• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Michelangelo saying in The Creation of Adam?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I'm just amazed you guys don't see the similarity. Here's a drawing of the brain from 1543:

renaissance2.jpg

Having read up on it a little, Michelangelo was known to have dissected some corpses.

I do and always have.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It might fit his religious views if he did, maybe he did it subconsciously since he had a fascination with the human body.
Maybe, sure.

That's a long way from "some vaguely defined power guided his hand," or the somewhat less ridiculous "hey, that looks like a brain, so it must mean he's an atheist!"

kylixguru

OK, really? So, precisely where did all those rebuttals you just quoted come from?

If you want to "go away quietly," no one's stopping you. If you want to make false accusations, don't be surprised when I respond.
Ok, if I continue to have discussion with you, we both put aside the spirit of tussle and we simply focus on clarity and resolve. Deal?

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
Tsk, the two or you. Now well me, is there any possibility Michelangelo would even have associated the God in brain with Atheism? From all I know the phrase / idea is a very modern thought.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Tsk, the two or you. Now well me, is there any possibility Michelangelo would even have associated the God in brain with Atheism? From all I know the phrase / idea is a very modern thought.
I honestly don't know. It strikes me unlikely that a Renaissance era person would believe the mind is synonymous with the brain in the first place. There are also other possible meanings explored upthread. I'll hunt down the post.

kylixguru

That's what I was doing before you came along.
So, where do you want to go from here?

The part where you talked about art in general was nice.
I had no qualms with your points there so I didn't highligh those.

The OP is for us to discuss what Michelangelo was possibly trying to communicate by painting God and His host being inside of a human brain. Perhaps I didn't need to react so strongly against your dismissal that this was actually a brain to start with.

How about we forthwith leave that argument aside and consider enough has been said? Since, afterall, you did agree to "play along" as though he did in fact deliberately use the human brain as a template.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
So, where do you want to go from here?

The part where you talked about art in general was nice.
I had no qualms with your points there so I didn't highligh those.

The OP is for us to discuss what Michelangelo was possibly trying to communicate by painting God and His host being inside of a human brain. Perhaps I didn't need to react so strongly against your dismissal that this was actually a brain to start with.

How about we forthwith leave that argument aside and consider enough has been said? Since, afterall, you did agree to "play along" as though he did in fact deliberately use the human brain as a template.
Suits me.