• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Michelangelo saying in The Creation of Adam?

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
And that picture looks nothing like what is being depicted.

All right, whatever....I'll just keep my opinions and apparently outlandish observation to myself. Even though there are several anatomical similarities, it's obviously just an oval shaped amorphous blob that God is riding on. Since people in the 1500's, like Michelangelo, were apparently too stupid to know what a brain cross section looked like despite having dissected numerous bodies and being renowned for genius and exceptional memory, it must be a coincidence that I've concocted with my overactive imagination. I'm sorry for wasting your time with my nonsense.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
All right, whatever....I'll just keep my opinions and apparently outlandish observation to myself. Even though there are several anatomical similarities, it's obviously just an oval shaped amorphous blob that God is riding on. Since people in the 1500's, like Michelangelo, were apparently too stupid to know what a brain cross section looked like despite having dissected numerous bodies and being renowned for genius and exceptional memory, it must be a coincidence that I've concocted with my overactive imagination. I'm sorry for wasting your time with my nonsense.
No one is saying Michelangelo was stupid, or uninformed. We are saying that you are reading too much into this picture, and that the object doesn't look like a brain.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
No one is saying Michelangelo was stupid, or uninformed. We are saying that you are reading too much into this picture, and that the object doesn't look like a brain.

i-8f3e98954abf5fe1ae31ef7866873835-paluzzisistine.jpg

maybe this helps.

kylixguru

You might notice that God seems to be sitting on/riding on a human brain. What is Michelangelo trying to say in this piece of art? Is he saying God is a product of the human brain, that God and the mind are related, maybe that God created the brain?
This is most definitely non-coincidental.
Adam is not an individual made of flesh and blood as we are.
Adam is a group of individuals who had placed in their mind what to them is a brilliant idea.
This group of individuals are members of the body of Adam.

Adam is the Father of a family of spirit children, which is what formerly was just humans but who now share and subscribe to the "brilliant idea" that Adam received into his mind. This "brilliant idea" is the "breath of life" that raised mere humans into members of "man".

God is in fact the mind of Man.

God's body is composed of those humans who have been spiritually born to that level of understanding.

If all of humanity yielded to the dominion of this "brilliant idea", we would have a perpetual garden paradise. As it stands, we know the rest of the story. Paradise Lost.

Add: This is also hinted at when we consider how Adam and Eve reproduced. "And Adam KNEW his wife and she CONCEIVED."

Last edited:

kylixguru

If you look at Michelangelo's The Creation of Adam:

michelangelo33.jpeg
Notice the lack of pubic hair.
This suggests the painter also understood that the first human to receive the transfer of the "divine mind" to his mind was just a prepubescent boy who was fairly large in stature.

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
When I look at the outline of the continent of Africa it closely resembles a primitive human skull: with a low cranial vault and high brow-ridges, even a receding chin. Paleontologists have evidence that humanity began in Africa. Coincidence? Or a hint from God?
Now I see something similiar going on here. God made Michaelangelo a great artist, arranged for him to paint the Sistine Chapel, all the while knowing he would depict the heavenly host in the outline of a brain. God is hinting He is here if we only open our minds fully, like a cross-sected brain. This is God's idea of fun.

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I just love how you totally ignored my point that even if an artist does make a deliberate reference, it doesn't necessarily express personal views.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I know that Michelangelo worked at anatomy. That is why his statues were so realistic. But as to whether he painted God's throne as a brain or not is purely supposition. We can't know for sure and never will know for sure. It's like an inkblot test, if you really think about it. Some people see a brain, others see a love seat, and others may see a bunny rabbit.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I know that Michelangelo worked at anatomy. That is why his statues were so realistic. But as to whether he painted God's throne as a brain or not is purely supposition. We can't know for sure and never will know for sure. It's like an inkblot test, if you really think about it. Some people see a brain, others see a love seat, and others may see a bunny rabbit.
I think it looks more like a seashell, myself, which might make it a reference to The Birth Of Venus.

kylixguru

I know that Michelangelo worked at anatomy. That is why his statues were so realistic. But as to whether he painted God's throne as a brain or not is purely supposition. We can't know for sure and never will know for sure.
I had already reached the exact same conclusion without the help of that painting.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
It looks very much like a brain and it touches directly upon what I understand about Adam.
It only looks like a brain if you want it to look like a brain. And what you understand about Adam just isn't historical. If you want to discuss that further, we can in a different thread.

kylixguru

It only looks like a brain if you want it to look like a brain.
The way it was painted, in general, resembles a brain.
You can be argumentative and nit pic and be impossible about it.
Or, you can admit that the painter appears to be deliberate in his efforts.

And what you understand about Adam just isn't historical.
That's partially true and partially false.
What I believe about Adam is occurring present tense, as well as it happened in the past too.
What I believe about Adam shall also happen again in about another 6000 years, and again in another, and so on.

If you want to discuss that further, we can in a different thread.
If you wish to ask me further questions feel free to start one and PM me.

Last edited:

kylixguru

Not really. It looks like an oval. The fact that brains also look like ovals doesn't mean much, considering that it's a very basic shape.
There is more similarity than just an oval.
That was amply demonstrated.
The major outline was nearly a perfect fit.

Add: For example, the vertebral artery and the green ribbon are a match that indicates much more detail than just an oval. Did you take notice of that in post #23 yet?

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
:shrug:

If you think it looks like a brain, more power to you. I don't. It really doesn't matter until someone insists that their interpretation MUST be the artist's intention. That's really the only thing I take issue with.

kylixguru

:shrug:

If you think it looks like a brain, more power to you. I don't. It really doesn't matter until someone insists that their interpretation MUST be the artist's intention. That's really the only thing I take issue with.
Why shrug your shoulders. That looks like a cop-out to me.
You said that beyond being oval shaped that there is no further similarity.
I pointed you to look at the pictures in post #23 to look at the green ribbon in the top picture and the red artery in the lower picture. Did you do that or not?

Please do so and then let me know if you agree the similarity goes beyond just an oval.

Of course, you are welcome to scoff at my notion, but you should at least take into consideration the level of detail that is actually present.

Last edited: