• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is needed to perform an excorcism?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I mean what the does the priest say and do and want items does he need to use and how does he use them?
I would be VERY leery of offering/accepting any advice here focusing on the validity of exorcisms.

My only advice would be to consult trained medical/psychiatric personnel and go with their recommendations.

:cool:

Marble

Rolling Marble
The Catholic Church uses the Rituale Romanum for this (if I'm not wrong).
You could see if you find an English translation somewhere.
As for other Christian denominations, no idea.

BruceDLimber

>What is needed to perform an exorcism?

First off, a considerable amount of superstition!

Given that God is One, Supreme, and has no rival or equal, there's no "devil" out there trying to "get us."

And "satan" merely refers to our own lower (animal) nature when we give it control instead of our higher (spiritual) nature.

Simple as that. :)

Peace,

Bruce

A

angellous_evangellous

OK:

The exorcist's handbook
Holy Water
Crucifix
Preist robes
Ropes
Chains
AC/DC
Soundtrack to Platoon
Rosary
Video camera

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Do possessed people really become like the zombie type creatures you see in the movies?
No. And not even in the movies are they depicted like zombies lol.

Here is a FAQ on Demons and possesions.FAQ ON Demons, Possession, Exorcism and

The Church further gives the following as potential signs of demonic possession:
  • Speaking in a language the individual does not know.
  • Scratching, cutting, biting of the skin.
  • Profound display of strength.
  • Sleeplessness.
  • Lack of appetite.
  • Aversion to anything holy, such as mentioning the name of Jesus or Mary, or the act of praying.
  • Strong or violent reaction to holy water.

Should also be noted the Priest who does excorcism takes a lot of time to find out if it is actual possesion, or not. There is usually a team of psycologist and the likes to make sure the person does not have a legit mental problem.

Jeneshisu

Smile ^^
It's hard to define what a "legit" mental problem might be though. My personal belief that if one believes that said spirit is present and they are completely vulnerable to suggestion, then possession happens. And just as easily, after it is "exorcised" out of them, then they are convinced that demon is gone, so it's gone.

This is also why all cases of possession are within Christian communities and those who believe such spirits exist.

But whatever works, works I guess. But some methods are horrendously barbaric.

Levite

Higher and Higher
I believe the requirements for exorcism vary from religion to religion.

Most people in America and Europe are familiar, through pop culture, with the Catholic rite of exorcism. For that, if I recall right (Catholics please correct me if I am wrong) you need an ordained Catholic priest, the liturgy of exorcism, some holy water, and, if possible, a consecrated host and some chrism.

From what I have read and been told by Catholic priests, the Church is quite conservative about exorcism, and demands some significant proof that exorcism is actually required, and that the individual is not the victim of some sort of psychological disorder, or social maladjustment, or feigning possession. That said, it is also true (I am told) that the number of exorcisms permitted by the Vatican has risen steadily in recent years, and more priests have been granted training in the rites of exorcism than has been seen in some time. Which I suppose may be food for thought in various ways.

In any case, I think many Protestant sects demand much less accoutrements for exorcism-- it's all about the laying on of hands, as I have been told.

There is no single accepted rite of exorcism in Jewish tradition, but many rabbis have performed exorcisms (historically), and they are still said to be done, occasionally, in the Haredi (ultra-Orthodox fundamentalist) communities-- more in the Mizrahi (Middle Eastern) Haredi communities than in the Ashkenazi (Central/Eastern European). Rites and liturgies seem to be very much the more or less spontaneous works of such rabbis that have found it needful to perform exorcisms, although some books of "low" Kabbalah have made recommendations on particularly efficacious psalms to recite, and other methodologies.

I do not know what exorcism looks like in the Islamic world. It seems hard to believe they would not have the concept, even if only in Sufi traditions. But, to my shame, I am ignorant of this.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
It's hard to define what a "legit" mental problem might be though. My personal belief that if one believes that said spirit is present and they are completely vulnerable to suggestion, then possession happens. And just as easily, after it is "exorcised" out of them, then they are convinced that demon is gone, so it's gone.

This is also why all cases of possession are within Christian communities and those who believe such spirits exist.

But whatever works, works I guess. But some methods are horrendously barbaric.

That is why extensive work is done to make sure the problem is a legit possession. And there are also signs to, such as speaking an unknown language, and a negative reaction to holy things.

Possessions happen outside of Christian communities. They just have a different name, and are usually looked over.