenomenon.

3 out of my 7 coworkers use they/them pronouns and identify as nonbinary. In other spaces I frequent, at least 1 in 10 people identify as nonbinary (EDIT: that may be an overestimation... but I do think its between 5%-10% of the people I meet). I am close with over a dozen nonbinary people in real life.

But from what I've seen, again, most people are civil to my nonbinary friends. They've never experienced hate in person.

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
For what it's worth, there have been a couple of posts where I believe We Never Known has been making a genuine effort and making some good faith inquiries. Can't comment on how they come off overall, though, just want to give at least some credit.

I'd rather believe most people are just on the outside looking in, and finding it difficult, rather than not looking at all. At the very least, I think there's a marked difference between We Never Know and certain other posters.

JDMS

Academic Workhorse

To be fair, while @We Never Know has had some issues in the past (and in particular, perhaps asking someone about their genitals was inappropriate), I feel as though he has made some progress in my time watching, and is typically receptive to non-aggressive feedback. While I can't say I agree with many things he says, I respect that he's far different from certain people here, and at the very least stays curious about the matter rather than being aggressively assertive.

We Never Know

No Slack
To be fair, while @We Never Know has had some issues in the past (and in particular, perhaps asking someone about their genitals was inappropriate), I feel as though he has made some progress in my time watching, and is typically receptive to non-aggressive feedback. While I can't say I agree with many things he says, I respect that he's far different from certain people here, and at the very least stays curious about the matter rather than being aggressively assertive.

I ask many questions even some that may be seen as inappropriate.

Those questions tell me if they are fully transitioned or are still male but living as a female.

Question are better than this lol

Edit......

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
I ask many questions even some that may be seen as inappropriate.

Those questions tell me if they are fully transitioned or are still male but living as a female.

Which, in my opinion, is an unfair thing to ask unless you plan on having sexual relations with someone, or otherwise have good reason to ask. I can only think of a few situations where would be appropriate to ask about someone's sensitive medical history or private parts. There's a reason why HIPAA privacy rights and other things exist.

We Never Know

No Slack
Which, in my opinion, is an unfair thing to ask unless you plan on having sexual relations with someone, or otherwise have good reason to ask. I can only think of a few situations where would be appropriate to ask about someone's sensitive medical history or private parts. There's a reason why HIPAA privacy rights and other things exist.

If they aren't fully transitioned I will generally view them as a male living as a female.

If they are fully transitioned, then hopefully they have body parts that match the mind.

It may sound cruel or mean but that's how I see it.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
If they aren't fully transitioned I will generally view them as a male living as a female.

If they are fully transitioned, then hopefully they have body parts that match the mind.

But that you view them, is not something you see, that is a cognitive process in your brain.

Kfox

Except how they do that varies, and has always varied.

Also, it's probably more like 99/98%.

Also, as we have already established, you cannot assess their biology - you can only assess their appearance or what they tell you.
My point is; their biology has a lot to do with it.
Right, so restricting classifications to biology is useless.
No, it tells (for example) men who don’t align with male stereotypes that you don’t have to fit those stereotypes in order to be a man.
The same. Some mammals are also born with a mix of feminine or masculine traits, or both or neither set of genitalia.
Same as what? Your claim was that only mammals are bimodal; not humans. It sounds like from your description bimodal is the same as binary.

JDMS

Academic Workhorse

I find this perspective to be curious. No offense. I just don't understand it.

Do you believe that sex reassignment surgeries actually change the sex of the person, or do you believe that it merely changes the appearance and functionality of the genitals?

I want to be clear before I continue.

We Never Know

No Slack
But that you view them, is not something you see, that is a cognitive process in your brain.

To a point I agree. Its basically "don't judge a book by its cover"

Yet DNA study is a scientific/biological process that will still show a transgender female as male(or transgender male as female).

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Same as what? Your claim was that only mammals are bimodal; not humans. It sounds like from your description bimodal is the same as binary.

We are not mammals and our brains are not biological. We are so special that we are not a part of nature. To claim that we are natural is abnormal and wrong.